Wimbledon 2021

Phil Silvers

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

Agree, her weighting and variety of her shots is very impressive.

Yes shes a smart player and has a great allround game. I hope Osaka recovers from her mental health problems because I think she is the outsanding player of this generation. 

8 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Very enjoyable final.

I expect Djokovic will walk it tomorrow 

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes shes a smart player and has a great allround game. I hope Osaka recovers from her mental health problems because I think she is the outsanding player of this generation. 

I think the men's can be quite boring and the lack of power makes for some game variety that is more entertaining. 

Osaka is good, Ash to and Sabalenka will be quality as she matures.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

I think the men's can be quite boring and the lack of power makes for some game variety that is more entertaining. 

Osaka is good, Ash to and Sabalenka will be quality as she matures.

I would slightly disagree as in this era of Federer, Djokovic, Nadal and even Murray theres have been some wonderful 5 sets matches. The Wimbledon 2019 final was one of the best ever. I got bored watching Serena dominate but the womens game is so open anybody can beat anybody now. 

Just now, PaulC said:

I would slightly disagree as in this era of Federer, Djokovic, Nadal and even Murray theres have been some wonderful 5 sets matches. The Wimbledon 2019 final was one of the best ever. I got bored watching Serena dominate but the womens game is so open anybody can beat anybody now. 

I mean't this year. I've only been interested if the final has been 2 of the big3 especially RF, brilliant player. 

Never liked Serena as a person so never enjoyed watching her, loved how Halep played her in 2019, hope Halep gets back on it, she's great.

Back to men, I've really enjoyed Shapovalov this Wimbledon, will be hoping he improves and can give ND a run when the other big3 finally fade for good.

5 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I mean't this year. I've only been interested if the final has been 2 of the big3 especially RF, brilliant player. 

Never liked Serena as a person so never enjoyed watching her, loved how Halep played her in 2019, hope Halep gets back on it, she's great.

Back to men, I've really enjoyed Shapovalov this Wimbledon, will be hoping he improves and can give ND a run when the other big3 finally fade for good.

Yes like Halep, was hoping Ostapenko would have do something this year after winning Eastboune. Like Kerber's style of play as well. The mens is going to be all change very soon. Federer and Murray are never going to be able to compete with these young guys. Nadal I dont believe will win another slam outside of RG and Djokovic is on a mission to win the most slams. If he does win the golden slam this year! Whats left to motivate him. 

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes like Halep, was hoping Ostapenko would have do something this year after winning Eastboune. Like Kerber's style of play as well. The mens is going to be all change very soon. Federer and Murray are never going to be able to compete with these young guys. Nadal I dont believe will win another slam outside of RG and Djokovic is on a mission to win the most slams. If he does win the golden slam this year! Whats left to motivate him. 

I like Kerber too. I like Giorgi, she is not at this level but when she is on it she really is strong and I'd love see her do well.

Jabuer has got some talent too. Raducanu is an entertainer, hope she does well.

Bodes well.

Good opportunity for Barty to dominate women's tennis now as it has been very open since Serena Williams has dipped.

To be 5 ft 5 and serve the most aces on the women's tour is impressive. A great sports brain. 

Unless Novak breaks a leg I can't see him losing tomorrow. Would be surprised if he drops a set. If he can stay fit he could end up with 25+ majors at this rate as he has outlasted his contemporaries and the youth vangard still can't beat him when it really matters.  So determined to finish ahead of Fed and Nadal.

Its another debate to say who is the best of all time as previous generations often barely bothered with the Australian Open and you had the whole amateur/professional thing before the open era. Borg and McEnore only played 6 times combined for the aussy open and Rod Lever had the best part of a decade in which he couldn't play the slams for example.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Good opportunity for Barty to dominate women's tennis now as it has been very open since Serena Williams has dipped.

To be 5 ft 5 and serve the most aces on the women's tour is impressive. A great sports brain. 

Unless Novak breaks a leg I can't see him losing tomorrow. Would be surprised if he drops a set. If he can stay fit he could end up with 25+ majors at this rate as he has outlasted his contemporaries and the youth vangard still can't beat him when it really matters.  So determined to finish ahead of Fed and Nadal.

Its another debate to say who is the best of all time as previous generations often barely bothered with the Australian Open and you had the whole amateur/professional thing before the open era. Borg and McEnore only played 6 times combined for the aussy open and Rod Lever had the best part of a decade in which he couldn't play the slams for example.

Yes the GOAT debate is the difficult one and although for some reason Djokovic isnt the most popular of players he has proved himself to be the best player in this era of tennis.  He will end up with the most weeks at no.1, the most atp 100 wins, the most slams and a winning h2h against the leading opponents. He might loose tomorrow of course.  Borg won 11 slams and retired at the age of 26 but never won the US Open. So Laver or Djokovic for me

At the moment without Federer, Nadal and Murray no longer at the peak of their powers,Djokovic has a clear run at all the opens as there’s no one with the consistency to properly challenge him.

I can see Novak completing the Golden Slam this year.

However once he’s done with the game it should be a great scramble to become the best player with some good young players coming through now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

At the moment without Federer, Nadal and Murray no longer at the peak of their powers,Djokovic has a clear run at all the opens as there’s no one with the consistency to properly challenge him.

I can see Novak completing the Golden Slam this year.

However once he’s done with the game it should be a great scramble to become the best player with some good young players coming through now. 

I can't see any of them having the drive and determination to get anywhere near the figures of the big 3. They have all motivated each other well into their thirties. The numbers they have put on the board are insane. They have already seen off about two further generations of tennis players who failed miserably to match these guys even as they aged.  Del Porto could have but boy was he unlucky with the injuries. Thiem did win the US last year but seemingly the  huge effort of just winning one slam has really effected him this year.

I think tennis may have trouble with future audiences who might not necessarily want to see  a 4-5 hour best of five matches. The grand slams could be downgraded to best of 3 which would result in more upsets.

• Like 2

Â