Technical Team/Player Recruitment/Scouts

Villan4Life

18 hours ago, sne said:

Any idea if we are on hand scouting the U-20 WC in Poland?

I would hope not, its so hit and miss this tournament and most of the hits are usually already at big clubs. 

Siegrist won the best keeper one year, Adiyah was top scorer and a flop

Just now, Zatman said:

I would hope not, its so hit and miss this tournament and most of the hits are usually already at big clubs. 

Siegrist won the best keeper one year, Adiyah was top scorer and a flop

So Championship experience only then, tried and tested who can do it on a cold night in Stoke. ;)

Isn't the whole point of having scouts that they should be able to spot talent and not fall for the guy who plays a blinder and scores 3 against Thailand.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sne said:

So Championship experience only then, tried and tested who can do it on a cold night in Stoke. ;)

Isn't the whole point of having scouts that they should be able to spot talent and not fall for the guy who plays a blinder and scores 3 against Thailand.

Maybe but signing players based of a tournament is as lazy as you get and revipe for failure 

How else did we get Salifou 😉

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Maybe but signing players based of a tournament is as lazy as you get and revipe for failure 

How else did we get Salifou 😉

Yeah, I'd hope we go a bit deeper than just picking the MOTM and throw a boatload of money at his agent.

• 2 weeks later...

didn't our old chief scout under MON say something about the Toulon tournament being the number 1 scouting place to be? sure at the same time as MON said something along the lines of if you don't know who they are by the time you get to a WC its too late you haven't done your job properly 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

didn't our old chief scout under MON say something about the Toulon tournament being the number 1 scouting place to be? sure at the same time as MON said something along the lines of if you don't know who they are by the time you get to a WC its too late you haven't done your job properly 

lol...   A lot of good that did us with the kind of players we signed under MON.

It would appear, according to this Marca interview with Juanfran, that he has been scouting Iberia for Aston Villa for the past 6 months (which would align roughly with when Suso recruited Monterrubio too).

The article is mostly about his views on the Celta Vigo player Maxi Gomez (not regarding a link to us). However this is a Google Translated snippet discussing Aston Villa:

Its position allows you to watch a lot of football: "I've seen every weekend live a minimum of three games in Spain or Portugal. Normally there are four or five, plus I see on TV But the first thing was to know Aston Villa . Their model, style of play, history. You can hardly advise players to a club if you do not know in depth. "

• Like 1

Â