Children's Television

sidcow

As suggested by @mjmooney to stop us going off topic in another thread, here is a kids TV thread for you to revel in nostalgia

What was the big show of your generation, what were your favourites, did you watch repeats of pervious generations shows? Are you of the generation where you only had set time slots on a couple of channels for your kids TV fix or are you young enough to have enjoyed wall to wall multiple channel kids TV? 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

My kids were into Teletubbies, Brum (in all fairness probably both repeats), Balamory, The Tweenies, Pepa Pig, Dora the Explorer, Ben 10 and just about In The Night Garden but only just. 

I am aware there has been a massive kids TV series in recent years as I've heard someone talking about it, but have no idea what it's called.  As you say that's probably it for me now until I get grandkids. 

I am also aware of older shows like Bill and Ben and Muffin the Mule but I never saw them. 

I did see a lot of repeats as a kid of some shows though like Joe 90, Champion The Wonder Horse, Fireball XL5, the old Flash Gordon's, Stingray etc that were originally watched by an older generation than me. 

Post War budgets were still probably very low in the 70s so there wouldn't be much money for new kids TV I suppose, lots of cheap animation around though like Mr Ben, Jamie and the Magic Torch and things like Bagpus with very little movements and big chunks of repeated scenes.  I guess Rainbow was pretty cheap to make too, just a few humans and puppeteers in one small studio. 

In the 80s you suddenly got many more brand new kids shows, still with cheap animation but just lots more of them. 

Apologies for going wildly off topic. 

This was my starter, for some reason I couldn't quote it into the first post. 

Edited by sidcow

Spun off from the Deadpool. 

Any favourites, as a kid or as a parent/grandparent? Which eras did you completely miss out on? 

For me it was all about the 1960s, virtually nothing in the 70s and 80s, then a new wave in the 90s (most of which I've now forgotten), nothing in the 2000s, and these days Peppa Pig, Woolly and Tig, Hey Duggee, etc. 

Edited by mjmooney

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Spun off from the Deadpool. 

Any favourites, as a kid or as a parent/grandparent? Which eras did you completely miss out on? 

For me it was all about the 1960s, virtually nothing in the 70s and 80s, then a new wave in the 90s (most of which I've now forgotten), and these days Peppa Pig, Woolly and Tig, Hey Duggee, etc. 

Hahaha.  Wait for the Mods to merge. 

Something I will throw into the ring. 

A lot of people my age will remember Pipkins.  However I am yet to speak to anyone else who remembers that early episodes were different to later ones.  There were more humans (I think) but definitely more/different puppets.  Maybe they had some cost cuttings after the first series and had to scale it back or summat. 

For some reason I had fun house flash backs last week, that was the one I wanted to go on

There was a show before it set in a burger restaurant that I watched despite it being pretty rubbish

I won't have a bad word said against pokemom on Itv before school, the Mario cartoon was OK hop but pokemom was awesome (I was about 13...)

Then nickelodeon happened I got older and it all becomes a blur 

57 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Something I will throw into the ring. 

A lot of people my age will remember Pipkins.  However I am yet to speak to anyone else who remembers that early episodes were different to later ones.  There were more humans (I think) but definitely more/different puppets.  Maybe they had some cost cuttings after the first series and had to scale it back or summat. 

Was pig still a Brummie

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mottaloo said:

More of a Sally James man meself 😍

And me but SJH was a good reason for me to watch CBeebies maybe when I should not have 😉

”come on boys Mr Tumble is on” 😉😉

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

And me but SJH was a good reason for me to watch CBeebies maybe when I should not have 😉

”come on boys Mr Tumble is on” 😉😉

Her trafalgar square vegan protest pics are certainly make for good viewing 😉

• Haha 1

Â