Underrated Movies

Chindie

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I see arguments for both.

The film is cleaner, narratively. It ties the whole thing together more simply without fundamentally changing much to some of the point.

The comic ending wouldn't work in the film. It comes completely from left field and it's (intentionally) stupid, whilst still making the the deeper points of the story and the themes, but it needs the format of the comic, that ability for someone to stew on it, to go back and look again at it. In the film you'd just be like 'what the ****' and be taken out of things entirely. The only reason the TV show works with it is because it's able to investigate it from the perspective of the aftermath and with understanding of what's going on.

But you do lose some of the depth to the story by changing it. The squid is this completely unknown enemy that immediately threatens humanity to the extent nations immediately unite in an 'Earth v whatever the **** this thing is that just **** all of us' moment. With the films ending you still the common enemy of Earth thing, but you know that that enemy was human, he was American... It's not quite the same. Also you lose the satire/parody element to it - of course the superhero comic ends with a huge ridiculous monster attack. But also the ridiculous monster is a distraction (literally and most importantly, figuratively). Alan Moore is saying to you 'here's the enemy. Look. It's big scary and stupid. But maybe the enemy is actually the boring clever people that you think are your friends'. And so on.

It wouldn't work in film. And you get most of the effect with the choices they made.

I disagree it wouldn't have worked. I'm sure that Zach Snyder couldn't have got it to work though, because, judging by all his interviews, he's a bit of an idiot with really bad taste. It needed a different tone, without the mind-numbing and really offputting soundtrack and much less style over substance.

Watchmen was an incredible book, and the film is a mindless and soulless production of it. It needed a proper craftsperson to make it, not a slow-mo greedy moron. I think I'll just have to disagree with you guys. I genuinely think it is utter pap. It made me feel much less positively about the book by association.

The TV show was great—apparently the guy who made it stewed over its development for 10 years. This kind of in depth dedication is what's important, not getting the visuals to look spot on while everything else that's great about the book just falls by the wayside.

40 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

The Last Boy Scout.

Great action movie Bruce Willis at his best.

Underrated but I love it.

Ill chuck in Hudson Hawk (probably more of a cult movie) and 12 Monkeys for Bruce Willis underrated films.

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

The Last Boy Scout.

Great action movie Bruce Willis at his best.

Underrated but I love it.

It’s one of those films that if I’m channel hopping and it’s on I always end up watching it again 

Great fun film ..I’ll even forgive that stupid jig at the end 

On 16/03/2023 at 23:53, Chindie said:

The Craft. 90s-tastic teen witches fun.

Blade. Effortlessly cool, extremely silly, rubbish CGI, but sooooo much fun.

Snatch. Legitimately one of the best films since 2000. Extremely funny, brilliant characters, fun twisting multiple narrative.

300. Once you realise that the entire thing is done from the perspective of someone telling the story and exaggerating everything, and it's basically a completely faithful adaptation of Frank Miller's comic, it's excellent. And speaking of Snyder...

Watchmen. It's about as good an adaptation of Watchmen you could do in a film. It's shot beautifully and has some incredible sequences. The opening titles set against 'the Times They Are A-Changing' showing the alternative history the film is set in, the various 'reminiscing' sequences at the funeral, Rorschach's capture, Rorschach's psych exam and memory of the night he lost it, and best of all Dr. Manhattan's origin are all brilliant bits of filmmaking.

Zodiac. It's just incredible.

Top class list but are they really underrated?

if anything, I think Lock Stock is underrated purely because it’s in Snatch’s shadow despite being at least almost as good.

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

It’s one of those films that if I’m channel hopping and it’s on I always end up watching it again 

Great fun film ..I’ll even forgive that stupid jig at the end 

What’s the stupid jig?

Bruce Willis has a thing for this - at the end of one of his Christmas movies, Die Hard 1 I think, the camera pans out as he and Holly are riding on the back of a golf buggy, but then they are replaced by manekins, on a **** gold buggy driving 5mph!

25 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

What’s the stupid jig?

He starts dancing an Irish jig on the top of the floodlight after despatching the bad guy  , for some reason it just pisses me off 

• Haha 1

Â