Parcel Delivery by Drone - Fantasy or Reality ?

hippo

Its all gone a bit quiet on this front. I know amazon were looking at it a while back 

Personally I would welcome it - Theres just to many luntics whizzing around it white vans - driving as though  they couldn't give a damm - to be fair from what I hear the rate per parcel is so low I suppose they are a victim of circumstance ...

So parcel drone delivery anytime soon ?

Seems to me that the drones could be just as big a danger to traffic and pedestrians as they descend to street level. Not to mention the likelihood of theft and vandalism by every passing scrote that spots one. 

Nah, ain't gonna happen (mind you, I said that about mobile phones...) 

in the UK its a gimmick, if anything we are heading more towards the wild west, delivery companies are seemingly letting anyone with a car and a bit of spare time to become a delivery driver, i get amazon stuff delivered on a sunday from a random guy in a fiesta, if he's willing to pick it up from the depot and drive it to me amazon seem happy to pay him, it'll end up like uber/deliveroo etc an absolute free for all, if they can deliver enough parcels an hour they will make it pay

however in the states or australia where delivering 1 parcel can take 2-3 hours and they cant make it pay then yes i can see it happening

in cities, towns, any kind of built up area they simply dont need to because they can keep it economical

14 months ago I spent a couple of days at our drone research facility in France. We operate a licence for a delivery route which is performed by drone and crosses a motorway. We have to get up to passenger aircraft safety levels before we'll be able to fly in built up areas. There is much work to do in formulating how drones will interact in proximity and we'll need agreed systems like TCAS.

Drones for deliveries will happen, but it will be to increasingly local drop off points, not your back garden. It's likely room be used to remove the need for road vehicles as cities become increasingly hostile to them.

And don't ask as I can't name names. Happy to discuss anonymously in this thread though.

2 hours ago, limpid said:

We have to get up to passenger aircraft safety levels before we'll be able to fly in built up areas. There is much work to do in formulating how drones will interact in proximity and we'll need agreed systems like TCAS.

It's miles away, still (other than for development testing, at the moment). 

See this etc. from nearly 4 years ago. It still applies.

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's miles away, still (other than for development testing, at the moment). 

See this etc. from nearly 4 years ago. It still applies.

Except that we now operate a commercial route, autonomously, using drones. In France.

36 minutes ago, limpid said:

Except that we now operate a commercial route, autonomously, using drones. In France.

That comment was specific for the UK. 

In the UK they won't....

I'm aware of the different situation in France. Anyway, 'nuff talk about work.

• Like 1

Â