Your Villa World Cup All Time XI

maqroll

Nice thread @maqroll :thumb:

Going for Peter Schmeichel in goal in a 442 type thing.

Ulises de la Cruz mainly because I cant think of any other right backs with World Cup appearances.

Olaf Mellberg, well I normally go for Laursen with this sort of thing and I just wanted to mix it up a bit. Also be a great foil for God I always thought.

Paul McGrath (No explanation)

Tony Dorigo as I cant think of another left back who played a world cup game that's played for us

Ray Houghton down the right, banging in that goal against Italy at USA '94 and all that

James Milner in the middle

David Platt coz Italia '90

Gareth Barry as he can play down the left

Luc Nilis because he was simply an amazing player.

Dwight Yorke coz he loved us once

Only real choices I had were in goal and at centre back. Mind you the memory's not what it used to be.

50 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Ulises de la Cruz mainly because I cant think of any other right backs with World Cup appearances.

Olaf Mellberg, well I normally go for Laursen with this sort of thing and I just wanted to mix it up a bit. Also be a great foil for God I always thought.

Paul McGrath (No explanation)

Mellberg at RB and Laursen with God in the center?

• Like 1

Not a huge amount of choice is there?

Southgate or Allan Evans could play also alongside McGrath.

Obvious choice for left back is Steve Staunton.

Hard to overlook a dream front pairing of Heskey and Vassell.

How about? 

Peter Schmeichel, Olof Mellberg, John Terry, Paul McGrath, Steve Staunton, Bruce Rioch, Danny Blanchflower, David Platt, Peter McParland, Robbie Keane, Gerry Hitchens. Subs: Brad Freidel, Martin Keown, Paul Merson, Ray Houghton, Steve McMahon, Robert Pires, Savo Milosevic.

Edited by John
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, John said:

How about? 

Peter Schmeichel, Olof Mellberg, John Terry, Paul McGrath, Steve Staunton, Bruce Rioch, Danny Blanchflower, David Platt, Peter McParland, Robbie Keane, Gerry Hitchens. Subs: Brad Freidel, Martin Keown, Paul Merson, Ray Houghton, Steve McMahon, Robert Pires, Savo Milosevic.

Not bad, but aren't you allowed 12 subs at the WC?

• Haha 1

---------------------------Friedel---------------------------

---------Mellberg---Laursen--McGrath-----------

Houghton-----Platt--------Barry------------Young

---------------Merson-----------Milner------------------

---------------------------Yorke------------------------------

• Like 2

Friedel

Mellberg---McGrath---Evans

Milner

Platt------------------Townsend

Houghton

Withe---McParland---Yorke

Special mentions for Alpay and of course King of the back pass Steve Hodge (Not only for Norwich's Poole but also the infamous slice for Maradonna's Hand of God)

And even more special mentions for Morley, Mortimer, Cowans, and Shaw. Those that should have been but weren't

16 hours ago, John said:

How about? 

Clutching at straws with some of those, eg Schmeichel, Terry & Pires - yes they played for us as old men but not whilst they were at a world cup

21 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Allan Evans could play also alongside McGrath.

Obvious choice for left back is Steve Staunton.

Stan! Doh. And I had Houghton in there aswell. Good shout.

On Evans - did he actually play at the World Cup or was he just part of the squad? Noticed him in a few people's choices

21 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

Mellberg at RB and Laursen with God in the center?

Yeah but how hipster is Ulises de la Cruz ?

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

Clutching at straws with some of those, eg Schmeichel, Terry & Pires - yes they played for us as old men but not whilst they were at a world cup

Clue is in the OP I think @Junxs

On 30/05/2018 at 00:26, maqroll said:

Let's see your all time XI Villa players who have played in the World Cup. 

16 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

---------------------------Friedel---------------------------

---------Mellberg---Laursen--McGrath-----------

Houghton-----Platt--------Barry------------Young

---------------Merson-----------Milner------------------

---------------------------Yorke------------------------------

Has he played at a World Cup yet?

54 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

On Evans - did he actually play at the World Cup or was he just part of the squad? Noticed him in a few people's choices

Yep, played against NZ in the 82 World Cup :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Junxs said:

Maybe so but very few football clubs could find so many players who have played even once for them and also played for their country at the World Cup finals try doing the same with a Small Heath team for example. They would struggle to field a five a side team where we have selection choices to make.;)

Â