• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Lib Dems
    • Green
    • BNP
    • Other
    • Not voting
    • Spoiling Ballot Paper

Following news of Labour's worst ever poll showing at 23% and the Tories on 49%, if there were a general election tomorrow which way would you vote?

Green.

A sybolic vote more than an actual desire for them to gain power. A message to the mainstream parties.

Labour are gone and as much as i dislike the current political cyclical set-up i think the conservatives have to be given a chance now.

lib dems. Dont like Labour, don't like Cameron. Like Clegg. Like Lib Dems. I know they'll never get in obviously, but it always seems to be the Lib Dem MPS who go er " er this secret pay rise is wrong" " er yes we shouldn't have two houses and claiming ridiculous levels of support to ukeep them" etc. I know their inelectibility allows them to at least sound more principled I suppose, but meh, rather that than voting for someone I dislike.

Of course if I was in an area where there was no candidate from the lib dems it would be a protest vote for the least worst of those left.

Added a couple of more popular options, hope you don't mind ;)
Under "other" surely?

nope both are different but conscious decisions and one of them is profoundly more popular than any party, other is for people voting for a party not mentioned in the poll

So what this will do that unless the Tory get 49% of the vote here, show that political polls are a waste of space and time?

And surely unless you are a political sheep, then your vote at any election is for that candidate. There was a well known mod who once voted Tory to stop some other party getting in locally I seem to recall. Did that man really want the Tory party to win the general election?

Totally and utterly flawed question

drat01 - you aren't naive to genuinely think that ( in general ) votes go for the individual candidate. It's all on national policies and the figurehead of the leader. This is where I jump in and go we need to do it USA style! though without all the primary - caucus delegate complexityness.

the local elections - prime example, had bugger all to do with the individuals, who as I heard on several radio phone ins bemoaned the fact that voters ignored their work on a local level simply to give Brown a bloody nose* ( * insert random metaphor as applicable )

I would vote Tory to stop a BNP person getting in for what it's worth if the Tory was the best placed candidate to win, not that I ever hope to live in areas where the BNP have any form of serious presence of course.

another debate I heard, people rang in justifying why they voted BNP in the locals- candidates came round and just promised "grown up politics" and didn't even give any policies :shock: some totally naive people out there.

So what this will do that unless the Tory get 49% of the vote here, show that political polls are a waste of space and time?

Not reallya s a poll would be weighted and take regional variations ... On this web site for example i would expect the Tories to loose

If the poll was done in my home town then i would expect the Tories to get about 70 % and Labour next to nothing ,sadly we have loads of wooly lib dems around here :shock: to account for the rest of the vote

Polls are important but only if you understand how to use them and how they were compiled

drat01 - you aren't naive to genuinely think that ( in general ) votes go for the individual candidate. It's all on national policies and the figurehead of the leader. This is where I jump in and go we need to do it USA style! though without all the primary - caucus delegate complexityness.

the local elections - prime example, had bugger all to do with the individuals, who as I heard on several radio phone ins bemoaned the fact that voters ignored their work on a local level simply to give Brown a bloody nose* ( * insert random metaphor as applicable )

I would vote Tory to stop a BNP person getting in for what it's worth if the Tory was the best placed candidate to win, not that I ever hope to live in areas where the BNP have any form of serious presence of course.

Rodders haven't you just contradicted yourself with your last paragraph? In that you say you would vote on a local level as opposed to a national level.

Honestly I vote based on what each candidate in my particular area stands for, not what Cameron or Brown look like on TV

Who voted Labour!!!!!!
a lot of people - including enough to win the last 3 elections easily.

Who voted Tory and why would be a better question

Not reallya s a poll would be weighted and take regional variations ... On this web site for example i would expect the Tories to loose

That does not follow Tony. Surely on a web site like VT that is made up of people from various parts of the country, from various age groups and from various economic groups then surely it is a poll of a reasonable cross section.

Probably the only group not significantly covered would be women