Mount Kilauea

maqroll

There have been some spectacular images of this erupting volcano. It doesn't look like it wants to slow down anytime soon, either-

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Still going. They've gained about 250 acres of new coastline so far! Although it has poured into a coral reef and destroyed that. Breeding ground for turtles and the like. I'm not sure if any of you have been following this or if it's been discussed in another thread but it's been absolutely stunning imo. And it is not slowing down at the moment. Over 20 fissures have appeared. The crater at Kilauea itself is collapsing into itself. Fissure 8 is looking more and more like a new volcano every day.

• Like 2

It also evaporated Hawai'i's largest freshwater lake in under 2 hours.

an entire lake’s worth of water had been completely vaporised by this invasion of lava.

Boiling away a lake with lava, by the way, isn’t as easy as you think. It requires a boatload of energy, because water has an extremely high heat capacity. This means it requires a lot of energy per unit of water to increase its temperature by a single degree, compared to other substances.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, villakram said:

Love how they've some roadways on the freshly cooled lava already... no beating us humans!

You don't fool me.

alien.jpeg.2b44631fe491c97dfb5ee1d96b33f

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lava Whirlwinds out there today.

Not as spectacular as they sound maybe but basically the wind getting up and picking up molten Lava and splattering it about a bit!

Me and MrsVM have been a bit captivated by this and we took a trip up Mt Vesuvius last week as a result. Blooming stunning. I never knew that place went off in 1944! The lava flows are still visible on the side of the mountain from that one. We spied 4 bits (and smelled 2 of them!) of sulphurous steam coming out still. All rather ominous.

YAY Volcano basically!

(What the hell is happening to me? Enjoying a stadium gig, gardening and a sharp increase in desire to be learning about rock formation!)

Reminds me of an old cartoon strip I cant find anywhere called How to play Bowls. It went, buy a pipe, have your brain removed, play Bowls. :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Lava Whirlwinds out there today.

Not as spectacular as they sound maybe but basically the wind getting up and picking up molten Lava and splattering it about a bit!

Me and MrsVM have been a bit captivated by this and we took a trip up Mt Vesuvius last week as a result. Blooming stunning. I never knew that place went off in 1944! The lava flows are still visible on the side of the mountain from that one. We spied 4 bits (and smelled 2 of them!) of sulphurous steam coming out still. All rather ominous.

YAY Volcano basically!

(What the hell is happening to me? Enjoying a stadium gig, gardening and a sharp increase in desire to be learning about rock formation!)

Reminds me of an old cartoon strip I cant find anywhere called How to play Bowls. It went, buy a pipe, have your brain removed, play Bowls. :D

Geology rocks. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So after getting on for 3 months it looks like it might finally be slowing down. Could always be a lul but been quieter for a few days now.

What began as 'fissure 8' has got a clear cone around it and the islanders are wanting to name it :)

• Like 1

Â