Children's Television

sidcow

19 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

My daughter is absolutely transfixed when Peppa Pig comes on, whereas she pretty much ignores other TV.

It's actually pretty good too, I find it quite funny. Whereas most other children's TV feels like it was designed with the aid of copious amounts of LSD.

Same with our grandchildren. I like both Peppa Pig and Hey Duggee, as they have plenty of humour that will appeal to adults. 

First time I saw In the Night Garden I thought somebody had spiked my drink with LSD. 

I guess in the current era of streaming there's a lot more potential for selecting what you like and avoiding the dross. I particularly like the animations of the Julia Donaldson/Axel Scheffler books - The Gruffalo, The Gruffalo's Child, Zog, Zog and the Flying Doctors, Stick Man, The Snail and the Whale, The Highway Rat. I'm hoping they'll do Tabby McTat next. 

59 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

A mate of a mate once bought an original Rolf oil painting as an investment. Cost £30k and got presented it by the "man" himself - he said Harris was very deaf, but sociable enough. 

18 months later....and it all hits the fan. The painting is worth fck all apart from any notoriety value.

Haha, yes I worked with a colleague once who had invested in quite a bit of Rolf Art apparently worth a few thousand quid all told too. The piss taking that happened once the scandal hit... poor sod :D

• Like 1

On topic, early days it was C4 cartoons at 6am for Tintin and Sharkey and George ( Crime Busters of the Sea! Do do de do Sharkey and George, they'll solve any mystery 😎 ) Or Turtles on CBBC.

I remember gordon the gopher and the playbus probably is as young as I can recall, then a bit older it was stuff like The Demon Headmaster, Woof! And the Queens Nose which are most vivid. I think those are the titles. A bit later still and you're into Clarissa the teenage witch and other American YA shows.

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The Flumps anyone? 

I remember watching the very first episode of Grange Hill. 

Pootle

Often hum the theme tune oddly enough 

42 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

WHHAAATTT??? 

Well it wasn't long after RH had painted the queen and was hot property. He is/was an accomplished painter and not just in the "can you tell what it is yet ?" category.

The lad who invested is a pretty shrewd operator with property and other ventures. It's just that no one with his level of knowledge could've seen that scandal coming.

Born in 1975 it was 80s TV in the main for me. Some stand out were:

Knightmare, Jossy’s Giants, Byker Grove, Grange Hill, The Box of Delights, The Machine Gunners, Dungeons & Dragons, Battle of the Plants, The Mysterious Cities of Gold, He-Man, Dogtanian, Terrahawks, Transformers.

Saturday afternoon delight was ‘Robin of Sherwood’.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Born in 1975 it was 80s TV in the main for me. Some stand out were:

Knightmare, Jossy’s Giants, Byker Grove, Grange Hill, The Box of Delights, The Machine Gunners, Dungeons & Dragons, Battle of the Plants, The Mysterious Cities of Gold, He-Man, Dogtanian, Terrahawks, Transformers.

Saturday afternoon delight was ‘Robin of Sherwood’.

I remember getting slated by some mates who knocked on my door to see if I wanted to go to the park and play football. I said I would be along later as I wanted to watch Terrahawks first 😳

47 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Gummi Bears

Thundercats 

Count Duckula

Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles

Hurricanes 

Round the Twist

Round the Bend 

I'm guessing you're early 30s? These are the ones I remember my kids watching. 

There were those kids shows you were actually a little too old to watch but were on when you got home from school so you watched them anyway. For me at times in my life Jossies Giants, SuperTed, Bananaman and The Trapdoor fell into that category. 

Edited by sidcow

Other shows my generation watched as repeats were things like Trumpton, Camberwick Green and Chigley. 

Loads of cheap cartoons, Roobarb and Custard, Ludwig, Chorlton and The Wheelies, Skylark. 

There were also loads of cheap American cartoon imports on top of the traditional ones, like Captain Caveman, The New Shmoo and Space Sentinels. 

Then Battle of The Planets was a weird American Japanese mash up. 

Never liked Blue Peter or Magpie.  Used to watch Why Don't You. 

Obviously however my generation was blessed by Tiswas, surely the greatest kids TV ever created? My dad repeatedly promised to get me on there as it was filmed in Brum, never did though. 

I used to go to Bonkers nightclub in the late 80's which was next door to the Central TV studios and they had got hold of loads of the old props.  Young women were rounded up and put into the cage and The Phantom Flan Flinger would come on and chuck foam pies at them. It was called Bonkers for good reason.  

Tiswas was not just utterly insane Kids TV though, it was completely revolutionary and it's template is still used to this day through The Saturday Show, Saturday Superstore, Going Live, SMTV and whatever followed really.  All started with Tiswas. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Zelda and her photon crunchies for breakfast 

Also Star Fleet 

Ah yes, it was Star Fleet,  not Terrahawks I meant.  Got them confused which makes more sense because when Terrahawks was on I would have more likely been going to the park to try and meet girls, not play football, and no poxy TV series would have got in the way of that! 

As for current children's shows, Hey Duggee is far and away the best show. I'd go as far as to say it's one of the best shows on TV full stop (it is also utterly hilarious at times)

Hey Duggee: how a cult CBeebies show became the surprise TV smash of lockdown

It wrestles with some of life’s biggest philosophical questions, from the nature of existence to the meaning of art. It is littered with pop-cultural references: Apocalypse Now, Donkey Kong and the Cure to name just three. And it touches on diversity and disability with a lightness of touch rarely seen on TV. On YouTube, its clips have racked up more than 2.8bn minutes of viewing time.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/aug/05/hey-duggee-how-a-cult-cbeebies-show-became-the-most-surprising-tv-smash-hit-of-lockdown

25 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Tiswas was not just utterly insane Kids TV though, it was completely revolutionary and it's template is still used to this day through The Saturday Show, Saturday Superstore, Going Live, SMTV and whatever followed really.  All started with Tiswas. 

You might not realise this but you are correct in that it started it but ITV didn't realise what they had, the BBC did. Swap Shop started as a result of TISWAS but when Swap Shop started TISWAS was still an ATV only programme.

Â