Sign in to follow this  
villalad21

Ballon d'Or

Recommended Posts

Modric wins it after years of Messi and Ronaldo dominance.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46432933

Ada Hegerberg first female to claim the price in the history of women football

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/dec/03/ballon-dor-ada-hegerberg-twerk-luka-modric

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Modric wins it after years of Messi and Ronaldo dominance.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46432933

Ada Hegerberg first female to claim the price in the history of women football

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/dec/03/ballon-dor-ada-hegerberg-twerk-luka-modric

And after her historic acceptance speech she is asked by the presenter, some French DJ called Martin Solveig, if she could twerk for him...

Edited by sne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sne said:

And after her historic acceptance speech she is asked by the presenter, some French DJ called Martin Solveig, if she could twerk for him...

from what i have read, everyone danced to frank sinatra when collecting their awards, and the DJ asked each one what their fave dance move is...therefore, putting it in context, it's not quite as bad as the media have made out...still not in great taste of course

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sne said:

And after her historic acceptance speech she is asked by the presenter, some French DJ called Martin Solveig, if she could twerk for him...

Football is still seen as a "boysclub" by many men.

I think the attitude towards the women's game will improve by time though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Football is still seen as a "boysclub" by many men.

I think the attitude towards the women's game will improve by time though.

I'm sure it will, and in this particular incident it was a non football guy who put his foot in his mouth.

Can't really blame FIFA/UEFA for this even thou I'm sure there are quite a few "grab em by the pussy" dinosaurs running those organizations. 

I've not followed how the discussion goes in other countries apart from a few articles (like when the Danish women team refused to play) but in Sweden the women national side take every opportunity to compare themselves for the men's side and Zlatan in particular to complain about how unfair everything is.

And while distribution of wealth may seem unfair they fail to grasp that women football (in Sweden at least) doesn't generate any money, at all. It's paid for by men's football generating money that is then distributed by the FA.

Equal pay for equal job is a good thing, but perhaps controversially I don't think it applies to football. Just like it doesn't apply to say music where U2 is always going to get more money than the guy who plays the accordion in the subway.

S'ry, might have gone a bit OT there... :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The football idiots are out today saying Modric doesnt deserve the award as they have never seen him dominate a game

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zatman said:

The football idiots are out today saying Modric doesnt deserve the award as they have never seen him dominate a game

He pretty much dominates every game he plays.

It's just that he isn't the one scoring the goals or making the flashy stuff.

People are idiots.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, sne said:

He pretty much dominates every game he plays.

It's just that he isn't the one scoring the goals or making the flashy stuff.

People are idiots.

Mbappe wins you games Modric wins you leagues

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s nothing to do with the differences between the men’s and women’s games in this instance. Just someone turning the proudest moment in a woman’s career into a joke about doing a sexy dance. She’s the best at what she does, it deserves respect.

Hegerberg’s reaction is great though. “Non.” Bye.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Zatman said:

The football idiots are out today saying Modric doesnt deserve the award as they have never seen him dominate a game

Let's be honest, Ronaldo and Messi have just gotten so good that they're now being overlooked for this.

If any other footballer in the world had had the year Messi has had then they'd have won it by a mile. That he was ranked 5th is a bit of a joke.

 

That being said, outside of those two, Modric is a worthy winner.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Let's be honest, Ronaldo and Messi have just gotten so good that they're now being overlooked for this.

If any other footballer in the world had had the year Messi has had then they'd have won it by a mile. That he was ranked 5th is a bit of a joke.

 

That being said, outside of those two, Modric is a worthy winner.

The World Cup holds a lot of weight in the award though. It’s no coincidence the two winners were the star players from each team from the final. 

It will be back to business as usual next year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sne said:

He pretty much dominates every game he plays.

It's just that he isn't the one scoring the goals or making the flashy stuff.

People are idiots.

It's the type of shit you see in the Grealish thread, it's infuriating. Makes me wonder if they even watch football.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Let's be honest, Ronaldo and Messi have just gotten so good that they're now being overlooked for this.

If any other footballer in the world had had the year Messi has had then they'd have won it by a mile. That he was ranked 5th is a bit of a joke.

 

That being said, outside of those two, Modric is a worthy winner.

Absolutely, Messi has been on another planet but you can't begrudge Modric winning it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Let's be honest, Ronaldo and Messi have just gotten so good that they're now being overlooked for this

I dont disagree but think Modric speech was impressive that an award Xavi or Iniesta should have won before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Mbappe wins you games Modric wins you leagues

Passes aren't sexy, goals are. As for defending or Goal keeping....barely worth a consideration. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Passes aren't sexy, goals are

if only someone was brilliant at both

DGp4snRUMAAB7iV.jpg

seriously messi's passing ability is arguably as good as modric

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you haven't seen a Modric goal from outside the box in your time watching football I don't know where you've been and are missing out on a thing of beauty.

Personally I'm absolutely chuffed it went to Modric. His efforts for Croatia were world class and he does the little things so well it makes the big picture take care of itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, A'Villan said:

If you haven't seen a Modric goal from outside the box in your time watching football I don't know where you've been and are missing out on a thing of beauty.

Personally I'm absolutely chuffed it went to Modric. His efforts for Croatia were world class and he does the little things so well it makes the big picture take care of itself.

True, though Messi scored from outside the box 6 games in a row last season which is outrageous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this