Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

24 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Sounds like things might be happening in Kherson now. Fingers crossed!

Yeah, Zolota Balka was taken this morning and Khreshenivka taken this afternoon. Looks like Ukrainian forces are finally pushing south and breaking Russian defenses. 

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

An interesting fact if true. Not seen mention of this elsewhere

I have seen mention of this elsewhere a few times.

The consensus seems to be that Ukraine would rather spend more time training troops than just throwing them into battle.

From what I've read, troop numbers have never been Ukraine's problem. It's weapons / equipment that they struggle for.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

From what I've read, troop numbers have never been Ukraine's problem. It's weapons / equipment that they struggle for.

I agree, however, you do keep seeing suggestions, usually from those that mention the word ceasefire, that Putin will eventually win because he has more troops

5 hours ago, bickster said:

I agree, however, you do keep seeing suggestions, usually from those that mention the word ceasefire, that Putin will eventually win because he has more troops

Surely they can’t just by using sheer numbers with both a lack of training and experience? They’ve still got to get through a trained and battle hardened Ukrainian army. The only way they might succeed is by throwing in those with experience but then they are exposing themselves back home?  

The term ‘meat grinder’ has never been more clear during my time with reference to war. 

I do worry about Belarus though, whether or not they get involved giving UA another front to fight on, possibly just as a distraction from the East. 

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Putin may have more meat, but he doesn’t have more soldiers. At this point I’d wager that the average trained UA soldier is worth 5 RU soldiers. From what I gather there’s been a queue of 5 months for getting into UAs army since the start of the war. There’s no manpower issues for them.

Then you add the 20k+ volunteers fighting for UA and there’s no need for more. Human wave tactics don’t work anymore.

Once lend lease comes into full effect this month UAs soldiers will be a fully fledged NATO fighting force with 8 years of experience. It’ll be hands down the best army in Europe.

• Like 1

If France wants to lead Europe to a new era of military self-reliance, how come its contribution to the war effort in Ukraine is so small?

That is the awkward question being posed by some of the country's top strategic thinkers, who are pushing President Emmanuel Macron to make an urgent decision on more arms to Kyiv.

Recent analysis conducted on the ground in Poland and Ukraine shows that the French share of foreign arms deliveries is less than 2%, way behind the US on 49%, but also behind Poland (22%) and Germany (9%).

"I was concerned about the reliability of the statistics which showed France low on the list of contributing countries," says François Heisbourg, who is perhaps France's most influential defence analyst.

"So I went out to the main distribution hub in Poland to see how much in tonnage was actually being delivered, rather than just promised.

"Unfortunately the figures bore out my fears. France is way down the list - in ninth position."

Link

There really doesn't seem like much in the way of cover for the retreating Russian troops between Borova and Svatove in the Luhansk Oblast. Looks like pretty open country.

Svatove is significant because firstly it's in Luhansk and secondly because the Russians captured it very early on in the first two weeks of the war

When Ukraine take it, it will be interesting to see the reaction the troops get

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why, are you Russian? 

Haha.

I am probably giving the Russians far too much credit but my fear is it’s some clever honey trap. Fill the area with Ukrainian forces then missile the shit out of it.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

Haha.

I am probably giving the Russians far too much credit but my fear is it’s some clever honey trap. Fill the area with Ukrainian forces then missile the shit out of it.

But then they will be firing on their own ‘territory’ based on the super fair referendum from the other day… 

Â