Easter Weekend Football 15/17 April

andykeenan

2 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

They aren't a better team because of his presence. He can't press so the whole system is disrupted.

But ya, he scores goals.

United rarely win without him either, so he must be doing something right.

So since we lost to Arsenal meekly pretty sure three teams all below us in the league have beaten them.

Arteta is just another Solskjaer really.

Second half of Man. United game was actually pretty enjoyable. Rashica had his best game in about three years and was impressed with Lees-Melou who looks a busy midfielder. Man. United will lose about 5-0 to Liverpool the state they're in. Ronaldo will have about 10 touches in that game.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Nothing worse than a striker scoring shit loads of goals. 

Didn't Aubameyang scored 25 goals for Arsenal one season....and err they finished 8th IIRC.

It depends really. I mean we got Bent who was scoring steady for us but there were games when he'd have about 10 touches of the ball and be totally anonymous.

Only thing Ronaldo did last week v Everton for example was smash the phone after the match so you get games like that.

It won't be an issue next season anyway as you obviously can't plan for the future with a 38 year old striker.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Pep can’t make subs because that’s what people expect him to do.

His bench is loaded with CBs, DMs and Liam Delap so not much use when you're losing 3-1. Rory Delap would probably be decent option in this situation.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Didn't Aubameyang scored 25 goals for Arsenal one season....and err they finished 8th IIRC.

It depends really. I mean we got Bent who was scoring steady for us but there were games when he'd have about 10 touches of the ball and be totally anonymous.

Only thing Ronaldo did last week v Everton for example was smash the phone after the match so you get games like that.

It won't be an issue next season anyway as you obviously can't plan for the future with a 38 year old striker.

It points to the problem not being Ronaldo, is the point. They’re worse without him, so it’s not an argument.

• Like 3

Just now, VillaChris said:

So since we lost to Arsenal meekly pretty sure three teams all below us in the league have beaten them.

Arteta is just another Solskjaer really.

Second half of Man. United game was actually pretty enjoyable. Rashica had his best game in about three years and was impressed with Lees-Melou who looks a busy midfielder. Man. United will lose about 5-0 to Liverpool the state they're in. Ronaldo will have about 10 touches in that game.

Don't forget Tottenham destroyed us too, but couldn't get past Brighton today.

I know these teams are much better than us, but how they play shows we don't even have the movement. We are so static at times. I have said before, when on the rare occasion we have played at pace, which we can, we are unplayable. I'm not sure why we don't play that way more often.

Just now, a m ole said:

It points to the problem not being Ronaldo, is the point. They’re worse without him, so it’s not an argument.

Without Ronaldo they finished 2nd last season. And 3rd the season before with Dan James a regular so for his limitations OGS was getting someone else to score goals.

If he hadn't turned up Bruno would've probably just chipped in with 15-20 goals.

He didn't do anything in either leg v Atletico Madrid. To me those are the decisive games you judge the signing, not scoring a hat trick v 20th team which probably secures them 6th place now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

His bench is loaded with CBs, DMs and Liam Delap so not much use when you're losing 3-1. Rory Delap would probably be decent option in this situation.

Mahrez and De Bruyne? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Don't forget Tottenham destroyed us too, but couldn't get past Brighton today.

I know these teams are much better than us, but how they play shows we don't even have the movement. We are so static at times. I have said before, when on the rare occasion we have played at pace, which we can, we are unplayable. I'm not sure why we don't play that way more often.

Just look at the league table though. Brighton and Southampton rising above us despite both of those teams having really poor runs through Feb and March.

Just not good enough imo to accept 15th-16th spot given that was where we were when DS got sacked.

We could easily lose to Leicester unless they can barely run with all their fixtures and based on today Norwich will be competitive and give us a good game in two weeks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Very weird mental gymnastics, 25 goals for any striker is great. It’s one area of the pitch going well. If the team finishes 8th it isn’t because of the striker who scored 25. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Mahrez and De Bruyne? 

Didn't even know KDB was there given Pep was crying after Atletico maiming him in midweek.

If they lose him for the season they probably don't win the league so probably have to keep him on the bench to protect him for future games.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Without Ronaldo they finished 2nd last season. And 3rd the season before with Dan James a regular so for his limitations OGS was getting someone else to score goals.

If he hadn't turned up Bruno would've probably just chipped in with 15-20 goals.

He didn't do anything in either leg v Atletico Madrid. To me those are the decisive games you judge the signing, not scoring a hat trick v 20th team which probably secures them 6th place now.

Yeah cause when Ronaldo don't play, they are world class. Give me break, Bruno's been pants, the whole team have, an it's not cause of Ronaldo!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Very weird mental gymnastics, 25 goals for any striker is great. It’s one area of the pitch going well. If the team finishes 8th it isn’t because of the striker who scored 25. 

Arsenal finished higher when Welbeck and Giroud were their strikers. Giroud was a better all round striker for Arsenal than Aubameyang even if he didn't always hit the goal figures the top ones do.

Same principle with Firmino at Liverpool last 2-3 seasons even though he seems to be getting phased out now.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Yeah cause when Ronaldo don't play, they are world class. Give me break, Bruno's been pants, the whole team have, an it's not cause of Ronaldo!

They're broken, I just don't think the Ronaldo homecoming was worth it, that's all. They've not come close to winning anything and will still probably finish 6th so certainly a winner like Ronaldo won't be remembering the season with any fondness in a decade's time.