All time Villa XI for Villa Park - Forwards

OutByEaster?

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

I work on Holford Way, close to Villa Park. Every lunchtime for nearly 15 years a few of the guys used to go over to the Barn Social club to have a cob, a pint and a couple of games of snooker. We were regulars on Friday's after work too and obviously used it on match day's before and after the game. 

The snooker room was looked after by an old fella named Les. I remember talking to him one Saturday before a game. This is going back around 20 years and he was about 80+ then. He said he knew Pongo Waring and that he used to go in that club and have a drink and a game of snooker before Villa games. He said he would have his boots with him and the fans going to the game would walk to Villa Park with him on the way to play the match. He said he would then go back to the club after the game and again, walk with the fans. He would go back and have a few drinks and play more snooker. 

Imagine that happening ever again? 

Great story. It was like that in those days.

I used to play snooker every wednesday night with Andy Gray at the chrysler club on Coventry Rd in the late 70's....before going on to the the Aero club.

...its amazing how good footballers are at snooker....I understand Gary Lineker used to play a lot with Willie Thorne and used to hold his own...pardon the pun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Best forwards I've seen in a Villa shirt ? 1, Little. 2, Gray. 3, Saunders. 4, Withe.5, Atkinson. 6, Yorke. 7, Rambo. 8, Bruno.9, Deehan. 10, Geddis.

Yeah, well, I've seen a photo of Johnny Dixon in a photo on wikipedia 😛 

Seriously though, great to read through the thread and be acquainted with history, and greatness..

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Best forwards I've seen in a Villa shirt ? 1, Little. 2, Gray. 3, Saunders. 4, Withe.5, Atkinson. 6, Yorke. 7, Rambo. 8, Bruno.9, Deehan. 10, Geddis.

No Shaw? 

11 hours ago, PaulC said:

Nice one.  Who is Bruno? Gary Thompson 

Correct. Incidentally, many moons ago, I went to League cup tie at the old Baseball ground. We ended up sitting with some of the Villa players who had been left out for the game. I sat with Thomo and you couldn't have met a more down to earth fella. He's a Kings Heath lad and Villa through and through. The other players who were there that night, Paul Elliott, what a powerful lad he was. He went on to become a Celtic legend. Andy Gray, best header of a ball, I've ever seen. Neale Cooper, such a shame he didn't fulfill that potential. Andy Blair, he came to us with so much promise, but, sadly, it never quite clicked.

Some buzz that was, being able to mingle with Villa legends. Thomo ,may have not been the best player of the bunch, but he was certainly the best dressed. Proper, dapper Don.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

I was just a teenager when we signed Andy Gray from Dundee United.

He was the complete centre forward. Nippy, hard, great in the air. He would go in where he shouldn't with his head resulting in many an injury. In fact his almost 1 in 2 scoring rate for us would have been better had he not missed so many games with injury.

I was crestfallen when he went to Wolves, but it did teach me a lesson at a young age - most footballers are mercenary bastards.

That was the last time selling a player ever got to me.

spacer.png

Edited by rjw63
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

I was just a teenager when we signed Andy Gray from Dundee United.

He was the complete centre forward. Nippy, hard, great in the air. He would go in where he shouldn't with his head resulting in many an injury. In fact his almost 1 in 2 scoring rate for us would have been better had he not missed so many games with injury.

I was crestfallen when he went to Wolves, but it did teach me a lesson at a young age - most footballers are mercenary bastards.

spacer.png

He still loves the Villa, though. 

On 11/05/2020 at 12:59, rjw63 said:

Didn't he go because he needed the signing on fee to pay off debts? Or have I imagined that?

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

Didn't he go because he needed the signing on fee to pay off debts? Or have I imagined that?

No idea but sounds feasible. He had that nightclub in Brum that probably caused financial nightmares

Â