All time Villa XI for Villa Park - Forwards

OutByEaster?

At a previous Heritage and History supporters group meeting, the club discussed filling the 11 framed spaces in the brickwork on the side of the Holte  End with an All Time Aston Villa XI.  We've agreed to help them create a shortlist for each position which they'll allow season ticket holders and members to vote on.

Therefore, we would like to start this process by asking for your help in creating a shortlist of players for each position.

To help a little in narrowing selection, the club have created some parameters from the outset.

There have been many players and many formations played over the years. The club see a 4-4-2 as the simplest interpretation of how to fill a side.  The use of roman numerals is deliberate.  Players will have worn all sorts of numbers and that number would relate to a different position not only depending on the formation - with the introduction of modern squad numbers anything goes!

To make the short list, we would ask that players have done at least one of these things:

• Played at least 100 times for Villa
  • Won a major trophy with Villa 
  • Played in a promotion season with Villa

Please try and take in to account the “ALL TIME” element, and don’t restrict this to players you have seen play.  The Harry Hamptons of our history should be taken in to account.

You don't have to name ten, the idea is that we come up with a list of ten that season ticket holders and members can vote on - name as few or as many as you'd like. 

So, your thoughts on forwards please - i'll add an ongoing list to this post, so you can see who we're recommending.

We have until 7th May.

• Pongo Waring
  • Dwight Yorke
  • Andy Gray
  • Brian Little
  • Gary Shaw
  • Johnny Dixon
  • Peter McParland
  • Gerry Hitchens
  • Harry Hampton
  • Joe Bache
  • Billy Walker
  • Jack Devey

he was a little bit before my time but think Pongo Waring is probably on stats alone the greatest Villa striker ever

Incredibly it looks like no Villa forward has hit over a 100 goals for the club since the 1960s which I think is pretty shocking. Modern strikers then Tammy and Benteke need to be included considering the circumstances and Yorke too

• Like 2

Whilst we’ve had some good strikers, I think in the “modern era” we could only put Yorke and Gabby (I know some will question this, but he’s still our leading premier league striker). No one else really has the longevity 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Whilst we’ve had some good strikers, I think in the “modern era” we could only put Yorke and Gabby (I know some will question this, but he’s still our leading premier league striker). No one else really has the longevity 

Benteke? I’m surprised that he hasn’t been mentioned yet, in 2012/13, he was unplayable 

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Benteke? I’m surprised that he hasn’t been mentioned yet, in 2012/13, he was unplayable 

He doesn’t fall within any of the criteria, he was a good player yes, but in an all time line up, not for me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

He doesn’t fall within any of the criteria, he was a good player yes, but in an all time line up, not for me

I thought he had played 100 games for us, it seems that he played 89 times for us according to Wikipedia 

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

There's many better forwards than Benteke who have played for Villa, strange how he seems to be getting the most interest.

I think you’re forgetting how good he actually was for us, he could just conjure up a piece of magic out of nothing. You’re letting his Crystal Palace form cloud your judgement 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

There's many better forwards than Benteke who have played for Villa, strange how he seems to be getting the most interest.

Benteke has a lot of credit in the bank due to the absolute shite he played with, we would have been relegated 3 years before we actually did without him

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Benteke has a lot of credit in the bank due to the absolute shite he played with, we would have been relegated 3 years before we actually did without him

Was it a ***** side in reality? We had Delph, Vlaar and Agbonlahor to name but a few 

As a younger supporter I know nothing about villa pre 2002 so I don’t really have anything to contribute as we haven’t won anything since I’ve been supporting. The promotion criteria for me would only apply to our recent championship years.

I appreciate the concept though. Not a criticism but for the likes of me it’s another reminder of how I’ve never seen any success at villa and we are an “in the past” club. I can’t relate at all.

The only decent strikers I’ve seen at Villa are Dublin, Angel, Vassell at a push, Carew, Benteke, one season of Kodjia and one season of Abraham. Maybe Gabby as our all time PL scorer but I like many others lost a lot of love for the guy as time went on. 

7 hours ago, Spoony said:

As a younger supporter I know nothing about villa pre 2002 so I don’t really have anything to contribute as we haven’t won anything since I’ve been supporting. The promotion criteria for me would only apply to our recent championship years.

I appreciate the concept though. Not a criticism but for the likes of me it’s another reminder of how I’ve never seen any success at villa and we are an “in the past” club. I can’t relate at all.

The only decent strikers I’ve seen at Villa are Dublin, Angel, Vassell at a push, Carew, Benteke, one season of Kodjia and one season of Abraham. Maybe Gabby as our all time PL scorer but I like many others lost a lot of love for the guy as time went on. 

That's fair enough, I understand your point of view mate.

Â