• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Lib Dems
    • Green
    • BNP
    • Other
    • Not voting
    • Spoiling Ballot Paper

I'll be spoiling my ballot paper, as this actually does exercise my democratic right but offers my support to no brand of political dickhead

On a side issue, how could I spoil my ballot paper in a VT poll?

Honestly I vote based on what each candidate in my particular area stands for
Does each candidate not stand for what his party have told him to stand for, ie the manifesto? So are such decisions not based at a national level, and the individual candidates have little relevance.

No Gringo not all do - if ever you get the chance ask them a few questions based on what is important to you

Sometimes you get some really surprising answers. I think its fairly obvious that some are scared of upsetting national politics and try and basically deny who they are and what their party stands for, and you should avoid them like the plague or take the Bicks route of spoiling the paper. Its the same at all levels of politics wherever anyone allegedly stands for a political party.

A whole political structure of independents would be the ideal

If the election was tomorrow I'd vote Tory as things stand. With a better leader and a healthy dose of reality I could easily change that to the Lib Dems but personally I think Clegg is a joke who would be as bad Brown if he got in.

A whole political structure of independents would be the ideal

Bicks floated this a while ago and I agree, the trick would be finding the mechanisms to develop policy proposals in an over-arching way so the left hand actually knows what the right is doing and can coordinate their efforts. ( Not that this actually happens under the current arrangements either but they do at least provide the framework for it to happen under a competent government )

Honestly I vote based on what each candidate in my particular area stands for
Does each candidate not stand for what his party have told him to stand for, ie the manifesto? So are such decisions not based at a national level, and the individual candidates have little relevance.

It would seem that the Scottish labour party don't have their decisions taken by the leader of the Labour party.

They are the same party, aren't they? Wendy Alexander and her lot didn't just think the name was cool and a sure fire electoral winner, did they? :winkold: :lol:

Also, Harriet Harman mentioned, in passing, on The Daily Politics that there was a 'local' manifesto for the Crewe and Nantwich by-election.

Hopefully it is better written and is not of the same style as the local labour party campaign (and website) for Tamsin Dunwoody.

Is it really the right way about trying to get someone elected to be calling another candidate 'Tory Boy' like he is a Harry Enfield character? A rather puerile campaign.

Don't know what the Tory campaign website is like, I can't find it. :lol:

Not reallya s a poll would be weighted and take regional variations ... On this web site for example i would expect the Tories to loose

That does not follow Tony. Surely on a web site like VT that is made up of people from various parts of the country, from various age groups and from various economic groups then surely it is a poll of a reasonable cross section.

Probably the only group not significantly covered would be women

No i based it on VT being full of lazy students who traditionally vote labour and the fact that we have a high northern contingent on here who wouldn't vote Tory even if they were (and are) the best party to vote for as things stand

I would like to know why 5 people have voted for the BNP? Disgusting then again that is your perogative

That's democracy! Would be nice if one or more of them fancied explaining why but as they are highly likely to get abuse rather than debate I don't expect them to.

Personally I'm disgusted by anyone who could vote for the motley collection of scum known as 'Respect' but totally support their right to do so.

Yes a lot of people are doing so and thats a worry. For me it sygnifies that we need a national debate on the subject of immigration

Id rather vote Respect than BNP.

BNP is hardly a protest vote if you want to protest vote why not go for one of the other parties i.e. Green party or even Lib Dems. BNP have shown themselves to be inept where they have been voted in.

Lib Dems, not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but over the last decade have been by far the most competent and morally sound of the 3 main parties.

They've consistently put forward policies founded on good moral values, which is why probably why they'd never win an election.

I couldn't vote in a British GE, but you can't stop me from voting on here so pah! :)

I'm a member of the Norwegian Labour Party and would normally support their European sister parties. However, I can't get myself to support a party(leadership) that not only supported the war in Iraq but actually helped in starting it, a party(leadership) that is basically Thatcherism under a different name.

I'd back the Lib Dems, if nothing else just to get some new faces and some fresh ideas into British government.

Yes a lot of people are doing so and thats a worry. For me it sygnifies that we need a national debate on the subject of immigration

How does one have a national debate exactly? Or is that just some old hoary bollocks that politicians come out with to make themselves sound good and hope that everyone forgets the issue in a few weeks? Where is the national debating chamber where the debate takes place? Who gets the chance to have their say? Are the public invited? All of them?

Having never witnessed a national debate on anything I'm just curious

See to me it sounds like something someone would say to sound sympathetic to a cause but ultimately will do **** all about the issue

Well what I mean there Gareth is that politicians, who rightly or wrongly will lead any discussions on this, should have the courage of their convictions to speak openly about this and not to never discuss it because to do so would be wrong.

I'm not sure how you do it I'm really not but I do think there needs to be some form of a wider debate about this because at the minute it is hidden away and BNP are largely benefiting by fear.