Technical Team/Player Recruitment/Scouts

Villan4Life

17 hours ago, villaglint said:

To be fair if our scouting team weren't able to identify a talented up and coming CB that we could actually sign in the transfer window then they blooming well deserve sacking. 

Plenty of good ones in Europe or even in League 1 and 2. I’ve seen plenty in lower leagues on my weekly travels to various grounds.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-re-13279346

The winds of change are sweeping through Villa Park, leaving just one major question hanging.

Have they blown themselves out, or is a further gale on its way?

The latest signs that a major upheaval is taking place concerns the re-shaping of the recruitment department.

Seven members of staff, including head of European operations Ian Atkins, have been churned up and tossed out

Since the takeover by new owners Nassef Sawaris and Wes Edens the pace has been brutal.

Former chief executive Keith Wyness and director of football Steve Round were axed prior to the sale by Tony Xia.

However, behind-the-scenes, several scouts had been culled. And now this. 

A new head honcho – ex-Liverpool managing director Christian Purslow – and now a sporting director is on his way.

There are a few names are in the frame for the job vacated by Round.

Purslow is understood to favour Leicester City's Eduardo Macia – the pair have a relationship dating back to the time they spent together at Anfield. 

But super-agent Jorge Mendes also has forwarded candidates for the position and no decision has yet been communicated.

Which leaves a sub-plot as to who made the decision to re-organise the recruitment department?

Was it the manager, Steve Bruce? Or Purslow? The owners? Mendes? 

Certainly it would seem strange if the club's boss had taken the decision to dispense with colleagues he had worked with for a couple of years.

On the face of it, there's no need for him to take any action.

And it certainly does appear bizarre, most obviously in Atkins' case, a well-travelled and respected figure on the European scene who has collected over a decade of experience and contacts, most notably with Everton.

Why throw out that knowledge, particularly given the prospect of a close liaison with Portuguese middle-men who have access to some of the continent's top players?

At this juncture, it is worth pointing out too that most of Bruce's signings have been domestic. Birkir Bjarnason can count himself unfortunate not to have started more matches under Villa's boss.

Anwar El Ghazi, signed from Lille, has made a bright start.

Atkins appears a scapegoat for somebody.

What is also interesting is how the decision has been reached.

For instance, how would Purslow, installed in the position only late last month, know the good, bad and indifferent in Villa's recruitment team, particularly as the last window has only just closed?

The intrigue thickens still further given the identity of the new sporting director.

If one of Mendes's candidates is not appointed, how will that work, given the fact that the owners are known to favour the kind of approach that has seen Wolves prosper in the past 12 months?

All of which leaves Bruce, as the figurehead, wondering what might be around the corner.

The owner who rubber-stamped his appointment has been replaced. The chief executive who made the recommendation has left. The sporting director who initially made the approach to the Geordie has been relieved of his duties.

Now, the recruitment team – presumably the one who helped him during the window last month – has also been dismantled.

The manager cuts an increasingly isolated figure, with only his coaching staff providing any real support.

The 57-year-old is experienced enough to know that new owners normally bring in their own people. Including the main man.

1x1.png

Yes, the winds of change have been sweeping through Villa Park, all right and whether they have blown themselves out really depends on results.

But then, that's really not telling Bruce anything he doesn't already know – although his margin for error now appears smaller than it has ever been.

Edited by Villan4Life

17 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

This can only be seen as good news.

Looks like the egg timer for Bruce is running out.  :D

Because of Mendes influence in article I reckon we are listening I think our next coach/manager may be either: Paulo Fonseca or Andre Villas-Boas both are his clients 

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

Bruce throwing them under the bus as he has done on occasions with the players to defend his position?

I would find it very alarming if Bruce has the power to hire and fire scouting staff without reference to the CEO, board or owners, which is what this speculation implies. Let’s get in some new owners and a new CEO who can get a grip of the club and  wrest power away from the evil manager!

Or maybe this is just yet another example of the Villatalk obsession that everything that happens in the club is down to Steve Bruce?

41 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I would find it very alarming if Bruce has the power to hire and fire scouting staff without reference to the CEO, board or owners, which is what this speculation implies. Let’s get in some new owners and a new CEO who can get a grip of the club and  wrest power away from the evil manager!

Or maybe this is just yet another example of the Villatalk obsession that everything that happens in the club is down to Steve Bruce?

I agree with the last part especially there is enough to criticise Bruce for without creating something which isn’t there. It’s an easy trap to fall into. I would hypothesise this was always on the agenda and Bruce would been asked for his feedback but ultimately this would have come from above him. Especially as my personal take on it is the owners are putting in place a structure for a new manager to work with moving forward rather than appoint someone with that side of the rebuilding job not underway or complete. 

