What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

I cut out bread 3 weeks ago and could not feel better, I just buy a load of salad stuff at the start of the week and have a sandwich box of salad every lunch time with either cold meat or tuna.

Also with toast out of the equation I have a yogurt and a bannana every day for breakfast.

Weighed myself yesterday and have lost **** all weight but do feel so much better

I cut out bread 3 weeks ago and could not feel better, I just buy a load of salad stuff at the start of the week and have a sandwich box of salad every lunch time with either cold meat or tuna.

Also with toast out of the equation I have a yogurt and a bannana every day for breakfast.

Weighed myself yesterday and have lost **** all weight but do feel so much better

I believe you, but that is seriously my idea of hell on earth.

I should save a few quid here and there also as I dont drink. (Or eat anchovies.)

I was wondering about the anchovies as I sent it, they are a "love or hate" taste. I would suggest leaving the anchovies out of the salsa, or else do a red salsa instead (eg red pepper, chili, tomato, chopped onion, lemon/lime). For the chicken dish, try Pollo al Ajillo instead. Saute about 10 whole cloves of garlic in olive oil (take off the papery outer skin, but don't peel), saute chicken until brown, add about 6 bay leaves, chuck in a glass of sherry or wine so it emulsifies with the oil, season, turn down to a gentle heat, put lid on and simmer for 30-40 mins.

If you don't drink, you can still coook with wine, just make sure you cook it enough so the alcohol burns off, which doesn't take long. Get a bottle with a screw cap, and it should be ok for cooking for a while, if you can keep your flatmates off it.

Thank you so much, that's all really helpful. :D

RE: The bread issue, I've eaten less bread, potatoes & pasta recently, I feel better for it. I think as well it maybe isn't as easily digestible, I don't know. I struggle with digesting food well / quickly and I find if I eat lighter easily digestible foods, I feel loads better. I feel like bread, pasta and potatoes really bog me down and I feel sluggish for ages. That's another reason I want to cut them down / out.

Slice of bread. Slice of corned beef. Sprinkle grated cheese on top and season with black pepper. Pop under the grill until cheese melts. Delicious. (Yup its welsh rarebit with corned beef)
This is more like it. Bread - meat - dairy produce. :thumb:

Wash down with lots of beer and follow with a huge family block of Cadburys (not Kraft) Dairy Milk, and some strong coffee.

Excellent.

Frozen lobster?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I realize that we're talking about Lidl/Aldi here (sidenote: Aldi is opening a store a couple miles down the road from me), but any pretense of civilization that exists in the British Isles is null and void.

Frozen lobster?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I realize that we're talking about Lidl/Aldi here (sidenote: Aldi is opening a store a couple miles down the road from me), but any pretense of civilization that exists in the British Isles is null and void.

Nah, they're German. It's a problem of the spread of global capitalism.

How very uppity. I take it you never eat anything frozen? All line caught from the deck.

I refuse to eat seafood if I'm more than 20 miles inland. Woodman's FTW.

Sidenote: this photo

clambakes.jpg

is from one of my family's clambakes back in the day, here... though I see that the current owner of Tuppenny Tower has built some kind of gaudy monstrosity in the yard :(.

I believe you, but that is seriously my idea of hell on earth.

It is not as bad as it sounds plus then I can have a nice chinese* (replace with fave takeaway)

Spagetti aglio e olio - the simplest cheapest dish in the world

Cook your pasta, drain and keep a teeny amount of the pasta water.

Then in a pan add a real good glug of quality olive oil, then saute some finely chopped garlic and red chilli. (i also add chopped olives though this veers from the traditional recipe)

Throw the pasta and small amount of pasta water back in and toss (*stifles a childish snigger*)

serve with grated parmesan and black pepper

simples

Â