Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

2 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

The only reason I can think of to explain why we would not spend money on new players now is because we cannot find/attract players who are better than those we have. One thing we should not do is spend for spending sake.

Or because we have players coming through the ranks that we believe will fill gaps, in which case filling that gap now versus saving the cash for a future upgrade is a consideration.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I still find this a bizarre take on why we wouldn’t spend now, makes no sense.  I know you’ve try to explain it before but doesn’t fly imo.

I personally think the board are having cold feet over the manager and dont want him to spend more money until he shows something with the current squad

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

The only reason I can think of to explain why we would not spend money on new players now is because we cannot find/attract players who are better than those we have. One thing we should not do is spend for spending sake.

This...  We will only buy players who will upgrade the squad in quality and the price is right.  Every single purchase recently has followed this philosophy.  We won't just spend money because it's available...   That's how Everton are in the mess they're currently in.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Completely agree with that.  Pete and I have discussed it before and he doesn’t mean that.  It’s all good, we just have a different view on his thought process on it.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I personally think the board are having cold feet over the manager and dont want him to spend more money until he shows something with the current squad

Makes sense.

19 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I do think we have money available to spend on players if we wish but the reluctance to spending it is that it reduces our budget for future transfer windows

Will Carlos be insured so wages and amortization are covered do you think?  If so, let's go 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

As much as I don't rate Gerrard, I don't agree with this sentiment at all.  So far this summer, we've already bought 3 CL quality players, a very good international keeper as a backup, and flipped Targett for a profit for a profit and bought in a quality backup for a nominal loan fee and a low price to buy.  Our spending seems to be looking at good deals and upgrades more so than just splashing the cash.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adman said:

Will Carlos be insured so wages and amortization are covered do you think?  If so, let's go 👍

I think wages can be covered depending on the policy. I don't believe it is the norm to insure against amortisation costs but if we are willing to pay the enormous premium I am sure someone would underwrite it

Just now, Made In Aston said:

Wouldn't it be better to wait until the window closes before getting upset that the club isn't spending any more money on players?! There is still plenty of time to sign a few players so maybe just chill until then. 

What’s the point in discussing it then when the window is shut plus we would’ve already played a handful of games by then.

Just now, Made In Aston said:

Wouldn't it be better to wait until the window closes before getting upset that the club isn't spending any more money on players?! There is still plenty of time to sign a few players so maybe just chill until then. 

We have already had a pretty good window as it stands. Okay, the Carlos injury is a blow but that has just happened. Back at the start of the transfer window we were the only club signing players, this is how Man Utd did it every year when SAF was there

47 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not a chance. 

I know you’re obsessed with Carlos and this ball playing centre half we so desperately need (I’m not even sure Carlos is that player) but I’d much rather spend whatever money is left on another central midfielder instead of another centre half. 

The truth like delphinho states we need to spend the money on upgrades to the piss poor midfield because if we don't get a midfielder in to complement kamara dosnt matter what CB we have we will be totally overrun in midfield.

A defence under intense pressure will always succumb eventually when the midfield.dosnt do its job.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

What’s the point in discussing it then when the window is shut plus we would’ve already played a handful of games by then.

Its more for the people who seem outraged with the Board because they think the finances have been reigned in. Let's see what else the window brings first. 

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Its more for the people who seem outraged with the Board because they think the finances have been reigned in. Let's see what else the window brings first. 

But isn’t that like saying don’t discuss the football league position until the season is over? Or discuss the game during the game during, wait until it’s over to discuss?  Football is about discussing/complaining/happiness in the moment.

Edited by nick76

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But isn’t that like saying don’t discuss the football league position until the season is over? Or discuss the game during the game during the game, what until it’s over to discuss?  Football is about discussing/complaining/happiness in the moment.

No I'm not saying don't discuss, but to come to conclusions without any evidence seems nonsensical. 

Its the same with league position. We can talk about expectations and aspirations, but shouldn't be getting outraged about where we are until the season finishes, as a lot can change. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think wages can be covered depending on the policy. I don't believe it is the norm to insure against amortisation costs but if we are willing to pay the enormous premium I am sure someone would underwrite it

I read somewhere players wages are generally insured against injury. Even if premiums are high it’s probably still better than signing a player on a 4 year contract at 10m a year and potentially see their career ended after a few weeks. The transfer fee would still be lost.