Do you read?

Luke_W

I have treated myself to a couple of books over the christmas period purely because I think I deserved them

51a3CP-vLpL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

417k919bAhL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

The batman files, a truely awesome book that looks great, it is £179 on amazon now because its been discontinued but I got my copy from Waterstones for £30 purely because the dust cover was knackered (the book looks ten times better without it)

Then I bought Guillermo Del Torro - Cabinet of Curiosities

51z8wt8PQKL._AA160_.jpg

With his movies - from blockbusters like Hellboy to the Oscar-winning Pans Labyrinth - comics, and novels, del Toro has proven himself to be a unique visionary. His creative crucible can be seen in his illustrated notebooks. Here these records of his creative process form the basis for a stunning illustrated book and insightful examination of the themes that haunt, electrify, and enrich his work.

And I am considering buying this

51L2wncUnZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Montague Rhodes James - M. R. James - was an English academic and provost of King's College and Eton. He started writing ghost stories to entertain his friends... one hundred and fifty years after his birth he is now revered as the father of the modern English ghost story.

This gorgeous hardback collection contains all thirty-five of M.R. James's highly acclaimed ghost stories, including the classics: 'Oh Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad' and 'Canon Alberic's Scrapbook'. As well as a foreword by Clark Ashton Smith and an extended Afterword by Stephen Jones the book is gloriously illustrated by award-winning artist Les Edwards, who has provided a frontispiece and a dozen full-page illustrations, as well as many small pictures throughout the text.

Like Gollancz's Black Books (Necronomicon and Conan), this is a wonderful book that should be part of every reader's personal library.

Its a lovely looking book but I have never read anything by M.R. James before so I have downloaded it on my Kindle for £2.50 so I can have a read of it before deciding if it is worth £30

• Like 1

I really enjoyed The Idiot by Dostoyevsky, but his short stories are quite different and can also be really unreal, The Crocodile and The Dream of a Ridiculous spring to mind. I have only read The Cloak by Gogol but really enjoyed it. I find some of the turns of phrase in these Victorian books absolutely hilarious, don't know if that's always intended or just a quirk of the times or what.

Yes, there are some interesting parts to it, but since I read it very slow, and there's so many russian names and nicknames in there, it's sometimes difficult to know who is the person in question. Or even if it's a man or woman.

I really enjoyed The Idiot by Dostoyevsky, but his short stories are quite different and can also be really unreal, The Crocodile and The Dream of a Ridiculous spring to mind. I have only read The Cloak by Gogol but really enjoyed it. I find some of the turns of phrase in these Victorian books absolutely hilarious, don't know if that's always intended or just a quirk of the times or what.

Yes, there are some interesting parts to it, but since I read it very slow, and there's so many russian names and nicknames in there, it's sometimes difficult to know who is the person in question. Or even if it's a man or woman.

I'm the same with the names in these Russian stories, don't know why they need about three different ones, I wondered if it might be easier if they just Anglicized them, but suppose that would take away from the authenticity. Some editions include a sort of roll call of the characters at the start of the book which helps out, another problem I have is not knowing how to pronounce the names as I'm reading.

Only a minor thing though and doesn't detract from my enjoying what I'm reading.

Edited by useless

When you say the Game of Thrones books, do you mean the entire A Song of Ice and Fire collection up until A Dance with Dragons? Because if you do then you'll be busy for a lot longer than a couple of months I'd say.

M. R. James' ghost stories are good - great fodder for BBC short films in the 60s & 70s (and a new one this year directed by Mark Gatiss - The Tractate Middoth). 

They do get a bit samey after a while though. 

That's what puts me off GOT I've never watched the series but I don't know if I can be bothered investing that much time into a complete series

That's what I thought. Like staring up at the highest of mountains from the bottom.

Was well worth it though.

I read an interview on The Wire website, with Burial where he mentions M.R James as one of the influences on his music, so that made me interested to read some of his stuff, not that I have yet though, but will do, if Mark Gatiss like him then that's encouraging.

When the last series ended. I tried reading some Game of Thrones but couldn't really get into it, obviously the authors got some imagination on him but it all seemed a bit flat to me, I've heard people mention that he sacrifices plot in order to create a good world, maybe that's it, but I don't like stuff like Lord of the Rings either so maybe I'm just an idiot.

Edited by useless

I like Lord of the Rings. 

I hate stuff like Lord of the Rings. 

couldn't have put it better myself moon man.

I would give GOT a go though purely because it is supposed to be totes amazeballs or whatever the kids say these days.

Another thing that puts me off it though is the hype, 2 of my mates read it and it completely consumed all conversation for months, I don't think I can be bothered with all that stuff

I don't like stuff like Lord of the Rings either so maybe I'm just an idiot.

I like Lord of the Rings. 

I hate stuff like Lord of the Rings. 

I wrote that a bit wrong it was meant to read I don't like Lord of the Rings either, as in don't worry I'm of questionable taste in the eyes of many. I'm not really into Fantasy Novels as it stands, at one time I refused to read fiction so I've improved.

Some genres start out with a one-off masterpiece that can only spawn ever worsening degrees of dross. 

This applies (in my massively humble opinion) to many things - fantasy fiction (LotR), heavy metal music (Led Zep), rap (Gil Scott Heron), etc. 

In these cases I'm happy to embrace the original, but I want no part of the crap that followed. 

• Like 1

Mrs bought me the game of throne books for Xmas, also treated myself to how to kill a mocking bird. Should keep me busy for a month or two

You dont need to bother reading that, a good rock will do you!

I bought these!

Dark+Tower+Omnibus+05.jpg

This is the Dark Tower omnibus (carpet not included) which collects the first five volumes of the Marvel comics Dark Tower series, plus extra bits. Unfortunately this will mean I'll have to buy the rest of the comics too, which aren't in this...

Similarly I bought

1173393.jpg

The Stand Omnibus, the Marvel comics version of the story, which does collect the whole series and the 'companion' pieces.

Edited by hogso
  • Like 3

I'm still on my way to the Dark Tower. I started reading Wolves of Calla before my OCD kicked in and I told myself I had to read Salem's Lot first, so that's what I'm doing. I'm aware I don't HAVE to read it just because Father Callaghan is in it, but I feel I should anyway.

Edited by Ginko

Â