ianrobo1

Why ?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Why ?

• To get the cash for Baros
    • He wanted to leave and would not sign an extended contract
    • DOL does not rate him
    • Man City's bid was far too good to turn down for an England international

David O'Leary this evening explained why he gave the green light for Darius Vassell to have talks with Manchester City, reflecting: "I think he's gone stale at Villa."

The England striker flew back to the UK yesterday for talks and a medical at the City of Manchester Stadium and is expected to complete a move shortly.

Vassell's likely departure will come as a surprise to some, but O'Leary believes the fresh challenge is exactly what the striker needs as he bids to force his way back into the Egland set-up.

The Villa boss reflected: "I think people saying the same things about Darius for so many years. He's got set in his ways a little bit and his car probably knows the way to the training ground on its own! I have to say he's a lovely boy and I felt he needed a new challenge.

"The bottom line is we were looking for more goals from Vass. His record speaks for itself. He's not exactly been prolific for us and that's where he'll be looking to improve at Manchester City. I'm sure he'll look to get back into the England team with this move.

"We wish him well if it happens. He's been a lovely boy to deal with here and we never had any problems with him whatsoever."

Vassell made his debut against Middlesbrough in August 1998 - five months after signing his first professional contract. Soon afterwards he scored two goals against Stromsgodset in the UEFA Cup that set him on his way.

The England striker has made 106 league starts for Villa with an extra 54 appearances from the bench, scoring 35 league goals. He has also started 17 cup matches, with 22 substitutes' appearances - scoring 10 times to complete a Villa record of 45 goals in 199 games.

Last season, a broken ankle sustained in October meant he made just 17 league and cup starts. He scored just three goals against Southampton, QPR and West Brom.

Here you go, shut the thread then.

Just a question.

Would you be so upset if he'd arrived say 2-3 seasons ago, rather than being "one of us"?

Isnt it that we would all loved to see Vassell succeed, but he has become almost the new "Tony Daley" of our generation, ie fantastic natural athlete, but never made the step up to become a world beating player.

I think we all remember Tony flying down the wings, blasting past defenders, before crossing the ball into the Holte......

I think Vassell will be remembered as much the same.

Bring in Baros.

The only thing that worries me is that DOL is playing "favourites" again, a game he has been accused of in the past. (Just to annoy JC) Crouh for example, when he arrived at Villa, seemed dreadful. I saw him play away at Southampton where he looked so inept that he looked 2 divisions above his natural level. Couldnt trap, shoot, tackle pass or head the ball. Always in the wrong position, but still managed to contrive to miss sitter after sitter, when t would have been easier to score.

Then he went away to Norwich, came back. Had 3 successive very good games, and was then out of the picture for good. Why? Yet Angel has a mare of a season, as does Cole, and they get played game after game. Ok, we flogged Allback, who tried bless him but other than a crucial goal against a Sunderland team dead and buried containing Sorenson, Mccann and er, Phillips, failed to do much. But was Crouch a sale too far? Was Crouch just not a favourite? Well, he started to look the player Taylor signed when he returned from Norwich. And most pundits who know more abouth the game than I felt £2 million was good business for Villa.

Its a game of two halves Brian, but if they cant get the best out of English internationals, is there something amiss in the coaching?

I am mixed between 2 and 3: DOL does not rate him - that much is clear and I think that Vassell wanted first team football so he could play in the World Cup and if he missed out on the World Cup because he was on the bench here all year he wouldn't be wanting to sign a new contract.

"He's set in his ways ..... I felt he needed a new challenge"

Did it ever cross your mind to give him a new challenge? Isn't that what coaches are for? To make sure players don't go stale and are always on their toes?

I have serious worries about a coaching staff who have effectively given up on not one but two England international strilkers.

Got to be option 1, but maybe not Baros.

I can not believe that DOL is allowing Vas to go without having a replcement lined up. It is just who that replace is. I think Baros is option 1, but it is not cut and dried. so we may end up with another!

I was thinking about this today and I'm wondering if it's just a case of DOL trying to complete the O'Learyification of the side..

Before he arrived, Daz Vass was a first team regular, now he's sold off. Peter Enkleman was goalkeeper, and he's been replaced. JPA was consigned to the subs bench, he's now his next door neighbour. Solano, McCann are first choice midfielders, Dion and Ronny Johnsen are gone.

Jlloyd Samuel, Mellberg, Barry and Delaney are the only members of the first team who were in situ when O'Leary was appointed. ( And I think JLloyd was really only on the fringes then..) Delaney is being denied a new contract and has almost been replaced by Hughes. So, Mellberg and Barry are the last ones from the pre-DOL era, so to speak.

Anyway, I don't know what that means. I suppose every manager wants to bring in his own players and remove those from previous regimes. Maybe thats why he's sold DV. Just doesn't fit into the manager's plan.

Its option 3.

Vass has been poor since O'Leary arrived at the club. He was living on reputation, and some decent England performances in the last two or three seasons.

Again, if he goes on to do well at Man City, then fair play to him. I wish the lad well, but he had gone stale at B6.

My big concern isnt that we have lost a striker, but that we wont sign a suitable replacement.

Where's the "your guess is as good as mine" option? It makes no sense at all in my eyes. Out of those options I'd say DOL didn't rate him I guess.

AS I said in another thread, for me Vassell is a player who represents that Villa that we have all seen and are all familiar with, that Villa where its Ok to lose every so often, where its OK to be nearly good enough but not quite. O'Leary's quotes are quite a strong indication that he sees it the same way. He is stale O'Leary says. He is complacent is the implication and I have to totally agree with the manager.

We have no chance of moving on if the culture of complacency which has been allowed to filter to the dressing room from the boardroom isnt rooted out. We need to get rid of the players in the comfort zone like Vassell and a few others and bring in players who are hungry and will not stand for second best. Players who hate losing. Players used to winning and being successful. Players with big egos and personalities.

Players like Baros.

Â