Baseball

ianrobo1

No problemo. I may well have the same myself.

Watch them bomb and lose 100 games now!

I'll tell you who I like as another cheeky outside WS bet, the Marlins.

1997 -> 2003 -> 2009?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1997 -> 2003 -> 2009?

I hope not, I think it's an absolute disgrace that they're allowed to get away with what they do. Having a firesale and sucking for 5 years at a time, driving the fans away and making a mockery of the system. If there's ever a reason baseball needs a minimum salary cap then they are it.

But yeh, tis possible. Don't think this team is quite in the same league as those, but they've got a shot. On the plus side, they're in the toughest division in the NL (maybe the AL too) by far.

Huizenga had an excuse for the firesale the first time around. The local council basically told him, "Win the World Series and we'll build you a new stadium." (presumably thinking along the lines that Brum council would if they promised blose a new stadium if they won the league...) Then, after the Marlins win the Series, and no stadium gets approved, Huizenga holds the firesale.

Braves @ Phillies opens the season...

PINGing DDID: you planning to watch a stream?

I'll watch it for as long as I can stand Joe "any player would be a better player if they were black" Morgan. He is quite possibly the most annoying baseball commentator ever.

Actually, he's not...

is the worst commentator, in any sport, ever. I regret the error.

Good thing baseball's here, as Villa's season pretty much ended today.

Was at the Mets-Red Sox preseason game Friday night; first-ever Mets game at Citi Field. I think I speak for most people who were there in saying that I spent much more time looking around the new stadium than actually watching the game. It will take some getting used to after a life-time of Shea.

When Bobby Valentine got fired but Phillips kept his job, most Mets fans thought it was a misprint. i.e. they were pretty stunned. Most fans loved him at the beginning, hated him in the end. In retrospect, I'd say most wouldn't criticize him too much given he returned the team to respectability and won a pennant, after several years of futility. Personally I like him better as a broadcaster.

Yeah, Valentine was a pretty good manager... I've long been surprised that he hasn't gotten another shot at managing in the USA...

A good manager but emotionally unstable; plays too many mind games, paranoid, etc. He's the perfect guy to take a young, not-so-good team, and bring them to respectability. But not so good with a more veteran team that is expected to win big.

When you consider he won the NL Pennant in 2000 with an outfield consisting of Jay Payton, Benny Agbayani, and Timo Perez (not to mention Todd Zeile at first base and an unremarkable starting rotation), that's a pretty damn good managing job.

Atlanta Braves news : Josh Anderson traded to the Tigers for a RP prospect.....Jordan Schafer will be our starting CF! Rookie of the year, you heard it here first.....

nice start for Shafer & Braves

Just getting ready to visit Chicago Pizza to see the cubs opening game. Read the rules on the internet and Im quite looking forward to it! 2 years ago you couldnt have paid me to watch American sports, but theres definitely something in it!

Â