Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Horrific start to the season. With some of the signings we've made the squad should be stronger in theory too. Not sure what the plan was with some of the signings though, we seem top heavy. It reminds me a little of when we signed Ings, Bailey and Buendia with no real idea how to get the best out of them. I wonder if it will be a the same outcome for Ward as it was for Smith. I've no idea who we could get though?

• Like 1

Well it was obvious we'd get battered today but that was especially grim. Real bad. 

Just got to hope this is the reset point now with that run of fixtures over and can start getting back to ourselves from last season in the upcoming weeks/months.  

Edited by Farlz

On 22/10/2023 at 14:47, useless said:

Fed up of seeing walls of text in my posts, so put in a spoiler

Hide contents

If it was the men's team the manager would not have just a few games to turn it around, and only those with lack of perspective would be calling for that manager to get the sack.

To look at the fact we've lost four games in a row and say she's in danger of losing her job is being simplistic and not looking at the bigger picture

If a manager of a men's team had last season got his team to their highest ever finish, the most ever points for a team finishing fifth, got further in a major competition than any other manager, the semi-final of an FA Cup, had got the team playing entertaining football, scoring the amount of goals that we did, our goalscoring was right up there with the top four, won multiple manager of the month awards, and nominated for manager of the year award, then that manager wouldn't be in danger of losing their job after four games at any sensible club, especially if two of those games came against two of the best teams in the league, not just two of the best teams in the, but two teams who are much better than everyone else, other than other two teams in the top two.

And Hanson and Dali missing would be the equivalent of a mens' team missing two of their top three players, and that affects our women's team more than it would most men's teams as we don't have as good backup players, the better squad players we have bought, are new to the club and still settling in

I hate to break it, but all that's really happened is that we've had two hughley disappointing results, that is the losses to Spurs and Liverpool, but frustrating and annoying as they were they're not going to mean Ward's job is in any danger, if you didn't know we would occassionally lose  games such as these at the start of the season then you were probably deluded as to how good we actually are, we will unfortunately sometimes get disappointing results against non top four teams, finishing fifth last season doesn't mean we're now going to beat every team that finished below that position.

Last season, our best ever season, early on we lost to in consecutive games to West Ham and Everton, if we'd have played Man Utd and Arsenal after those games, then it's highly likely we would have lost four games in a row then.

And I'm not ignoring the Man Utd and Arsenal defeats either, they're disappointing in of themselves, but those results won't have any bearing on Ward's future.

I'm pretty sure that come Christmas time, or probably before then, all this talk of Ward potentially losing her job will look ridiculous, it's going to take a run of very unlikely results for us to sack her, and if those results come to pass then she will have deserved the sack, but that scenario is so unlikely it's not worth thinking about, of course you can think about it, but you can say about any manager if this and that happens then the consequences will be this and that.

Carla Ward more likely to get manager of the month next for November than get the sack

Come again mate.

Edited by est1874

What’s going on with the women this year? Swear last year they were one of the better teams in the league? I’ve just seen on sky sports news they got smashed 6-0 was it by Chelsea? I don’t really keep up with them apart from seeing the scorelines so would be greatful if someone who is in the know can summarise what’s changed between last season and this one. I thought with daly there the team would be nearer the top. I know the GK moved on but the change can’t surely be down to one player?

16 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You sure?

If you ask me she needs sacked and probably will be soon! What a shambles.

Given how quickly they acted over Gerrard, I think 'soon' is exactly right, the ownership of this club aren't into umming and ahhing about stuff.

8 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

What’s going on with the women this year? Swear last year they were one of the better teams in the league? I’ve just seen on sky sports news they got smashed 6-0 was it by Chelsea? I don’t really keep up with them apart from seeing the scorelines so would be greatful if someone who is in the know can summarise what’s changed between last season and this one. I thought with daly there the team would be nearer the top. I know the GK moved on but the change can’t surely be down to one player?

It has been a tough start. No issue with losing last minute to Man. City as there were some poor ref decisions in second half. Losing away to Arsenal was disappointing but again very hard match. Chelsea are favourites to win league by a mile.

Losing to Liverpool and especially at home to Spurs, those are games you need to be winning to equal last year so that's the problem, can't take chances at key times and really poor defensively.

• Thanks 1

Useless, listening to Carla's interview, you seem more confident than her!

You can't fault her for facing up to the cameras for that interview. Big respect for those responses.

However, we are an absolute shambles. No progression. Tough start or not, we've conceded 16 goals. The defence do not seem to have a clue what they are doing. Basic, basic stuff being neglected. Not closing down players. Unmarked players on corners. Basic positional awareness lacking.That's coaching.

DvD has been hung out to dry. I feel incredibly sorry for her.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Villanbee said:

Useless, listening to Carla's interview, you seem more confident than her!

You can't fault her for facing up to the cameras for that interview. Big respect for those responses.

However, we are an absolute shambles. No progression. Tough start or not, we've conceded 16 goals. The defence do not seem to have a clue what they are doing. Basic, basic stuff being neglected. Not closing down players. Unmarked players on corners. Basic positional awareness lacking.That's coaching.

DvD has been hung out to dry. I feel incredibly sorry for her.

Protect the manager at all costs, Villanbee.

Obviously Chelsea is a very difficult fixture but losing 6-0 at home is just unacceptable. I'm also aware we've had a difficult start in general playing Arsenal and Man Utd too, but I have high standards for Aston Villa football club so the idea that losing them is fine or whatever just doesn't wash with me. Especially when last season we proved we could compete with these teams. There's the Tottenham and Liverpool defeats too and we finished comfortably above both last season. So already 9 points down on last season after 5 games.

I have no idea if Ward should go or who we could get that's better so I won't pretend I do. We have some kinder fixtures coming up now so you could argue Ward at least deserves those to try and turn things around but there's certainly a lot of pressure on to win them now.

We're pointless after 25% of the season, having conceded 16 goals in 5 games including a 6-0 home defeat, and the players are visibly out of ideas. The claim that the manager is 'currently . . . under no threat whatsoever' is not credible. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We're pointless after 25% of the season, having conceded 16 goals in 5 games including a 6-0 home defeat, and the players are visibly out of ideas. The claim that the manager is 'currently . . . under no threat whatsoever' is not credible. 

If anything, saying she is under no threat is ignorance of women’s football, football and AFC.

There's an "Evening with Carla Ward" at Villa Park on the 16th that was announced by Villa 2 days ago. Would be pretty bizarre of Villa if they were still scheduling events like this if she were at imminent risk of getting the sack.

No doubt about it that this month will be sink or swim for both her and Villa, though. Four more games this month: all of them are extremely winnable and all of them are must-wins, really. Dali back on the grass is huge.

Edited by wishywashy

Does anyone remember an interview with Carla over the last few weeks where she said something to the effect of she sees her job as more of a people management role as she has a coaching staff to take care of that side of things.

Hopefully my mind isn't playing tricks on me, so if I am right in my recollections, might I suggest that could be where the issue is. Because the coaching is clearly an issue.

Didn't we get a new first team coach (or something like that) over the close season?

'Ward's job currently will be under no threat whatsoever,' is what I actually said, if don't believe me watch what happens.

Of course if bad run continues then her job will come under threat and rightly so given the fixtures to come, but it's highly unlikely that we will be anywhere near as bad in those games, even allowing for the fact that they will now probably be tougher than they otherwise would have been because of lack of confidence, which is why I think the Sheffield United game in the week is now such an important game, need to get some confidence from that going into the Bristol City game.

Â