Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

A Benteke type would be perfect for how we play now tbh. Someone who can create their own stuff and flick in crosses from the full backs.

Ollie can do some of that but he simply isn't that good a finisher compared to Benteke in two of his seasons for us.

We were lucky enough to have the two prime Benteke years. Look at him now, basically dogshit. 

I firmly believe that the prime Ollie years are ahead of him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Arsenal signing zinchenko.

We really need 1-2 more really, really high quality signings if we think we are moving far up the table.

We aren't finishing above Arsenal anytime soon.

Better to target Wolves, Leicester, Palace, Brighton, y'know all these teams who went about three months without a win and still finished above us. Getting above Newcastle again won't be easy but can be done aswell.

Maybe West Ham at a push but still feels we're short in a couple of positions to seriously go for 7th.

Just now, Steero113 said:

We were lucky enough to have the two prime Benteke years. Look at him now, basically dogshit. 

I firmly believe that the prime Ollie years are ahead of him. 

Think 20-21 was prime Ollie at prem level.

Good scoring return (even then he should've scored another 5 goals) and his all round game in terms of pressing and hold up play was top.

Massively regressed last season in those areas even if his goal return was solid in the end.

With strikers I'd honestly give Archer a proper chance, no excuse in early weeks with 5 subs and I'd love him to score v Bournemouth and Everton as he'd then become a starter.

Out of nowhere Kane got a few starts for Spurs in 2014, scuffed a few in and then hit an insane goal return and lifted them up the league so no pressure on Cam but would be amazing if he could inspire us that way.

Big ask but the way he's been finishing last 12 months in different competitions for three different teams is very very encouraging so I wouldn't be sending him out on loan again.

Think 20-21 was prime Ollie at prem level.

Good scoring return (even then he should've scored another 5 goals) and his all round game in terms of pressing and hold up play was top.

Massively regressed last season in those areas even if his goal return was solid in the end.

With strikers I'd honestly give Archer a proper chance, no excuse in early weeks with 5 subs and I'd love him to score v Bournemouth and Everton as he'd then become a starter.

Out of nowhere Kane got a few starts for Spurs in 2014, scuffed a few in and then hit an insane goal return and lifted them up the league so no pressure on Cam but would be amazing if he could inspire us that way.

Big ask but the way he's been finishing last 12 months in different competitions for three different teams is very very encouraging so I wouldn't be sending him out on loan again.

Watkins had other issues last season, he was injured at the start and think he might have rushed himself back as he thought Ings was competition then he had a baby as well plus Southgate had him playing pointless friendlies 

Think Watkins should be aiming for 15-17 goals next season 

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

A Benteke type would be perfect for how we play now tbh. Someone who can create their own stuff and flick in crosses from the full backs.

Ollie can do some of that but he simply isn't that good a finisher compared to Benteke in two of his seasons for us.

I think Benteke relied on service.....Dwight created his own stuff....just my take.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Watkins had other issues last season, he was injured at the start and think he might have rushed himself back as he thought Ings was competition then he had a baby as well plus Southgate had him playing pointless friendlies 

Think Watkins should be aiming for 15-17 goals next season 

Is he really good enough to do that especially in Gerrard's system? 20/21 he had prime Grealish laying on endless throughballs.

Ollie just hesitates and scuffs shots too often for me. With his mobility he can hit double figures but he just isn't that good a finisher.

Bold call but if Archer can get a run of starts early I actually think he can outscore both senior strikers, that would be some story.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

Is he really good enough to do that especially in Gerrard's system? 20/21 he had prime Grealish laying on endless throughballs.

Ollie just hesitates and scuffs shots too often for me. With his mobility he can hit double figures but he just isn't that good a finisher.

Bold call but if Archer can get a run of starts early I actually think he can outscore both senior strikers, that would be some story.

Coutinho, Buendia, Digne, Ings, Cash, Bailey maybe Luiz/Ramsey if pushed forward

He really should be getting a bucketload of chances this season

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think Benteke relied on service.....Dwight created his own stuff....just my take.

Benteke at his best scored goals out of little....that curler outside the box v Man. United, picking up the ball 40 yards from goal v Chelsea, making Cahill a mug and slipping it in near post v Cech. He also scored v Palace from similar run picking up ball near halfway line.

Not sure if there's a YT reel of all his goals for us but they weren't all headers from crosses and corners.

• Like 3

Just now, Demitri_C said:

He signed for united at 24 and we know what happened next

27 goals in his first season, I am sure he remembers that, 120 goals since joining United

Benteke at his best scored goals out of little....that curler outside the box v Man. United, picking up the ball 40 yards from goal v Chelsea, making Cahill a mug and slipping it in near post v Cech. He also scored v Palace from similar run picking up ball near halfway line.

Not sure if there's a YT reel of all his goals for us but they weren't all headers from crosses and corners.

I think he was marvellous for us, but my take is, he was predominately played in....Weimann did most of the running.

When he went to Liverpool, Klopp was frustrated with his lack of Movement.....hence he went.

Dwight on the other hand, made goals for himself.....with his quick feet, speed of thought and body movement.

I would have a Dwight Yorke in our team in a flash.....less the ending of his career with us.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yeah and how has that went for them?

They probably as happy as all the chelsea fans are that he has left them.

Until tammys hit 29 no point saying he is better than him. Tammy could qork out better than lukaku is when he is older as lukaku has got worse with age. Tammys getting better in my opinion 

So hang on, some people saying Tammy is better than Lukaku or have I misunderstood?

Though lots of people don't think Tammy is better than what we have.

So nobody would want Lukaku then? 

What other world class strikers do people not want?

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Indeed. He also scored the spectacular overhead kick at VP against Norwich - and later possibly bettered that with another one for Liverpool at Old Trafford. He was a monster with us.

I loved Dwight, but when we have the likes of Buendia / Coutinho zipping around and service from Digne, I think (a prime) Benteke would suit us better than Yorke would. 

If only Davis could score more, he has the physicality and the ability to keep the ball which is a frustratingly lacking at times with Ollie.

Back on topic - Still hoping for two more players before the window shuts. Definitely another real quality midfielder and I'd take another striker but I'd be less concerned if that didn't materialise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

They probably as happy as all the chelsea fans are that he has left them.

Until tammys hit 29 no point saying he is better than him. Tammy could qork out better than lukaku is when he is older as lukaku has got worse with age. Tammys getting better in my opinion 

Lukaku was one of the favourites for top scorer in Euros last year, He was considered one of the best strikers in the world only a year ago. He's had a bad season last year with Chelsea granted, but he's shite now because of that?

• Like 2