Baseball

ianrobo1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Holland upset gives the WBC just what it needs: A shocker. That a European team could beat the DR is exceptional. Let's hope for a few more surprises.

Absolutely. Kind of like the DR beating Holland in football. A shocker but one that speaks of the level of international talent that's out there in the world today.

Went to Korea's destruction of China tonight. So it's Japan vs Korea II tomorrow night, and something tells me it's not going to be as one sided as the first game.

The games in Tokyo have easily had the best atmosphere. Even with some severe blowouts. The constant chanting/cheering is something you just don't see here in the States.

The games in Tokyo have easily had the best atmosphere. Even with some severe blowouts. The constant chanting/cheering is something you just don't see here in the States.

IIRC, aren't the Japanese domestic leagues noticeably more, er, sedate, than the North American leagues, with much more of a sit-and-watch-quietly until it's time to cheer for a bit aspect?

The double-elimination format is part of what makes this interesting. I suspect that DR's manager decided that losing to Holland, likely to face Panama (if they lost to Puerto Rico) and then only having to play Puerto Rico once (in Puerto Rico) was preferable to beating Holland and likely having to play Puerto Rico twice.

USA are now playing Venezuela, and Australia vs. Mexico is coming up.

ESPN just showed a tale-of-the-tape for Netherlands v. DR. The line that sticks out is the aggregate annual wage for the Dominicans vs. the Dutch:

$83.4m vs. $400k

The average Dominican player is on $64k a week. The average Dutch player is on $300 a week.

IIRC, aren't the Japanese domestic leagues noticeably more, er, sedate, than the North American leagues, with much more of a sit-and-watch-quietly until it's time to cheer for a bit aspect?

There's an element of that, but I wouldn't call them sedate by any means. When a player comes up to bat, fans stand up and sing the players song/chant continuously until he's either out or gets a hit. When they're not chanting then folks chat, eat and get pissed much like North American crowds.

Baseball is one of those sports I put on when I'm going to bed or want to have a nap. It interests me enough to want to watch it, but I care little enough about it to happily fall asleep to it. Kinda like a Middlesbrough game.

On a side note, My mate spent a year in Japan and went to a Baseball game. Said it was the best and worst thing he'd ever been to. Said the atmosphere and crowd participation was brilliant and made the trip worth it. Said the game was completely shit though.

Aussies beat Mexico in eight innings

When Sunday's epic slate of action had come to a close, the Classic picture had become a little clearer and a lot more intriguing, and the main reason was the team from Down Under.

Not only did Australia break through with its first win in Classic history by beating heavily favored Mexico in Mexico City, but the Aussies did it in a mercy-rule inducing rout, winning 17-7 in a game that was stopped after eight innings.

Yes, the lightning-quick evolution of the global talent showcased in this tournament continues to amaze, and after one of the most unlikely results in international baseball history Saturday -- the Netherlands' 3-2 upset of the Dominican Republic -- Australia provided the now-requisite doozy Sunday.

Offense was on display in all five matchups, however, with none of the winning teams scoring fewer than eight runs and three countries putting up double digits.

Meanwhile, the United States took care of business in impressive fashion in Toronto, cruising past Venezuela, 15-6, to advance to the second round unscathed.

Panama and China were eliminated, with both countries being shut out -- Panama by the resurgent Dominicans and China by the advancing Korea.

And championship contender Cuba showed up and got to work hitting the ball, smacking six home runs in an 8-1 pasting of South Africa.

A memorable Monday is on tap, followed by the rest of this already unforgettable parade of passion, pride and pure athleticism, all the way to the final at Dodger Stadium on March 23.

Today will feature one game in each pool, with a lot at stake for every team that takes the field. Korea will try to get revenge on Japan in the Pool A finale and eke out a pool victory; Mexico and South Africa will face off in Mexico City in a battle to stave off elimination; The Netherlands will try to shock San Juan and the rest of the world one more time against the host Puerto Ricans; and Canada and Italy will play in Toronto, with the loser going home.

While the events of this year's Classic have hardly gone according to plan, one thing you can count on is high drama everywhere you look.

Just ask Australian catcher Andy Graham, who didn't hesitate to answer when asked if his club is now ready to win the tournament.

"Of course we are," Graham said. "We always have been. We came into this tournament knowing that we can win this. It's not back 10 years ago where we were just trying to gain respect. We're a force, a team that's going to bring some force. We're going to try to win every game we play."

