How many league goals can Gabby hit this season  

138 members have voted

1. 1. How many league goals can Gabby hit this season

• 6-10
    • 19-20
    • 15-18
    • 11-14

This poll is closed to new votes

For almost as long as I can remember the talk has been about Villa needing a 20 goal a season striker. Well seeing as these seem to be rarely than rocking horse shit we have kind of muddled through without one but now we may, just may have one in our midst. Step forward Gabby.

Now here is my logic. Last season Gabby notched the following;

League 37 games 9 goals

FA Cup 1 game 0 goals

League Cup 3 games 1 goal

Yet this season Gabby has the following record;

League 13 games 6 goals

League Cup 2 games 0 goals

So even if he maintains his current goals to games ratio that would put him at around 18 goals and thats without taking into account the increase in his ratio since moving upfront from playing out wide.

So what do you think, how many goals can Gabby hit this season and could he be our 20 goal man?

• Like 1

Absolutely, if we have one striker who can hit those numbers it's Gabby. My faith in LM is slipping tbh and we know Carew will never be prolific. Marlon well, less said about that the better.

So Gabby, 18-20 this season, 20+ next season I reckon.

• Haha 1

This season - about 15 I say. But there's nothing to say he can't be a 20+ goal striker in a season or two.

Little bit more experience, little bit more composure, just make him that little bit more clinical and he can be prolific.

Confidence certainly isn't an issue at the moment, and he needs to keep that confidence high.

His first real big test will be when he slips out of form a bit, which is inevitable, happens with all strikers. If he can keep positive during dry spells and refind form again then he'll be all the wiser for it.

He has the physical attributes to be a striker of real class - but his mental attributes are yet to really be tested.

The 20 goal striker doesn't really exist anymore does it? Well not just in the premier league

I'm not so sure..

Anelka and Benjani are well on the way this season. Adebeyor, Drogba and Torres are certainly capable of that aswell.

I think Benjani is the leading scorer and he has scored 8 goals so far in their 14 games.

So on his current form, if he can keep it going he on course for 22-23 goals.

Although, the African Cup of Nations will slow him down.

This season - about 15 I say. But there's nothing to say he can't be a 20+ goal striker in a season or two.

Little bit more experience, little bit more composure, just make him that little bit more clinical and he can be prolific.

Confidence certainly isn't an issue at the moment, and he needs to keep that confidence high.

His first real big test will be when he slips out of form a bit, which is inevitable, happens with all strikers. If he can keep positive during dry spells and refind form again then he'll be all the wiser for it.

He has the physical attributes to be a striker of real class - but his mental attributes are yet to really be tested.

Not sure about this - he had a bit of a dodgy spell last season and came through it. Perhaps his mental attributes are such that he doesn't get bothered by things like missing chances the way other people do. Whenever Gabby misses a chance he has a look about him that just says "I'll get another one" as with Luke for example drops his head.

Just a thought.

I can see him bagging his first professional hat-trick this season. Wigan at home, or Derby away. He could have had one at Boro quite easily.

If he stays injury free, he will definately get more than 15.

I agree with rocafella, 15 goals in the league would be a superb effort. That would mean scoring 9 in the next 25 games which I would near enough expect him to do with the form he is in. Then again, football is a difficult thing to predict due to so many different circumstances

The most impressive thing about Gabbys goal return is he isn't patchy. He doesn't score a hatrick and then dissapear for a month.

He has scored 6 goals in 6 separate games which suggests real consistency to me . I think we can safely say that he isn't just promising any more. Now if we can turn these games where he scores once into games where he scores twice then we will have a serious talent on our hands. My feeling is he will do it as the improvement over last year is plain to see already. His ability in the air has improved, his ability to hold off defenders has improved, his technical ability has improved. I expected him to be a marked man this season as defenders know all about him now. The fact that they know all about him but still can't do anything about it is testament to his improvement.