Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

6 hours ago, TRO said:

If you think Glasgow Rangers is some tin pot, back strret club.....you are delusional

Because there is literally no space between being one of the biggest clubs in Europe (which Rangers are literally miles and miles away from being) and a tin pot back street club? 

You're just being plain daft there. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, MrBlack said:

This is quite crazy when you think about it. Making a whole team of people just up sticks and move over half way across the country because their "boss" has moved.  Bet there was some sweeteners in the deal for them all. Great to see them all coming!

It's not unusual at all.  Happens frequently in all sorts of professions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stockport_Villain said:

After listening and reading many responses to this appointment and trying to get my head around it I’m still perplexed by this.

It makes no sense to me when I look at the potential options we could have gone for. The only rationale thing I can think of is the Puslow link from Liverpool. I can not find any other rational explanation for it. For a club aiming for Europe with the financial backing we have Gerrard is completely unproven and is a big gamble. I’m holding my breath but am very nervous.

Every single manager that we could feasibly have brought to the club would be a gamble.  Every single one.  Nothing is guaranteed.

He's high profile, a huge name in the footballing world and has a talented team of staff.  The only thing you can say he's unproven at is as a manager in the PL but I don't think that's particularly key.  I'm perplexed that people are so perplexed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

It will be hard not to be, we are only 2 points of the bottom 3 and have a very tough next 10 games

yes but that will be a problem. People are expecting a. a new manager bounce and b. to rapidly improve

If we finish 14th after changing manager I can see a lot of anger from fans

It is quite amusing the comments on VT. Before Deano was sacked there was a cohort questioning his ability to get us our of the situation we have got into. For a number of games the confidence was very high that we will win the next game, then the next game and then the next game. Unfortunately, this never happed and Deano was sacked. The comments defending Deano on his losing streak were very strong and people who questioned him got a lot of grief and were accused of not being Villa fans and shyte like that. Everyone on here is a villa fan! With our new gaffer in place the perspective has completely changed. No longer should time be given to the gaffer, he now must deliver. We all want him to succeed and will give him full support but now as opposed to giving him time and having faith in him, it is now there is no rationale in his appointment and he is the 'trophy wife' manager. Purslow played a blinder employing Deano 3 years ago and now he is bordering on incompetent and letting nepotism influence his decision making. Our wonderful owners, who haven't put a foot wrong are even been called into question. 

We need to move forward. Deano was brilliant but he is no longer our Gaffer. Steven Gerrard is our gaffer. He has brought a new set backroom team with him and we need to get behind him. Constantly having a pop at him and finding reasons to say we support him while having a dig at him is not very helpful. He may fail and if he does he will be sacked. But he may succeed. We don't know which. But we (should) all want him to succeed and looking for fault before he even starts the job is not a positive thing to do

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

yes but that will be a problem. People are expecting a. a new manager bounce and b. to rapidly improve

If we finish 14th after changing manager I can see a lot of anger from fans

With a new manger and given where we are, I don't think the final finishing position matters too much tbh, as long as we are not relegated. I think this season he will be judged on our performances on the pitch. I think the average Villa supporter is a lot smarted than simply looking at points and will look at the progression of the team 

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yep, it's been bad for a long while now and literally ANY other manager would not have had such an easy ride from the fan base (myself included) 

It's telling that many many people still disagree with his dismissal after 5 defeats on the bounce, including a very very alarming collapse against Wolves.   It's difficult to see any other manager and/or any other fanbase would allow that. 

Steve will definitely not get that level of unwavering support, not from us anyway. 

We'll very soon see if he's better than Smith as he's got a decent chunk of the season before he can bring any of his own players in. Let's see if he can get a tune out of Dean's troops that Dean couldn't because we've not just lost 5 on the bounce, we've looked absolutely clueless, worse than awful performances and turning that ship around is no mean feat in itself. 

Don't think he will be letting players stroll in at lunchtime because they've been on their PS5's until the wee hours.

46 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

Every single manager that we could feasibly have brought to the club would be a gamble.  Every single one.  Nothing is guaranteed.

He's high profile, a huge name in the footballing world and has a talented team of staff.  The only thing you can say he's unproven at is as a manager in the PL but I don't think that's particularly key.  I'm perplexed that people are so perplexed.

Lampard has more experience.....

23 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

It is quite amusing the comments on VT. Before Deano was sacked there was a cohort questioning his ability to get us our of the situation we have got into. For a number of games the confidence was very high that we will win the next game, then the next game and then the next game. Unfortunately, this never happed and Deano was sacked. The comments defending Deano on his losing streak were very strong and people who questioned him got a lot of grief and were accused of not being Villa fans and shyte like that. Everyone on here is a villa fan! With our new gaffer in place the perspective has completely changed. No longer should time be given to the gaffer, he now must deliver. We all want him to succeed and will give him full support but now as opposed to giving him time and having faith in him, it is now there is no rationale in his appointment and he is the 'trophy wife' manager. Purslow played a blinder employing Deano 3 years ago and now he is bordering on incompetent and letting nepotism influence his decision making. Our wonderful owners, who haven't put a foot wrong are even been called into question. 

We need to move forward. Deano was brilliant but he is no longer our Gaffer. Steven Gerrard is our gaffer. He has brought a new set backroom team with him and we need to get behind him. Constantly having a pop at him and finding reasons to say we support him while having a dig at him is not very helpful. He may fail and if he does he will be sacked. But he may succeed. We don't know which. But we (should) all want him to succeed and looking for fault before he even starts the job is not a positive thing to do

This is the Gerrard thread right? Just that it sounds similar to someone else. 

It's very likely that our success or failure won't be down to Gerrard... It's the whole team that will be responsible for our success or failure. There's many that believe that Peter Taylor was directly responsible for Clough's success. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

I hope he wins every game but the implications of him not winning his first 2 are catastrophic, to put ourselves in this position in reckless, if we then lose to a Dean Smith led Norwich then his position is at risk. 90% of the fans I know will turn against him and Purslow at this point 

The fact he doesn't see this ( or doesn't care ) is arrogance beyond belief.

There is an ever so slight chance that Purslow sees things differently to you. But hey, with experience at Liverpool, and Chelsea and the last 3 years at Villa plus the rest of his career I am sure he his fairly clueless. Appointing Gerrard as our gaffer is no doubt a decision with no thought behind it

• Like 3

Â