Witcher 4

jonah-hill-excited.gif

CD Projekt Red obviously took a hit reputation-wise with Cyberpunk (I actually enjoyed it and had very few issues, though I played it on PC) but I am so excited by this news! Witcher 3 is probably my favourite game ever and the first RPG I played properly all the way through without getting bored, can't wait to see what this new game is like.

*Probably won't be Witcher 4 per se, but a new standalone series by the looks of it.

• Like 2

Hopefully it's just further along in development than cyberpunk and they aren't under as much pressure to release it

If they're announcing this and it's still 3 years + away then they're **** idiots who've learned nothing 

And get witcher 3 on next gen first! The cynic in me thinks this announcement and those games are linked and it will generate buzz but its a bad idea

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Hopefully it's just further along in development than cyberpunk and they aren't under as much pressure to release it

If they're announcing this and it's still 3 years + away then they're **** idiots who've learned nothing 

And get witcher 3 on next gen first! The cynic in me thinks this announcement and those games are linked and it will generate buzz but its a bad idea

It's going to be on Unreal Engine 5 this time and not their own engine, so that should ease some pressure on them as they won't have to develop the engine alongside it as they did with Cyberpunk.

• Like 1

Firstly this game based on the pendant in the image probably means this game is following the School of the Cat. This potentially means an all new main character, all new locations and hopefully a very fresh feeling game with a fresh playstyle. Geralt was cool, but his combat style was very methodical and wooden, it would nice to get a main character that fits a more fluid rogue combat style. 

Secondly. I do wish they had held off on this announcement until Cyberpunk 2077 was in a slightly better state. There are some very promising developments from this announcement, but I think its timing is a little too soon. I know that this announcement is probably more to assist them in hiring more staff, but it still feels too soon. As for the promising things. They are moving to Unreal Engine 5 for this one which should streamline development massively, while also solving almost every shortcoming they had during the development of Cyberpunk 2077. CDPR have always used their own engine (REDengine) which worked well for the Witcher games, but became a hinderance as the scope got larger. For CDPR to identify issues, acknowledge them and move away from their own proprietary engine gives me faith that they're doing everything to make this game a success. 

I agree 100% with @villa4europe though that if this has been announced now, I hope it means a release in the next 2 years. I really don't want another repeat of Cyberpunk where the game is announced today and we don't see it until 2030, that would be abysmal even if the game is a 10/10 all-time great when it finally releases.  

• Like 1

Witcher 3 (while not as bad as CP2077) arrived in a sorry state and it took a hell of a lot of patches and versions until it was the game we know it to be now. I think this mainly goes unforgotten because of how good it is now. I dont expect W4 to be any different. This is weird to say but PR are honestly just pretty terrible at making technically proficient games at launch. 

On 22/03/2022 at 10:52, Wainy316 said:

Watch **** Microsoft go and buy up CD Projekt RED now and make it an XBox exclusive.

I think CD Projekt prefer their independence as they also run a pretty large gaming store on PC in the form of GOG.com.

Selling to Microsoft would give them complete financial security to make whatever they wanted, but it would come at a cost and that cost would likely be shutting down GOG.com. 

• 2 weeks later...

I won't pre-order as I've never done that but I will almost certainly be buying this. Probs not gonna be out til 2029 but Wild Hunt is one of my favourite all-time games and the two DLCs are my favourite ever DLCs so...

Going OT but from my experience from near 20 years ago now working at game pre ordering was a bit of nonsense

The managers put all the staff under huge pressure to get pre orders, loads of KPIs and shit around it, in reality all it did was get the store an extra copy of the game, my store would get 300 copies of the witcher 4 sent to us, you pre order it we now get 301, it's only held until mid day the day after release and then it can be sold to anyone

GTA Vice City was mental, we were making pre orders up and everything, half my family pre ordered the game not that they'd know about it, got hundreds of copies in, sold them all, Saturday afternoon the genuine pre orderes came in and we'd sold their copy, a lot of unhappy people and a twitchy manager 

Now I'm sure most pre orders will be a pre pay thing 

Â