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

I agree with the last part especially there is enough to criticise Bruce for without creating something which isn’t there. It’s an easy trap to fall into. I would hypothesise this was always on the agenda and Bruce would been asked for his feedback but ultimately this would have come from above him. Especially as my personal take on it is the owners are putting in place a structure for a new manager to work with moving forward rather than appoint someone with that side of the rebuilding job not underway or complete. 

Hope very much this is what is happening. We’re only about 10-15 years behind most top clubs in creating such a structure and from my perspective that is the main priority for the club at present. Appointing a new manager into the present shambles would just cost us more money and lead to more failure.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I wouldn't read too much into it as the whole lot will be gone eventually anyway, including Bruce and his merry men.

The NasWes revolution has begun.

4 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Because of Mendes influence in article I reckon we are listening I think our next coach/manager may be either: Paulo Fonseca or Andre Villas-Boas both are his clients 

Paulo Fonseca would be awesome but I cannot see him leaving Champions League Shaktar Donetsk for Championship Aston Villa unfortunately.  :(

Whoever it is will have a completely whole new build from top to bottom staff/personnel wise, and eventually a whole new team bar one or two players imo.

It will obviously be viewed as a long term appointment with the view the new manager stays with us after taking us from this league etc. up to the Premier League and further.

My suggestion is veering towards Wenger/Henry?

Visions for young talent, a super agent that provides that in abundance, Henry being good with bonding and motivational skills with players etc. And experience of Wenger above.

I am thinking of the Arsenal revolution that happened under the Wenger years.

Lately Wenger has stated about wanting a new challenge, Henry is sitting with Belgium waiting patiently...

I wonder...    ?

Edited by AvfcRigo82

57 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Hope very much this is what is happening. We’re only about 10-15 years behind most top clubs in creating such a structure and from my perspective that is the main priority for the club at present. Appointing a new manager into the present shambles would just cost us more money and lead to more failure.

Being set up for 21st century football is definitely a good start.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I was commenting on the article which suggested Atkins was a scapegoat for somebody.

Not sure who else he would be inferring. Round, etc. , are all gone.

I read in one of the original articles that there had been a problem between Bruce and the scouts about bringing in foreign players.

Nor did I imply that Bruce has the power to sack scouting staff without reference to the owners, etc. That is just making things up.

But he was present at the meeting where they were sacked, so it is entirely possible that Bruce could have been involved in that decision.

49 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I was commenting on the article which suggested Atkins was a scapegoat for somebody.

Not sure who else he would be inferring. Round, etc. , are all gone.

I read in one of the original articles that there had been a problem between Bruce and the scouts about bringing in foreign players.

Nor did I imply that Bruce has the power to sack scouting staff without reference to the owners, etc. That is just making things up.

But he was present at the meeting where they were sacked, so it is entirely possible that Bruce could have been involved in that decision.

I find that answer stragely unconvincing.

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I wouldn't read too much into it as the whole lot will be gone eventually anyway, including Bruce and his merry men.

The NasWes revolution has begun.

Just out of interest, would you like to explain who is included under the heading Bruce’s “merry men”?

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Just out of interest, would you like to explain who is included under the heading Bruce’s “merry men”?

Sure.

Gary Walsh, Colin Calderwood, Steve Agnew and the rest of his back room team.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

40 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Sure.

Gary Walsh, Colin Calderwood, Steve Agnew and the rest of his back room team.

I’m surprised to see Steve Agnew on your hit list. Not so long ago he was lionised by people who wanted Bruce sacked.

Anyway, this at least gives us a measurable list by which to assess the accuracy of your prediction.

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

I’m surprised to see Steve Agnew on your hit list. Not so long ago he was lionised by people who wanted Bruce sacked.

Anyway, this at least gives us a measurable list by which to assess the accuracy of your prediction.

Why are you suprised? It's nothing personal with any of them nor nothing to do with any idolisation, but I can't see all of them eventually leaving along with or soon after Bruce goes yet the sole survivor Agnew would remain?  Highly unlikely in my book.

But when that day comes I will wish them all the best in their pastures new.

13 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Why are you suprised? It's nothing personal with any of them nor nothing to do with any idolisation, but I can't see all of them eventually leaving along with or soon after Bruce goes yet the sole survivor Agnew would remain?  Highly unlikely in my book.

But when that day comes I will wish them all the best in their pastures new.

I agree, either the coaching team (including Agnew) are at fault for not coaching properly, or Bruce is at fault for not letting them coach the way they want to. In either case, they are no use to us so should go.

Edited by TheStagMan

Â