Ballon d'Or

villalad21

25 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Was Modric even the best player for Croatia? Rakitic had a better tournament, imo.

Does anyone genuinely believe Modric was the best player in the world this year? 

Yes I think he deserved it

35 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Was Modric even the best player for Croatia? Rakitic had a better tournament, imo.

Does anyone genuinely believe Modric was the best player in the world this year? 

No he wasn't. Messi and Ronaldo were, as usual. But like I said above they have been so good for so long that people have started to discard them for this award.

And as others have said, the World Cup holds a lot of weight in this.

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

isnt journalists? or a collection of journos and international managers? i didnt think it was a FIFA panel thing

Yeah it's a vote (I think it's selected journalists, manager and players that vote).

Which is where I was coming from. People are so used to Ronaldo and Messi just being so amazing and racking up these ridiculous stats that they've started to be disregarded. People are numb to them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Btw Ronaldo won it one year because he got a hat trick vs Sweden and vote was that week 

Well yes Ronaldo scored a hat trick that week. He also is and has been one of the two best players in the world for the past 10+ years. I think he may have done more than score a hat trick in that week to be fair.

I genuinely think that not having messi or Ronaldo as ballon d’or winner makes a bit of a mockery of the whole thing. The numbers they are racking up are insane and if offered the chance to take any player in the world based on current ability it’s always going to be one of those two. Nobody is seriously turning down Ronaldo or Messi to take Modric.

Edited by tom_avfc
  • Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 09:17, Stevo985 said:

Messi got 60 goals and 24 assists in 70 games in 2018.

Plus a league and cup double and the European Golden Boot.

Ranked 5th :D 

Yes but he failed in the really big games in the champions league and World Cup. I think you can make a better case for Mo Salah

15 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes but he failed in the really big games in the champions league and World Cup. I think you can make a better case for Mo Salah

Cant think;of any case for Salah. Liverpool fans even admit was one season wonder and want him dropped for Shaqiri

On 06/12/2018 at 16:30, villa4europe said:

isnt journalists? or a collection of journos and international managers? i didnt think it was a FIFA panel thing

It's an indication of how money has changed the game. What started off as an award so a French magazine could have some content for their December issue which enabled their staff to have Christmas off (hence the 'calendar year' nature of the award) has mutated into this. It seems to be politically important at certain clubs to have the ballon d'Or winner on their books so there is a lot of lobbying and the player benefits too now individual sponsorship deals are so high. Throw in the fact that they turn the ceremony into a massive piss up for the journalists and you get people arguing that the ballon d'Or is more desirable than actual medals for winning actual tournaments. It's madness. 

Â