Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

Was worried with his comments regarding Ings and Watkins working together. Paraphrasing here but something along the lines of "they'll just have to sort that out between themselves" 

Isn't that his job to get them firing together? 

yes but the coach can only do so much.

i might be adding 2+2 to make 5 but i wondered if he was alluding to personal issues between the two

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

Was worried with his comments regarding Ings and Watkins working together. Paraphrasing here but something along the lines of "they'll just have to sort that out between themselves" 

Isn't that his job to get them firing together? 

Be fair - he is only on £150k PW.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

yes but the coach can only do so much.

i might be adding 2+2 to make 5 but i wondered if he was alluding to personal issues between the two

I prefer Ollie of the two.

I keep going back to the pre season friendly when Ings scored and Ollie's face was like thunder he just looked straight through him.

Needs sorting.

• Like 2

Just now, hippo said:

I prefer Ollie of the two.

I keep going back to the pre season friendly when Ings scored and Ollie's face was like thunder he just looked straight through him.

Needs sorting.

i like them both. think ollie would be a good impact sub though

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

He must be a bit frustrated, the overall ability of the squad to play the way he wants is not quite there and last night wasn't the first time we've seen us incapable of the speed of passing he wants without giving it away often quite dangerously. Coutinho and fingers crossed Digne will lift us quite significantly and I am confident we will see a marked difference in quality, enough to turn these amibtious performances into dominant performances.

Agreed.

But he has enough at his disposal to keep a few clean sheets score a few goals and beat the likes of Brentford.

Just now, Reivax_Villa said:

I feel like with the Watkins and Ings issue, we can afford to have them building chemistry this season but next season it has to work.

I’ve seen improvements personally. I think they looked decent together yesterday. But I also think we are only playing both of them because we have Bailey and Traore out. Plus Coutinho to come in. They will be competing for one position when everyone is back.

Just now, tomav84 said:

I think he needs to make up his mine who is the preferred one or who starts. Throwing both of them on and telling them to sort it out isn't happening.

I ignore any comments questioning SG at the moment, he's just through the door and trying things out to learn about our squad, who he wants to keep and who doesn't fit. Anyone who questions him before half way through next season needs to give their head a wobble.

The one aspect I do like is we are getting an identity in the way we play, which has been my biggest gripe for years. The passing and movement, the high press, you can see he has a style of play and once he has removed the deadwood and players who don't fit his system and has recruited the players he thinks do, I think we'll all see a modern Aston Villa, playing similar to how the top teams play. We lack quality at the moment in certain areas, but it's definately there to see what he is trying to do.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Viloon said:

I ignore any comments questioning SG at the moment, he's just through the door and trying things out to learn about our squad, who he wants to keep and who doesn't fit. Anyone who questions him before half way through next season needs to give their head a wobble.

The one aspect I do like is we are getting an identity in the way we play, which has been my biggest gripe for years. The passing and movement, the high press, you can see he has a style of play and once he has removed the deadwood and players who don't fit his system and has recruited the players he thinks do, I think we'll all see a modern Aston Villa, playing similar to how the top teams play. We lack quality at the moment in certain areas, but it's definately there to see what he is trying to do.

Seriously ?

I think the lack of a style of play is the biggest concern. We seem to rely on set pieces or moments of individual skill.

Clearing out the deadwood. I wouldn't agree there is that much. But assuming AEG is one - why did he come on last night?

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think he needs to make up his mine who is the preferred one or who starts. Throwing both of them on and telling them to sort it out isn't happening.

what options did he have last night though? bailey and young injured, traore & trez, at AFCON, el ghazi shit

watkins wont start out wide when we have viable alternatives IMO

24 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Our full backs are not wing backs and Ings and Watkins will not work together.

I thought Gerrard might have picked this up in the last 3 months of Smith's reign.

I assume that's why he wants Digne to replace Targett. Cash could be a wing back, but still needs a fair bit of coaching to get there. 

Ings and Watkins both playing is partly being forced by injuries, but will be resolved with the arrival of Coutinho.

Looks to me like the signings we're making are directly targeted at those weaknesses you identified.

• Like 1

Barring injuries, last night was the last time SG could only field Smith / Bruce recruits. It'll be this time next year before we can really start making assessments. And we have miles to go. Some of these players may just not be up for what the new regime demands, physically or mentally.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

That’s a good call. If you’re a defender the last thing you want to see coming on when you’re knackered is Duracell powered Ollie Watkins. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

I assume that's why he wants Digne to replace Targett. Cash could be a wing back, but still needs a fair bit of coaching to get there. 

Ings and Watkins both playing is partly being forced by injuries, but will be resolved with the arrival of Coutinho.

Looks to me like the signings we're making are directly targeted at those weaknesses you identified.

Exactly, the system he has broadly works but he needs better personal. We are dominating the ball better and look a lot more of a team and a unit playing some great football in places.

Next season will be the onne for us now with rest of this season and pre season building up to it

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

what options did he have last night though? bailey and young injured, traore & trez, at AFCON, el ghazi shit

watkins wont start out wide when we have viable alternatives IMO

Bidace , Sanson, Chuk ? 

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I've no doubt Gerrard picked this up within 10 minutes of watching us. Not much could be done until now, and the wheels are in motion. Summer will be the main event.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrassyNoel said:

Barring injuries, last night was the last time SG could only field Smith / Bruce recruits. It'll be this time next year before we can really start making assessments. And we have miles to go. Some of these players may just not be up for what the new regime demands, physically or mentally.

I think we’ll see a great bloodletting between now and August. I think we are still seeing a softness in the team. He alluded to closing that small gap between playing well and losing and actually winning. A lot of it is in the mind and changing the mind set is a big job. Those players that can’t do that will be replaced. 

I like Dean but it can’t be denied that things like fitting in training around players late night social media and gaming needs were ridiculous. The lunatics definitely we’re running the asylum. He was too nice, no doubt. I’m pretty sure that’s not likely to be a criticism that can be levelled at SG. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

assume that's why he wants Digne to replace Targett. Cash could be a wing back, but still needs a fair bit of coaching to get there

I think Matty Cash has regressed defensively this season. Going forwards he’s good but he needs to improve. The return of Kesler may be more significant than we think. If he stays here and doesn’t go back out on loan, he’ll at least keep Cash on his toes. 

27 minutes ago, GrassyNoel said:

Whole year down the pan then.

This isn't a bad squad of players by any stretch. We have 2 England CFs - and England CB and the best goalkeeper I have seen in 50 years of watching the club.

I don't think Europe is on the cards anytime soon.but a few clean sheets and goals shouldn't be beyond the current crop of players.

Â