USA/Canada Pool C finale would be very good!

It's a game more appreciated by actually having tried to play it. Like pretty much every other sport I can stomach to watch. Hitting a 95 mph pitch is about as difficult a thing to do as any other action in any other sport.

Puerto Rico loads the bases with 1 out in the seventh and the Dutch get out of another jam.

This 19-year-old kid, Sulbaran, pitching for the Dutch is amazing. We could be seeing him in the big leagues soon (he's in the Reds farm system).

As much as I want the US to do well... I hate seeing Chipper get hurt more. granted he's at the age where he's bound to be on the DL at some point during the season. But to see the Braves crippled with injuries so much last year, don't want to see similar things happen this year. should be time to spur on a youth movement in the club.

BTW Levi, it's really gonna blow to see Smoltz with no name on his back this season, best of luck to your team. What's expected of him up there?

Well, you'll be able to see "Smoltz" on the away shirts... we're not as arrogant as the Yankees to think that every fan of baseball should know the complete roster ;)

If Smoltz will probably be the #4 or 5 starter when he gets back to full health in May or June (part of the reason he chose the Sox was the medical staff), depending on how Penny, Dice-K, and Wakefield are doing... I wouldn't rule out middle & long relief, either. There's definitely a deep well of starting pitching up here this year with Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, and the aforementioned bunch.

I gotta say tonight's game between the Netherlands and the Dominican Republic has somewhat changed my opinion (see earlier post) on the WBC. Gutsy win by the Dutch and very entertaining to watch (saw it from the 8th inning onward).

To put it in perspective, the Netherlands beating the Dominican Republic is as big an upset as it would be if the Dominican Republic beat the Netherlands in soccer. Amazing.

As a Mets fan, I'm glad the tournament is now over for Jose Reyes and that he didn't get hurt. Then again, him and the rest of the team might get shot if they go back to DR any time soon.

Have to admit that I didn't watch it :(

AFP's report

Netherlands pulled off the greatest shocker in the history of the World Baseball Classic with a 2-1 upset of Dominican Republic to reach the second round of the elite global tournament.

The 11-inning thriller was not decided until Dominican first baseman Willy Aybar botched a hard-hit ball from Yurendell de Caster and Gene Kingsale - a goat turned hero within 15 minutes - scored the deciding run from third base.

The unfancied European side with 11 players from Curacao and two more from Aruba ousted the favored Dominicans and joins powerhouses United States, Puerto Rico and Venezuela in a group that opens second-round play Saturday in Miami.

The Dutch stunned the Dominicans 3-2 in their opener, battled Puerto Rico to the finish before dropping a 3-1 heartbreaker on Monday and were forced to repeat their upset feat in a rematch against the Dominicans.

But the Caribbean islanders, who boast a huge number of elite Major League Baseball millionaires, fell victim to a Dutch Double as the Netherlands would not be denied in a thrilling drama.

As tension mounted through 10 scoreless innings, the Dominicans had stranded 10 base runners to just four for the Dutch, who were baffled early by Dominican starting pitcher Ubaldo Jimenez and his 10 strikeouts over four innings.

In the 11th, Dutch pitcher Leon Boyd issued a two-out walk to Jose Reyes and was undone when Jose Bautista followed with a slap to short right field that Kingsale raced to catch.

Instead, Kingsale missed and the ball rolled past him, allowing Reyes to score and Bautista to reach third on the error. Boyd struck out Hanley Ramirez to end the threat but the damage had been done.

Dominican supporters celebrated but the Dutch would have their chance to answer, batting last as the designated home team, and they made the most of it.

Dutch pinch hitter Sidney de Jong doubled to the centerfield wall off Carlos Marmol and advanced to third base on Curt Smith's ground out, bringing Aruba's Kingsale to the plate with a chance at redemption.

Kingsale singled to right field to score de Jong with the equalizer and moments later, Marmol made an errant throw to first base on an attempt to pick off Kingsale and he raced to third, putting himself in position to score.

Marmol responded by striking out Sharlon Schoop for the second out, then intentionally walking Randall Simon, a 32-year-old veteran of eight US major league seasons.

That brought De Caster to the plate and he swatted the ball down the first base line, where it deflected away from Aybar to allow Kingsale home and touch off a bench-clearing Dutch celebration as the stunned Dominicans watched.

Â