What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

Made a Spinach and Chicken Curry from one of Madhur Jaffrey's books last night.

Really simple, but really nice. If anyone's interested:

2 Onions

6 Cloves of Garlic

5cm piece of Ginger

Tblsp Paprika

Tspn Hot Cayenne Pepper

Put into blender and make into paste.

5tblsp oil

5cm stick of cinnamon

8 cardamon pods

Sizzle about for a bit. Seal some well seasoned chicken thighs, remove and keep warm.

Introduce paste into spiced oil, fry for a couple of minutes.

Add a packet of Spinach & a tsp of salt and continue to fry.

Re introduct Chicken and 120ml of Water.

Cover and simmer for half an hour.

Perfecto.

Black or Green Cardamon pods?

Guys you have to try this Brownie recipe as it is the most amazing thing I have baked! This brownie will get you laid!!!!! :lol: Made a batch for my girlfriend and she took some for her mates when they went away the weekend and I am well loved!!! :lol:

185g unsalted butter

185g best dark chocolate

85g plain flour

40g cocoa powder

50g white chocolate

50g milk chocolate

3 large eggs

275g golden caster sugar

Method

I've found Madhur Jaffrey's book to be particularly good for starters, soups & novelty stuff (like spicy popcorn for example). Whereas Camellia Panjabi's 50 Greatest curries is the business for main courses.

I've found Madhur Jaffrey's book to be particularly good for starters, soups & novelty stuff (like spicy popcorn for example). Whereas Camellia Panjabi's 50 Greatest curries is the business for main courses.

Not actually tried any of the starter type things, but probably should do.

I actually have Camellia Panjabi's 50 greatest curries book (one of the newer editions), it was bought for me as a present, but have never really used it that much. I tried the one recipe for Vindaloo and it ended up being quite watery, so it went to the back of the cupboard.

The work is in grating the tomato and that doesn't take long. It's more messy than it is labour-intensive. But as I say, it cooks in minutes and is gorgeous (I go for more prawns than the recipe suggests :)).

This is what I like about that Madhur Jaffrey book, only a handfull of different ground spices are used throughout the book, which makes the dishes a bit more affordable. Cayenne pepper tends to appear in a lot of her recipes.

The main issue i'd level at "Camellia Panjabi's 50 Greatest curries" is the sheer number of ingredients required for a lot of the curries. By no means criticising the authenticity or quality of the meals, but building a large collection of ground spices can be quite expensive, and the idea of forking out £3 on mace, is probably a bridge too far.

Â