General Election 2017

ender4

20 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Oh my, is that 3 prime ministers in pictures in front of two British battalions and one driving a British tank? Forces which they command as the PM? APPALLING!!! Someone should do something!

If you really can't understand the thinking behind these staged and manipulative photo-opportunities, then I'm afraid it would evidently take longer to explain than is likely to be available.  You'll have to try to work it out.

11 minutes ago, av1 said:

I've always voted labour, but i simply cannot bring myself to vote for a party run by Corbyn and Abbott. 

Its saddens me that i have no option but to not vote at all, given that all 3 major parties are all as incompetent as each other. 

Why? I'm energised by Corbyn. Abbott seems a bit hapless but she can't be any worse than Rudd as HS.

6 minutes ago, colhint said:

I'm wondering why you think it's a bad idea for the PM to go and show support for our troops in time of conflict

If they actually wanted to show support for the troops, rather than secure some fleeting political advantage for themselves, then they could do several things like conducting foreign policy in a way less likely to draw us into conflicts which will kill those troops; equip them better so they were less likely to be killed or injured; and so on.

Let's face it, these photos are not at all about the troops, and all about political opportunism.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, darrenm said:

Why? I'm energised by Corbyn. Abbott seems a bit hapless but she can't be any worse than Rudd as HS.

Corbyn just makes my blood boil to be honest. His ties to terrorist organisations, the way he surrounds himself with sycophants, i can't see one redeeming feature. And Abbott is just a complete tool. 

7 minutes ago, peterms said:

If they actually wanted to show support for the troops, rather than secure some fleeting political advantage for themselves, then they could do several things like conducting foreign policy in a way less likely to draw us into conflicts which will kill those troops; equip them better so they were less likely to be killed or injured; and so on.

Let's face it, these photos are not at all about the troops, and all about political opportunism.

In your mind where conflicts could end quickly most of the soldiers in the pictures wouldn't have a job as a soldier. It's clear from your comments and your views that you don't support these men. In fact, one of the most cherished memories that my late grandfather had was when Churchill came to talk to his RAF squadron, so please try to see other people's viewpoints before rubbishing them with your very red agenda. You are arguing against the whole spectrum now, not just Tories.

Apart from the Falkland's war there hasn't been a conflict that ended quickly since some of the silly wars in the 1800's. There is no such thing as a modern, short term conflict.

Edited by magnkarl

8 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Since the campaign has started Corbyn has done a very good job IMO, Abbott on the other hand is among the very biggest idiots in politics, and that is in itself a fairly difficult achievement. Corbyn really has shot himself in the foot by putting her in a potential position of prominence, she should not be anywhere near politics. 

• Like 1

True story.

I was in Tesco on New Street last week and the women that served me was the spitting image of Diane Abbott, so much so that i looked around for cameras, i thought it might actually be her on some PR exercise. 

Then i noticed the lady had given me the correct change and realised it wasn't her. 

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Since the campaign has started Corbyn has done a very good job IMO, Abbott on the other hand is among the very biggest idiots in politics, and that is in itself a fairly difficult achievement. Corbyn really has shot himself in the foot by putting her in a potential position of prominence, she should not be anywhere near politics. 

I agree with much of this. Except for Corbyn's iffy bits on IRA he's been solid. Abbott on the other hand keeps ruining the momentum that her leader is gaining by contradicting his claims. How she survived the purges of the Labour party is beyond me, but I guess it shows the weakness Corbyn has to removing people who have the same views as him even if they are incompetent. 

9 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

In your mind where conflicts could end quickly most of the soldiers in the pictures wouldn't have a job as a soldier. It's clear from your comments and your views that you don't support these men. In fact, one of the most cherished memories that my late grandfather had was when Churchill came to talk to his RAF squadron, so please try to see other people's viewpoints before rubbishing them with your very red agenda. You are arguing against the whole spectrum now, not just Tories.

Apart from the Falkland's war there hasn't been a conflict that ended quickly since some of the silly wars in the 1800's. There is no such thing as a modern, short term conflict.

Reading and comprehension, 0/10.

Projection, 10/10.

1 hour ago, peterms said:

He's lying about having supported a united Ireland?  Could you point me towards where you're getting that, please?

Corbyn on TVs on Friday "I never met the IRA". Everyone with access to archive photos "um, here's lots of pictures of corbyn meeting the IRA"

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Corbyn on TVs on Friday "I never met the IRA". Everyone with access to archive photos "um, here's lots of pictures of corbyn meeting the IRA"

I've already answered this, above.

The last bit to this video is astonishing. Pretending to have a bad line and then putting the phone down to avoid condemning the IRA.

22 minutes ago, av1 said:

True story.

I was in Tesco on New Street last week and the women that served me was the spitting image of Diane Abbott, so much so that i looked around for cameras, i thought it might actually be her on some PR exercise. 

Then i noticed the lady had given me the correct change and realised it wasn't her. 

Was she wearing a 'I ♥ IRA' t-shirt?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Was she wearing a 'I ♥ IRA' t-shirt?

Now you mention it!

;)

50 minutes ago, peterms said:

So when Andy Burnham was all over TV last week was he showing solidarity and leadership to the people of Manchester,or was it nothing about the people of Manchester it was just political opportunism. Unless you only think it applies to PM's. 

And don't the SAS in particular love Thatcher, didn't she have piss ups with them well off camera. I read this when reading in detail about the Iranian Embassy seige

1 minute ago, colhint said:

So when Andy Burnham was all over TV last week was he showing solidarity and leadership to the people of Manchester,or was it nothing about the people of Manchester it was just political opportunism. Unless you only think it applies to PM's. 

In the aftermath of something like that, it is natural and expected that political figures, including the Home Secretary and the PM and their opposition equivalents, and mayors in places like London and Manchester if it happens on their patch, are interviewed.

You must, surely, see the vast difference between that and a staged photo opportunity like those I illustrated?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, av1 said:

Corbyn just makes my blood boil to be honest. His ties to terrorist organisations, the way he surrounds himself with sycophants, i can't see one redeeming feature. And Abbott is just a complete tool. 

He has no ties to terrorist organisations. A lot of shit went on with NI back in the day and lots of people coerced with many less than savoury people. People may be right that he went too far by supporting causes rather than staying neutral but he seems to be guided by his conscience. It's weird that we're arguing what kind of people he kept company with at various points in history while the Tories are actively killing disabled people by ideology choice. While May's husband is directly benefitting from her policies. While they sell arms to Saudi Arabia.

It's a footnote. It's completely inconsequential. What does it have to do with anything now?

It's the desperate distraction technique of a right wing media who have nothing left to throw at him and see the polls narrowing. And anyone making a big deal out of it is just falling into their trap. It's amazing the amount of limited thinkers who are suddenly parroting the 'terrorist sympathiser' stuff without knowing any of the background. 

• Like 1

I think it proper for politicians to do what they did in Manchester. I also think it is proper for politicians to support the troops  in times of conflict. I don't think they went into those areas just for a photo shoot. I think they went to support troops.

Â