Mark Bosnich

Johnnyp

59 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

United was a very serious dressing room at the time. Plus, he had the unenviable task of replacing Schmichael. I mean, it was like a death in the family for United fans when he left. Bosnich was going to be held to the exact same standards as Schmichael with everything he did. Which was extremely high. He was a senior figure too at the club. Bosnich was fantastic for us.

I think it was more to do with how he conducted himself away from football. Putting him and Yorke together again was a rare mistake from Fergie.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2021 at 08:22, Rugeley Villa said:

Does anyone remember his debut for us? I can’t recall it. 

Luton away I think. Remember that day as I had my car stolen while we were at the game  and had to hitch back home.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

The Bosnich save i remember was probably not even intentional but looked spectacular. Was a cup game va Coventry and they took a shot from about 30 yards but took a deflection while Bosnich was diving to the top corner and somehow he knocked it away with his feet

Yep I was sat right behind that as a young kid. I remember banging on about it for weeks to everyone at home and school. 

53 minutes ago, JB said:

Yep I was sat right behind that as a young kid. I remember banging on about it for weeks to everyone at home and school. 

I found the clip, its not how I fully remember it as was a bit closer than I expected but I remembered the player

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AndyClarke said:

Whilst a decent stop, that was nowhere near his best save. He pulled off so many stunning saves it was mind blowing.

Agreed, such as the one against Man U at Wembley from Mark Hughes at 2-1 when we were under real pressure.

34 minutes ago, AndyClarke said:

Whilst a decent stop, that was nowhere near his best save. He pulled off so many stunning saves it was mind blowing.

Of course, I mentioned earlier it was that I always remembered as it was so unorthodox

On 14/01/2021 at 08:36, Rugeley Villa said:

I watched the highlights over Xmas of that game against Sunderland in the cup. He was brilliant wasn’t he. What a really exciting villa team that was, and that away strip was beautiful. Tranmere in the semis , talk about a rollercoaster.

We’ve mostly all seen it, I know I used to watch it a fair bit as a kid, reliving the cup run from that year. But sod it, here’s the extended highlights of the Sunderland game.

For the few who haven’t seen it, points of Bozzie interest include -

Spectacular save going in top left at 7:50

Spectacular save going in top right at 10:00 (Gray looking perplexed for about half a minute afterwards)

Bosnich prevents Goodman when through on goal at 13:45

Bosnich’s save from Gray when put through on goal at (Gray still looking nonplussed) 15:00

Bosnich save at (possibly not going in, but he makes sure of it in typically spectacular fashion) 21:30

A final one handed save in injury time at the end of the game 30:05

Other points of interest in the match -

The first Villa goal at 11:55, an absolute beauty of a pass by Richardson and an equally lovely outside of the boot finish by Atkinson.

The second Villa goal at 16:10, Christ how quick was Daley? Great ball in, nice finish by Richardson. Then both him and Atkinson laugh as Guy Whittingham falls over.

The best save of the match? At 24:05 the Sunderland keeper Chamerlain gives Bosnich a run for his money by saving a header from Townsend while going the other way.

The third Villa goal at 27:30, Houghton scores with his first touch. Note the weird, lone scream that is clearly audible when the ball goes in and Houghton being slightly man handled by Atkinson during the celebration.

The fourth Villa goal at 29:25, Dalian Atkinson’s second deflects over the stranded keeper, a Sunderland player loses his boot and there’s a glorious “clanging” sound as the ball hits the net, almost acting as dismal klaxon to round off Sunderland’s night.

Additional - post match interview taking points and general thoughts  -

I’m sure it was perfectly dreadful, but Roker Park looked like it was made for midweek night league cup matches.

Mark Bosnich’s cheekbones.

Ron Atkinson’s nice quip about there only being one team in it and they lost. He kinda loses points by then inexplicably comparing Bosnich to General Custer, but you can’t have everything.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

We’ve mostly all seen it, I know I used to watch it a fair bit as a kid, reliving the cup run from that year. But sod it, here’s the extended highlights of the Sunderland game.

For the few who haven’t seen it, points of Bozzie interest include -

Spectacular save going in top left at 7:50

Spectacular save going in top right at 10:00 (Gray looking perplexed for about half a minute afterwards)

Bosnich prevents Goodman when through on goal at 13:45

Bosnich’s save from Gray when put through on goal at (Gray still looking nonplussed) 15:00

Bosnich save at (possibly not going in, but he makes sure of it in typically spectacular fashion) 21:30

A final one handed save in injury time at the end of the game 30:05

Other points of interest in the match -

The first Villa goal at 11:55, an absolute beauty of a pass by Richardson and an equally lovely outside of the boot finish by Atkinson.

The second Villa goal at 16:10, Christ how quick was Daley? Great ball in, nice finish by Richardson. Then both him and Atkinson laugh as Guy Whittingham falls over.

The best save of the match? At 24:05 the Sunderland keeper Chamerlain gives Bosnich a run for his money by saving a header from Townsend while going the other way.

The third Villa goal at 27:30, Houghton scores with his first touch. Note the weird, lone scream that is clearly audible when the ball goes in and Houghton being slightly man handled by Atkinson during the celebration.

The fourth Villa goal at 29:25, Dalian Atkinson’s second deflects over the stranded keeper, a Sunderland player loses his boot and there’s a glorious “clanging” sound as the ball hits the net, almost acting as dismal klaxon to round off Sunderland’s night.

Additional - post match interview taking points and general thoughts  -

I’m sure it was perfectly dreadful, but Roker Park looked like it was made for midweek night league cup matches.

Mark Bosnich’s cheekbones.

Ron Atkinson’s nice quip about there only being one team in it and they lost. He kinda loses points by then inexplicably comparing Bosnich to General Custer, but you can’t have everything.

Bloody hell our defence looked abysmal 

Interesting that Southgate was described as the bodyguard to ensure no drinking and no girls.  Gives an insight into why he might have an issue with party players. 

Â