Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Just seen Carla Ward interview, was more positive than I was expecting as normally not shy in saying so when team hasn't played well, to the point of sometimes being overly harsh i feel, but made some good points, apparently we had a few players starting with knocks, and then the players that went off injured meant that Allen and Magill had to play a lot more than was expected of them, so was difficult circumstances for us today.

And of course the main thing is guaranteeing fifth place which is a brilliant achievement, and our 34 points would have got us fifth place in previous seasons too, so it's not as if we're only there because the standard for getting top five has been lower than usual.

Also says she's hopeful that Hanson can continue on with us, so her staying hasn't been ruled out, not yet at least.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Rachel Daly currently on 20 goals, with Bunny Shaw at Man City currently on 18 goals. It would be the icing on the cake if Rachel won the golden boot.

Further to my earlier post, Daly now has 21 goals for the season after today, with one further game to play. This really is some achievement when you think the most anyone has scored in a single season in the WSL is 22 goals.

Most goals in a season: 22 goals by Vivianne Miedema (2017-18 season) Arsenal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

As for Kirsty Hanson I doubt that Man Utd will be prepared to let her go, seven goals and nine assists, nominated for player of the season, even if they were prepared to let her go chances are that other 'top four' clubs would be interested.

If can't sign her I'm not too worried though, as we knew it was a loan to begin with and our recruitment has been excellent the last four transfer windows, so I think we will find a good alternative if it comes to that.

Have been very impressed with Katie Robinson of Brighton, she might be a good opton, in fact would be a good option even if Hanson remained, but signing her might be just as difficult as keeping Hanson as will likely have all the top teams interested.

they have big squad will she jump above what they have

Apparently we had a bunch of girls on trial from Leicester City academy because they're closing down some of their lower age group teams, now only catering for U21s and U16s, which is minimum requirement for category 1 academy in women's football, not really good from them but could benefit us, we've got teams for all age groups, 21s, 16s, 14, and below that too, we don't have an U18 team, but I think most of the 21s are eighteen or younger anyway.

Looking at FA website we already took Megan Shaw, Charlotte Lee, Olivia Lowe, and possibly others from their academy, we seem to be the dominant team in the midlands for that as have taken a lot from small heath, forest, and albion too, Leicester are the one team that you would think could provide some competition for the regions best talent being in the WSL, so a strange decsion from them to make cutbacks.

Have been very impressed with Ava Baker and goalkeeper Sophia Poor at U17 Euros, but don't think cutbacks will affect them, Baker already played for their first team.

Agree that the right-hand side is definitely the one part of the attack that could be quite easily strengthened. Not a disservice to Lehmann, mind you, but the surrounding players in attack (Hanson, Dali, Nobbs, Daly) are all pretty visibly a level or two above her. I really hope we keep Hanson, just really have to hope that United can't guarantee her a spot in their starting 11. I think she signed a new long-term contract just before joining us on loan, though, so I think they do highly value her: luckily it's not the end of the world if she goes.

As for that Leicester news, that really sucks for everyone involved. I know Leicester have clearly become a badly run club at all levels, but that's just farcical, especially when there's more than enough funding lying around to build a £100m training complex (but none to run a proper girls academy?)...

Edited by wishywashy

Yes a shame for those Leicester youngsters, apparently they were doing well as well competing against boys sides and beating other top academies, and no other teams in the area that they can go to, Forest will have an academy but not to the same level, even the ones offered a place with us are going to have to find a way to get to Bodymoor, so maybe not going to be possible for all of them, unless we have a 'satelite academy' in the east midlands, I think we do on the boys side so maybe the girls use that.

I notice a month or so back that we were advertising for host families for academy players on both the girls and boys side, so seems like definitley bringing in players from outside the region.

• Like 1

Rachel Daly wins players' player of the season and supporters' player of the season at end of season awards, Laura Blindkilde won young player of the season, and Jordan Nobbs goal of the season for long range strike against Brighton, I don't know if there are any awards left or not but Kenza Dali unlucky not win anything as has been sensational for us, she should have been shortlisted as one of the WSL players of the season.

Edited by useless
  • Thanks 1

Ruesha Littlejohn saying  here on her sister's youtube that she won't be a Villa player next season, she was a decent and reliable WSL level performer for us, I liked watching some of her vlogs as well as showed some interesting behind the scenes footage at Bodymoor and so on, should get a new club no problem.

• Like 1

Five players released now, three attackers, and two central midfielders, leaves us with just seventeen players in our squad, and two of those are on loan, and another three, Lehmann, Hampton, and Sargeant, coming to the end of their contracts.

I'm guessing we will offer Megan Shaw and Georgia Mullett professional deals, which if so and if they accept will boost numbers, but still, looks like it's going to be another busy summer.

8 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

A grand total of 3 players on the bench today. End of the season couldn't have come at a better time.

and one of them is our other goalkeeper. We’re really stretched to the limit. We’ll miss Kenza Dali today especially.

Â