Mark Bosnich

Johnnyp

Couldn't find a thread for him. Only came to mind because i seen it on the club's Twitter page it was his birthday. Class keeper. I remember that 93/94 season where he saved a tonne of penalties. Save from Hughes also in the league cup final at the end. Save from bebeto against deportivio i think, in the UEFA cup ( and it was a bloody hard competition then )

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

He was a really good GK. Forgot all about his dodgy kicking, but yes superb shot stopper. He went off the rails a bit, I remember right . 

Aye. Liked to party and eventually got his contract torn up over illicit drug usage.

Worse still: He joined Chelsea.

15 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Aye. Liked to party and eventually got his contract torn up over illicit drug usage.

Worse still: He joined Chelsea.

He also played for United didn’t he? Remember being a youngster and getting up to watch him play for Australia. Back then you’d follow countries that had villa players playing for them. I think we all followed Ireland in the 94 World Cup for that reason alone. 

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

He also played for United didn’t he? Remember being a youngster and getting up to watch him play for Australia. Back then you’d follow countries that had villa players playing for them. I think we all followed Ireland in the 94 World Cup for that reason alone. 

Indeed. Followed his good friend Dwight to ManUre, got offside with Fergie really quickly and went to Chelsea. It went downhill from there partying with a famous British girl (whose name escapes me), drug use and his contract termination.

He had a hard time after that coping with life in general but finally set himself straight and joined Fox Sports as a pundit with fellow socceroo and ex Blackburn player Robbie Slater, which he remains in till this day. He even did a brief stint back between the sticks for an A-League team along the way.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Does anyone remember his debut for us? I can’t recall it. 

The first time I saw him play was at Sheffield Wednesday, away. If it wasn’t his debut it was very close to it. He was excellent in that game - looked completely nerveless. Best game I saw him play was away at Sunderland in the league cup in 1993, where we won, but Sunderland were all over us. We scored 3 from probably our only 3 shots and Bozzie must have made 15 or 20 good saves.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

The first time I saw him play was at Sheffield Wednesday, away. If it wasn’t his debut it was very close to it. He was excellent in that game - looked completely nerveless. Best game I saw him play was away at Sunderland in the league cup in 1993, where we won, but Sunderland were all over us. We scored 3 from probably our only 3 shots and Bozzie must have made 15 or 20 good saves.

I watched the highlights over Xmas of that game against Sunderland in the cup. He was brilliant wasn’t he. What a really exciting villa team that was, and that away strip was beautiful. Tranmere in the semis , talk about a rollercoaster.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Does anyone remember his debut for us? I can’t recall it. 

I am pretty sure his debut was away to the great unwashed at the temple of doom 1st Leg of The League Cup.  Came on to replace the injured Nigel Spink and promptly saved a penalty from John Frain.   We won 1-0 Richardson with the goal I think.   My memory could be playing tricks though!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

I am pretty sure his debut was away to the great unwashed at the temple of doom 1st Leg of The League Cup.  Came on to replace the injured Nigel Spink and promptly saved a penalty from John Frain.   We won 1-0 Richardson with the goal I think.   My memory could be playing tricks though!

Yep, think you’re right . 

Â