• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Lib Dems
    • Green
    • BNP
    • Other
    • Not voting
    • Spoiling Ballot Paper

Well what I mean there Gareth is that politicians, who rightly or wrongly will lead any discussions on this, should have the courage of their convictions to speak openly about this and not to never discuss it because to do so would be wrong.

I'm not sure how you do it I'm really not but I do think there needs to be some form of a wider debate about this because at the minute it is hidden away and BNP are largely benefiting by fear.

So let me get this right Politicians might not have the courage of their convictions to speak openly about issues and never discuss things because it makes them look bad?

I would say that there is a real possibility of that when the subject matter is about immigration yes, and certainly from those in the upper echelons.

Funny that, I personally think immigration has been one of the most hotly debated issues of the last 10 years. If fact, I think too much time and energy has been spent on the subject when there are much more pressing issues.

Well Baz the rise of BNP, and not just on this thread but believe me out in the voters, suggests that we need to have more open debates, well to me it does quite prepared to admit I'm wrong but it's a big worry

I would say that there is a real possibility of that when the subject matter is about immigration yes, and certainly from those in the upper echelons.

So its fair to assume that politicians are lying to the public then? And if that was the case then politicians are dishonest?

So its fair to assume that politicians are lying to the public then? And if that was the case then politicians are dishonest

No I think thats a step to far to take on the back of what I have said there.

So its fair to assume that politicians are lying to the public then? And if that was the case then politicians are dishonest

No I think thats a step to far to take on the back of what I have said there.

that makes no sense

I wouldn't vote. Even as a politics student. Labour and Conservative are as bad as one another, Lib Dem is the dithering party that doesn't have a clue what it wants, the rest are a waste of time even as a symbolic vote, BNP I'll be damned if I vote for scum. So, I wouldn't bother. It's as symbolic as the protest vote. And either way, my own belief is which ever wins, the Red team or the Blue team, they'll largely act in the same way.

Horrifying number of votes for the BNP. Seriously, I worry that they will gain in stature. A wolf in very tatty unconvincing sheeps clothing.

Well Baz the rise of BNP, and not just on this thread but believe me out in the voters, suggests that we need to have more open debates, well to me it does quite prepared to admit I'm wrong but it's a big worry

The debates have been had, laws have been made, immigration has not been neglected. You say a debate is needed, but what I think you actually mean is, I don't like the way the government have gone on this.

At the end of the day a minority of people don't like the way the government have gone on the issue and have decided the BNP's way would be better, which is their choice, but that to me signifies evidence of something far more alarming going on in British society.

The debates have been had, laws have been made, immigration has not been neglected. You say a debate is needed, but what I think you actually mean is, I don't like the way the government have gone on this.

Some debates on immigraion have been had but the have generally revolved around numbers, how one monitors numbers coming in and how one might control immigration (not only practically but also on what basis).

I think the debate that needs to be had is about the impact of immigration on this country's infrastructure.

A few groups (from the rozzers to charities) have attempted to begin a discussion about the repercussions of immigration in this regard in particular but whenever that has reached a 'national' level of debate, i.e. them darn politicians, the debate has returned mostly to numbers, quotas, points systems and the like.

I don't think immigration has been neglected but the next steps down the line and beyond have been.

Would that any politicians had the balls to look more than skin deep on a subject.

Im a genuine "dont know" (and why isnt this an option in the poll?)

Ive always voted Labour or Lib Dem. I don't think i could vote for either at the moment but i dont feel like voting Tory just as a protest against the fact that the global economy is **** due to over enthusiastic lending to people who couldn't afford to pay in the USA, or the fact that petrol is more expensive because *shock horror* the Chinese are buying oil and upsetting the supply/demand ratio we have all be used to.

I dont think either issue is strictly the governments fault. So id have to wait for some proper electioneering to take place.

Some debates on immigraion have been had but the have generally revolved around numbers, how one monitors numbers coming in and how one might control immigration (not only practically but also on what basis).

I think the debate that needs to be had is about the impact of immigration on this country's infrastructure.

A few groups (from the rozzers to charities) have attempted to begin a discussion about the repercussions of immigration in this regard in particular but whenever that has reached a 'national' level of debate, i.e. them darn politicians, the debate has returned mostly to numbers, quotas, points systems and the like.

I don't think immigration has been neglected but the next steps down the line and beyond have been.

Would that any politicians had the balls to look more than skin deep on a subject.

Again, I disagree, the debate on infrastructure is one which has been had. The area which IMO has been neglected and no real solution put forward for is that of integration and other social factors.

Again, I disagree, the debate on infrastructure is one which has been had. The area which IMO has been neglected and no real solution put forward for is that of integration and other social factors.

I don't really remember it being followed through with though, Baz. And I certainly don't see that there has been a real solution put foward there.

I am interested whether you have anything specific in mind when you mention integration and other social factors?

Not challenging you just interested in your thoughts on it.

I know we've drifted slightly off the exact topic in hand but I guess that is what happens when someone kickstarts a political discussion.

And there was me chastising politicians for digression. :D

Problems such as racism, intolerance and our increasingly segregated and fractured communities need to be addressed. These are not an immigration issues, these are social problems.

I agree that they need to be addressed and on the whole they don't have much relevance to current immigration though occasionally they can and do.

I actually think that my area of concern surrounding the extra burden upon infrastructure due to immigration (especially short term immigration) overlaps with this because I am coming at it from the point of view of almost not allowing anyone to be excluded.

Whether the exclusion occurs through intent, racism, bigotry, lack of funds, lack of planning, over congestion of the system - the results, ultimately, are the same. People find themselves treated differently in a way which perpetuates the fractured nature of communities.

I went Lib Dem, but not with any enthusiasm. I was a big fan under Kennedy, especially as they were the only party left wing enough to want to put up income tax. I'm not convinced about Clegg at all though, and I'll be curious as to which way their policies shift nearer the time of the actual election.

I'm not surprised at all at how well the Conservatives are doing onhere, sadly. The BNP love-in I did not expect though. Scandalous, depressing and short-sighted in my view.