Everton 53 28
Brentford 53 10
Newcastle 52 58
Leeds 52 53
Burnley 52 47
Southampton 52 42
Aston Villa 52 23

Does football need a 60-minute 'stop-clock'? - BBC Sport

Can't see spurs being there , in the game against us they wasted 10 minutes of the last 20 pissing about with throw ins and injuries , it was fantastic from them to kill the game but second in the table , who was on the stopwatch , Levy? 

23 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

tbf it was the more successful set up last season under Gerrard

Possibly, but that just shows the imbalance of our squad, no top team....or very few, play with two strikers these days.

It's limiting for possession and Contool of the ball, I hoped we might move away from two strikers this season.

Will wait and see ofc.

1 hour ago, tomsky_11 said:

tbf it was the more successful set up last season under Gerrard

Still one that led to naff performances on the whole.

Not playing our best player is a bold strategy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Maybe the whispers about prioritising a new striker over midfielder is due to the fact we plan to play with two upfront, for the most part.

It would make sense yep.

The problem with this formation is he send the midfielders back to full back as the full backs trot off up front.

It's such a bad formation the way he seems to implement it.

May as well play Augustinsson there, that player will be sat at left back for most of the game.

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It would make sense yep.

The problem with this formation is he send the midfielders back to full back as the full backs trot off up front.

It's such a bad formation the way he seems to implement it.

May as well play Augustinsson there, that player will be sat at left back for most of the game.

I remember reading on this forum, maybe even this thread.  Someone had suggested playing full-backs as the two #8s, as they would be more comfortable covering the full back space.  We could play Augustinsson and Young.

GIF movie johnny depp madness - animated GIF on GIFER - by Thokus

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I remember reading on this forum, maybe even this thread.  Someone had suggested playing full-backs as the two #8s, as they would be more comfortable covering the full back space.  We could play Augustinsson and Young.

The 8s play in the 8 role and move to LB and RB, to in theory give better ball retention and control in the first phase build up, while the actual left and right backs go forward to offer wide support.

The idea is reasonable, but unfortunately we are trying to play like Liverpool with players that can't kick the ball in a straight line half the time, which negates using the 8s in the composed and controlled first phase build up.

We need kamara/timmy type players if we want to play like that, not mcginn type players.

16 minutes ago, duke313 said:

The fact that is a feasible option is an indication the formation doesn't working.

I was interested to see how Beale has set up so far at QPR and it's similar to how he and Gerrard initially set up here. From the QPR website:

QPR lined up in a 4-3-2-1 formation but Beale stressed that is likely to be adapted over the course of the coming campaign.

“The formation will be very, very flexible,” he explained. “It will be a four (at the back) sometimes, three at others. It will be about getting the best players for each game on the pitch and playing in the right areas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Still one that led to naff performances on the whole.

Not playing our best player is a bold strategy.

Made this clear elsewhere but disagree. 1.55ppg with 2 strikers on, would be 59 points over a season.

24 minutes ago, StuL said:

I was interested to see how Beale has set up so far at QPR and it's similar to how he and Gerrard initially set up here. From the QPR website:

QPR lined up in a 4-3-2-1 formation but Beale stressed that is likely to be adapted over the course of the coming campaign.

“The formation will be very, very flexible,” he explained. “It will be a four (at the back) sometimes, three at others. It will be about getting the best players for each game on the pitch and playing in the right areas.

Flexibility is good, but I don't think Gerrard has tried a three at the back at any point.

A 3421 would give him exactly what he wants.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Possibly, but that just shows the imbalance of our squad, no top team....or very few, play with two strikers these days.

It's limiting for possession and Contool of the ball, I hoped we might move away from two strikers this season.

Will wait and see ofc.

Don't think it neccessarily does or that just because other teams don't we shouldn't. If it gets results I'm fine with it. And ultimately either way, whether we have 2 or 1 striker we still end up with a 5 man offensive line, the only difference being two strikers and a '10' drifting around/between/behind them, rather that two '10's/inside forwards either side of a lone striker. Given our tendancy to look to create from wide with balls into the box I think the two strikers makes more sense. The goal against Brisbane seemed like a good example of this.

On the possession/control thing, the midfield 3 are a much bigger deal than two strikers, especially the '6' that Kamara is likely to occupy, both when in possession and by way of winning possession back quicker.

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Flexibility is good, but I don't think Gerrard has tried a three at the back at any point.

A 3421 would give him exactly what he wants.

We'll practically have a back 3 at times this season I expect, with Kamara dropping inbetween the centre backs. The nominal formation is perhaps less meaningful than the variations we'll transition through in and out of possession.

• Like 1

Â