• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

5 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Isn’t the rumour that if they can’t access Radio 4’s “Today” program 3 days in a row they take that as a likelihood that the U.K. has been hit by a nuclear strike and then open the letter of last resort  ?

Few people know the correct answer.  I certainly don’t.  But it wouldn’t be triggered by a single factor.

I would be fairly certain that the BBC World Service being off air for x number of days would be one of them.  

Regardless of what Hollywood likes to portray a nuclear war would not wipe out humanity.  There would be foreign news reports on their radio stations. Again, it would need more than just 1 station broadcasting 1 news report that was actually part of a radio-drama. 

I would guess that the amount of air traffic throughout the world would be a factor.  Airline flights would drop to zero.  

• Like 1

It's happening folks.

Attack vectors seem to be Svatove in the North, Soledar and Klishiivka around Bakhmut, Staromlynivka in the South and frantic activity around Kherson. Instead of going for a big punch it appears that Ukraine is trying to stretch Russia as far as possible, and especially around Bakhmut and towards Berdyansk it's working really well. In one night Ukraine have liberated 3 villages towards Berdyansk and caused a rout there. Russian forces have mined the areas around them so hard that they're retreating into their own minefields and clearing the way for Ukraine when they run.

It's US\NATO tactics to a T. First they've hit logistics for weeks on end, and now they're attacking the groups with the longest supply chains. With the arrival of the SCALP missiles they should hit targets deep within Crimea/Luhansk as soon as they advance a little.

Meanwhile Russia claims they've blown up 15 Leopard 2's, 10 amx's and several thousand men, does anyone even believe the Russian MOD anymore?

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

The Kherson dam has been blown up. 

Both sides claim the other did it of course. 

The dam supplied the water needed for the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant as well as for Crimea. 

Having a look at this there is actually quite a decent chance it was a catastrophic failure from the damage the dam took back in November that lead it to breaking, rather than deliberate sabotage. 

The sluice gates were damaged and the dam was previously letting out too much water, then it was filling up to fast and this morning it seems to have broken. 

46 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Noticed something had happened in Ukraine. First thought. Better check the thread on VT.

What's happening.  

According to Ukraine - Nothing.  Operational silence is in place. 

According to Official Russian Sources -  the counterattack happened and was repulsed with massive loses on the Ukrainian side.  Not a single x -wing fighter escaped.  The Enterprise can't go into warp.  The A Team have been captured and locked in a garage with a supply of power tools and scrap metal.  

According to Unofficial Russian Sources -  Panic!  Ukrainians are miles over the border in small groups.  Everything is on fire.  

According to me -  either Ukraine have played one of the biggest fakes in history and there will be no major counterattack, it will be a series of attacks all along the line and behind it OR Ukraine are still trying to suck troops away from the point where the counterattack will take place. 

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Spelling mishsteaks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

According to me -  either Ukraine have played one of the biggest fakes in history and there will be no major counterattack, it will be a series of attacks all along the line and behind it OR Ukraine are still trying to suck troops away from the point where the counterattack will take place. 

Agree on the current probing attacks but I’m not convinced the counter-offensive will take place in one direction, much more likely to be in three or four directions at once

23 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

The A Team have been captured and locked in a garage with a supply of power tools and scrap metal.  

Surely not even The Russians could be that stupid. 

Russia again scoring a massive own goal. This will piss China\India off to no end as it puts their allegiance to the Russian terrorist state into another darker shade of black.

It also puts the nuclear plant at risk. Xi will be fuming.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Russia again scoring a massive own goal. This will piss China\India off to no end as it puts their allegiance to the Russian terrorist state into another darker shade of black.

scorched Earth from Russia, do they think they've lost?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

See above. I suspect the dam has failed due to the earlier damage rather than been deliberately destroyed. 

10 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

scorched Earth from Russia, do they think they've lost?

I was literally about to post this. 

Destroy as much infrastructure on your way out. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

Agree on the current probing attacks but I’m not convinced the counter-offensive will take place in one direction, much more likely to be in three or four directions at once

I agree. 

In my opinion the counterattack location or locations are still to be finalised.  Russia will have placed mobile reserves in several locations to counterattack the counterattack.  The probing attacks along the entire front are to make those reserves commit to an area OR the release troops to reinforce the front line in general. 

The big factor is the Russian airforce. It could do a huge amount of damage to a small number of dense attacks.  It will be much less effective on 5 or 6 counterattack. 

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

See above. I suspect the dam has failed due to the earlier damage rather than been deliberately destroyed. 

Both sides claim explosions happened last night. Ukraine has nothing to gain from doing it, ergo.

I assume this makes crossing the river anywhere downstream a lot more difficult. From a defensive point of view quite useful. From an attacking point of view problematic. 

Who benefits most? 🤔

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Both sides claim explosions happened last night. Ukraine has nothing to gain from doing it, ergo.

It screws Russia as well. There are photos here of a section that fell away recently. 

36 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Except all reports are that it was blown up 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Except all reports are that it was blown up 

I assume Ukraine did given the headache it will cause for Russia trying to supply water to Crimea now. As well as the affect on Russian positions near the Dnipro. 

EDIT: Actually according to latest reports the explosion came from inside the dam so it was Russia. 

Edited by villa89

Â