Baseball

ianrobo1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I haven't much followed the Mets' off-season moves or spring training much this off-season, and this is about the least "into it" I've been for a new baseball season in quite a number of years. I'm still pissed off at the club for the past two seasons: not so much the players and the manager (they come and go), more so the ownership.

The Mets are the third-richest club in Major League Baseball yet they operate like a mid-market team. A few years ago the owner Fred Wilpon slipped up and famously said in the media that the club's goal was to play "meaningful games" in September; which basically means he doesn't care if the team makes the playoffs let alone winning the World Series. After the predictable outrage from the fans (and the 2007 collapse) his son Jeff Wilipon (now the club's Chief Operating Officer) revised that remark and stated the team's goal now is to have meaningful games into "late October", which would imply at least winning the pennant (but still not winning the World Series).

OK, so now they've got slightly higher ambitions. So, what do they do last season after Omar Minaya fails to sign any relievers before the trading deadline, goes into the stretch run with a AAA-quality bullpen, and presides over another failed playff run ... they give him a contract extension! (and also retain the manager Jerry Manuel, who I don't blame for the last season's finish, but still.) So that proves once and for all that the team's ownership could absolutely care less about winning a championship.

They'll never admit this, but the Wilpons' whole business model sates that if the Mets are just good enough to remain in playoff contention and keep the fans interested, they'll sell enough tickets, sell enough shirts and caps, and get good enough TV ratings to turn a profit. Anything beyond that (like say, actually making the playoffs and winning a playoff series or two) is just a bonus. This would be fine for a smaller-market team with fewer fans and a smaller revenue stream (Cincinatti, Pittsburgh, Seattle, etc.), but for a team in the nation's largest media market with a huge fan base and loads of money, it's a disgrace.

Last year the Mets failed to make the playoffs on the final day of the season for the second year in a row, crushing the spirits of thousands of fans. The Wilpons did not give a shit. Why? There were over 50,000 people in the stands that final Sunday and they had a profitable year. So what if the team lost.

The fact that they seriously jacked up ticket prices for the 2008 season, as a preamble to an even bigger price increase for 2009 in the new ballpark, and you see why a life-long fan loses interest.

I'll always be a Mets fan and will always root for them (it's too much a part of me not to), but in a way I am really hoping that (win or lose) this new billion-dollar stadium remains half-empty this season, the TV ratings plummet, and the Wilpons go on to lose millions of dollars and be publicly embarrassed. It's the least they deserve.

cubs will win division (no one else good enough )

royals will finish above white sox - imho

red sox to win east

braves 3rd - lots of young prospects though

Its definitely the cubs year this time :lol:

Guest Ricardomeister

Anyone know when the coverage starts on Channel 5 again? Started watching a couple of years ago and adopted the Rays as they were the most exciting to watch. And I also took an instant dislike to the arrogant Yankees!

royals will finish above white sox - imho

That's not a bad shout you know, they have a decent enough rotation anchored by Meche and Greinke, seemed like Kyle Davies had figured a few things out last year too. Plenty of potential in the offence, in a weak(ish) division, what's not to like?

You can get them at 66/1 to win the lot with Will Hill, probably better elsewhere, will look later.

what are they to win their division ?

they could definatly win it - much improved

im also a fan of texas rangers

they will score in bunches but like the braves are a few years

away with lots of good young pitching prospects

what are they to win their division ?

Around 10/1. You could combine that with their over/under I think which is around 75 wins depending where you look.

You can actually get them at 100/1 to win the WS quite a lot of places. Surely if they can win their division, which is not out of the realms of possibility, they would have as good a chance as any.

Anyone know when the coverage starts on Channel 5 again? Started watching a couple of years ago and adopted the Rays as they were the most exciting to watch. And I also took an instant dislike to the arrogant Yankees!

You jumped on the Rays bandwagon at the right time then! Bit like me and my Braves, started following them in 92 on Eurosport, taking on the Pirates and big bad Barry Bonds who wasn't so big back then. The moment Sid slid, my heart was won.

They should have the opening game, they normally do. There were rumours they were extending their coverage but I've not heard anything more about that over the winter.

Get yourself NASN, or if you have a decent connection and a big monitor, MLB.tv is pretty good quality and worth the cash. There are, like with the footy, a few shall we say less than legal ways to watch the games too, but that's becoming increasingly difficult.

Just a question to our New Yorkers on here.. I'm over in NY for 2 weeks starting Thursday and wondered hat chances I have of getting to see either the Yankees or Mets? I don't have a clue on how difficult tickets are to get or the pricing, so any help would be appreciated! Cheers.

mets open at home to san diego 13-15-16

yankees vs cleveland 16-17-18

mets play a pre-season game vs red sox on sat 4th

check ebay for tix

both teams are opening new stadiums this year so probably expensive !

they are on the road from april 6

should be fun to watch in a bar if you dont get tix

Cheers mate.

Yeah, gutted about the new stadiums, was originally meant to be going in September time and wa shoping to catch a game at either Yankees or Shea, unfortunately my dad passport put that dream to an end!

Just a question to our New Yorkers on here.. I'm over in NY for 2 weeks starting Thursday and wondered hat chances I have of getting to see either the Yankees or Mets? I don't have a clue on how difficult tickets are to get or the pricing, so any help would be appreciated! Cheers.

You'll have to pay through your nose to cop tickets to either Yankees or Mets, cuz they're both opening new stadiums this year. Mets should cost you less though.

Try to get to a Rangers game. they play at MSG, so you wont have to leave Manhattan.

Its not - find below an email from Jonny Gould

Welcome Fellow-Baseball Nuts....... God I'm going to miss saying that.

I'm sure most of you have heard the rumours. Five TV have ended their association with our beloved sport, or at least they have not committed to another season of Baseball on 5 every Wednesday and Sunday night. The rumours have been many and mixed, and I'm sorry that I'm not in a position to fully clarify the situation for you. What I can tell you is that if this is the end, it has been one hell of a ride. Understandably many of our hardcore viewers are pretty pissed off with Five, but rememeber they have made a 12-year committent and for that alone we should all be very grateful.

So what's next? Well first and foremost the movers and the shakers in UK Baseball are still committed to finding a home for Baseball on UK television. There is no guarantee as to when or even if that will happen, but we are committed to keeping the Baseball family intact. To that end we are continuing the Fantasy League this season regardless of whether my Baseball TV career has legs. So get your Fantasy Caps on tilt because it's time to play ball!

Â