UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

I wonder what this announcement is going to be that will blow our minds at WEC 46 tonight??? Probably be a major let down... Whenever Dana says he has a big announcement it always ends up being a let down..

More than likely be announcing Vera v Jones on versus.. Yet we all know thats gonna happen anyway...

Anyone know what the announcement was?

I read in Fighters Only that total UFC box office sales beat Boxing box office sales last year for the first time ever. I think we can realistically begin to claim that MMA is bigger than boxing. I would love to see a few boxers in their prime ply their trade in the octagon, it would be a fantastic spectacle.

Haye reckons he's gonna move across once he's fought the rest of the Euro-giants. He supposedly has trained karate with his dad and does a bit of casual jiujitsu.

As for which is bigger, I'd still say boxing is quite comfortably but the stubborn old generation of boxing fans are starting to die out. :lol: Also, Pacman and Moneyweather's refusal to fight the fight that would really revitalise boxing isn't exactly helping matters on that side of the fence.

Well the one thing you can say about UFC is that there aint much fight dodging. You have to beat some hard dudes on your road to becoming a champion. I'm not sure how it works in other MMA organisations, but I suspect it's similar.

Perhaps boxing is still considered the more mainstream sport with more casual fans (I count myself in this category), but the niche fans of MMA are putting their money where their mouths are.

• 4 weeks later...

UFC 109 Grandads!

On saturday

Maia - Miller should be good, as well as Swick - Thiago. Main event will be a hugfest! Strange to see a Gracie on the undercard. Hopefully he'll be shown.

Main Card

* Light Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs. Mark Coleman

* Middleweight bout: Nate Marquardt vs. Chael Sonnen

* Welterweight bout: Mike Swick vs. Paulo Thiago

* Middleweight bout: Demian Maia vs. Dan Miller

* Welterweight bout: Matt Serra vs. Frank Trigg

Preliminary Card (Spike TV)

* Lightweight bout: Mac Danzig vs. Justin Buchholz

* Lightweight bout: Melvin Guillard vs. Ronnys Torres

Preliminary Card

* Lightweight bout: Phillipe Nover vs. Rob Emerson

* Light Heavyweight bout: Brian Stann vs. Phil Davis

* Heavyweight bout: Tim Hague vs. Chris Tuchscherer

* Heavyweight bout: Rolles Gracie vs. Joey Beltran

I think Randy will win a decision against Coleman. Randys cardio is far superior to Colemans so unless Coleman can finish this fight early i see Randy using his dirty boxing to gain a win

I cant see anything other than a Mardquardt victory in his fight. Chael Sonnen doesnt really stand a chance.. Nate via tko in the first.

Demian Maia to win via submission in the first round.

Swick v Thiago is too close to call, although im swaying towards Thiago..

Serra to beat Trigg via tko.

**spoilers**

Was that really the same Coleman that beat up Bonnar?? It was the same gassing slow Colman I remember from the Rua fight. Randy toyed with him.

And the surprise of the night, Sonnen! Total domination over Mardquardt, even though he got a nasty cut and almost passed out in the guillotine. Sonnen vs Silva/Belfort it is!

Maia never got his hands on Miller and it got boring as both are below par strikers.

Swick passed out :lol: Thiagos Darce choke was nice. 2-1 over the AKA boys now.

Serra with a fairly predictable ko. Trigg is finished.

And Rolles Gracie....what an absolute waste of space. Get rid!

I didn't realise Mariusz Pudzianowski is in MMA. Seemingly the 5 times worlds strongest man made his debut in December and won in 43 seconds against another newcomer. I'd be interested to see him fighting. He's a beast.

Maia has a chance on the ground, if he can get the fight there.

That's the real trick though. I just see him getting Forrest'ed well before he can get his hands on Silva. And his take-downs are weak as well. IF it gets to the ground though, it will be a hell of a match-up!

110 *spoilers*

ok, I had my doubts about Velasquez ability against the big boys, but **** me! That was no joke he put on Big Nog! I'm now officially on the Cain bandwagon!

Bisping did good, would have been quite close but the knockdown sealed it. Wanderlei at 185 looks tasty.

I was a Sotiropoulos fan before this, even more now. Sick groundgame, Stevenson never got to him, and Stevenson is good, very good.

Bader is coming along nicely, Jardine is finished.

Crocop, meh, kicked a can to pieces.

Lytle, entertaining as always, beautiful kneebar. Like him alot. Getting on a bit though, shame.

Â