Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

Few questions for people who‘ve been following more closely…

How many elite/professional Russian troops were in Lyman vs local separatists, conscripts, etc?

When can Ukraine start to take strategic advantage of controlling Lyman?

How long before the weather slows everything down?

Are Ukraine looking likely to make breakthroughs anywhere else before winter?

Can Ukraine take any major cities in the recently annexed territories before winter?

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

42 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Few questions for people who‘ve been following more closely…

How many elite/professional Russian troops were in Lyman vs local separatists, conscripts, etc?

When can Ukraine start to take strategic advantage of controlling Lyman?

How long before the weather slows everything down?

Are Ukraine looking likely to make breakthroughs anywhere else before winter?

Can Ukraine take any major cities in the recently annexed territories before winter?

Claims that up to 5k troops were based in Lyman but more accurate estimates appear to be around 1500 and probably mostly separatists. Many fleeing we're ambushed trying to escape via Lyman Forest, and the eastern road out to Kreminna and have been ambushed. There are videos now circulating of the destruction of anything Russian. They've been absolutely hammered.

Lyman is already strategically controlled now surrounded or under fire control from Ukrainian forces. Reports seem to indicate there is no escape now viable so anyone in the pocket is already isolated. 

I believe from what I have read that the ground starts to bog up now before the winter starts setting in around early November. I have no clue though how true this is, but I would think that once the fields get bogged down only the roads can be used for vehicles. This month appears to be a biggy as far as advancing for Ukraine. 

I think extending the line to Svatove, Northeast of Lyman and trying to take Lysychansk (as on high ground) would give Ukraine advantages over Russian troops defending Seiverndonetsk and further soften the Russian defences on the eastern front. That's where I'd want to go next. I think there is also an argument though that Ukraine also now need to start thinking about reinforcing their own defensive positions especially over ground being retaken. That itself can take months considering the ground they've reclaimed the last 3 weeks. 

I'm no expert and just trying to keep up with what's happening and anticipating what may happen. I haven't a clue though really, it's all guesswork. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Lyman is already strategically controlled now surrounded or under fire control from Ukrainian forces. Reports seem to indicate there is no escape now viable so anyone in the pocket is already isolated.  

Sorry what I meant was - my understanding is that Lyman has some strategic value due to a railway line and its strategic position for launching other attacks.

So was just wondering if controlling Lyman allowed Ukraine to exploit that immediately or if they needed to press further first?

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Sorry what I meant was - my understanding is that Lyman has some strategic value due to a railway line and its strategic position for launching other attacks.

So was just wondering if controlling Lyman allowed Ukraine to exploit that immediately or if they needed to press further first?

I'm not sure Kent. It was a supply hub due to the railway station, so your right, but the route looks more north to south so how much use it is to Ukrainians at the moment.  I'm sure there will be other routes. 

As far as Ukraine being able to exploit from Lyman, they already have and are currently attacking Kreminna which is 30km East of Lyman and virtually North of Seiverdonetsk. This is how they've managed to ambush retreating Russians.

• Like 1

If this is the case, and there was small arms fire in the outskirts last night then we might be looking at a real collapse of Russian lines in the East. Not forgetting that Lysychansk and Sieverndonetsk were left as piles of rubble initially by Ukrainian forces. Russia is now literally defending rubble they created which won't be comfortable in the slightest. 

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Actually just looking at Lyman on Google maps it is just 1 massive railway yard surrounded by houses. Probably similar to Crewe, you can see how it would be very strategically important. 

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

It’ll be interesting to see a western main battle tank against Russian tin cans.

What tanks are they getting? 

Not German I assume. 

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

Lots of gains being reported over the last few weeks but how much land are they really gaining? Russia had about 20% of Ukraine a few weeks ago. What sort of number is that now?

18.35695633822% 

Don't ask me how I got that figure it's classified. 

• Haha 2

Â