Children's Television

sidcow

41 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Went to see a play in the early 80s at Leeds Playhouse. Front row seats. It was called "Night and Day" by Tom Stoppard. Starred Gabrielle Drake. She got her kit off. Very nice indeed. 

Where's @Xela with his "twitching" daffy duck gif and ".....go on....!" comment you need it !?

• Like 1

Just FYI, BBC Four are doing an evening of old kids shows tonight for whatever reason. Think it’s been on before, but anyway. Includes a look at Oliver Postgate’s work among other things.

• Like 2

On 29/05/2021 at 10:34, sidcow said:

Something I will throw into the ring. 

A lot of people my age will remember Pipkins.  However I am yet to speak to anyone else who remembers that early episodes were different to later ones.  There were more humans (I think) but definitely more/different puppets.  Maybe they had some cost cuttings after the first series and had to scale it back or summat. 

Pipkins was I think called Inigo Pipkin. Played by George Woodbridge.

When he died they shortened it to Pipkins and changed the format a bit.

• Thanks 1

I loved The Herbs when I was a kid.

So much so that my stepdaughter bought me it on DVD. Like two years ago.

Another fave of mine was Pardon My Genie.

Tomfoolery and The Pied Piper also stay in the memory.

Most of the ones I remember have been mentioned. My favourites were

Masters of the Universe

Thundercats

TMHT

Real Ghostbusters

MASK

Around the World with Willy Fogg 

Round the Twist 

Count Dukula

Trap Door

Scooby Doo

Muppet Babies (Saturday mornings)

Raccoons 

Plus for the older kids, Grange Hill and Byker Grove

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Star Fleet hasn't been mentioned yet?? Come on gents it's what Saturday mornings were made for!!

Miracle On 34Th Street Christmas Movies GIF by filmeditor

• Haha 1

Loved Star Fleet as a kid, picked up the DVD boxset a few years back. That, Trapdoor, and SuperTed were amazing! Tried to watch it over Lockdown with my 9 year old boy, who promptly laughed at it and went back to Minecraft videos on YouTube. It's a generational thing. Something I never realised until I watched it recently though, Lee was voiced by Mark Rolston, Bogs from Shawshank.

Show has obviously dated pretty poorly, but the "cameo" of the two guys from the Money For Nothing vid in an episode of ReBoot (created by the very same animators) will never not make me smile.

File also under "stuff ReBoot parodied that I had no clue about the time"; a spot-on Evil Dead parody called Malicious Corpses.

Maliciouscorpses_ash.jpg

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Has anyone mention the two great druggy kids tv shows from my era

Dr Snuggles has entered the chat

screen-shot-2017-06-20-at-8-14-37-pm.png

tenor.gif

20 minutes ago, bickster said:

Has anyone mention the two great druggy kids tv shows from my era

The Magic Roundabout and The Herbs

Zeberdee and Sir Basil 🤣

Mr Benn from around then as well

Also the Charlie says public advice adverts 

Kids TV in Australia in the early 90s was pretty wild. One of the morning shows that introduced the cartoons was hosted by a puppet called ‘Agro’ with a young woman as a sidekick.

The puppeteer would do his best to take the piss out of the young girls hosting with him. A number of them bailed out of the show after a short stint. 

As kids we all thought it was hilarious. I expect there would be lawsuits today 😬

7 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Kids TV in Australia in the early 90s was pretty wild. One of the morning shows that introduced the cartoons was hosted by a puppet called ‘Agro’ with a young woman as a sidekick.

The puppeteer would do his best to take the piss out of the young girls hosting with him. A number of them bailed out of the show after a short stint. 

As kids we all thought it was hilarious. I expect there would be lawsuits today 😬

My lads used to watch the wiggles, I think that’s quite popular in Australia or was. If I recall officer peoples was quite tasty. We still do the oh really O’Reilly gag they kept using

Edited by Follyfoot

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

My lads used to watch the wiggles, I think that’s quite popular in Australia or was. If I recall officer peoples was quite tasty. We still do the oh really O’Reilly gag they kept using

My daughter and her 15 month old  absolutely love The Wiggles, and recommended it to us. Ghastly, never again. 

My first gig was the Animal Kwackers at Oakengates Theatre in the very early 70s. I loved their tv programme. 
I also loved a show called Ski Boy but I may have made that up as a child. 
Growing up I was a Magpie viewer over Blue Peter purely because they seemed more down with the kids. Same with Tiswas over MCSS. 
I loved those sunday Tea Time family dramas, Five Children and It, Phoenix and the Carpet, Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. 

Â