Zelda - Breath of the Wild

Chindie

One thing that annoys me. 

The camera is too close to link a lot of the time. 

Ive just done the Gerudo divine beast and the boss fight was so hard because most of the time I couldn’t see the fucker because the camera was all over the place.

Edited by Stevo985

Completely in love with this now.

It took me a while to get over the lack of direction you have. But once I got into the fact that you just have to go and actively explore each area and the quests will open up then I've loved it.

Fantastic game so far

Got screwed over last night.

Found one of those little camps of bobos. The big skull full of them.

So spent 10 minutes sneakily clearing them out. Job done.
Jumped down into the skull to pick up my prize and it cut to that annoying cutscene for the "blood moon".
When it came back form the cut scene all the bobos were back and kicked my arse!

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

• Haha 1

I was telling someone the other day that it might be my favourite game of all time, but I couldn't explain to him why. He was asking how it's any better than something like Horizon Zero Dawn.

It's strange, it's not the best graphically, the story line isn't the best, the gameplay is just fine. But overall it's just a fantastic game IMO, it works.

I didn't convince him.

3 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I was telling someone the other day that it might be my favourite game of all time, but I couldn't explain to him why. He was asking how it's any better than something like Horizon Zero Dawn.

It's strange, it's not the best graphically, the story line isn't the best, the gameplay is just fine. But overall it's just a fantastic game IMO, it works.

I didn't convince him.

A big part of it is just the atmosphere of the game.

I've just done a lot of stuff in the Gerudo desert bit. 

It's amazing how hot it feels. That sounds weird, but it just feels so hot and dry and barren. Running through the desert actually feels like an effort because of the way the game makes you feel. It's superb.

I also think the difficulty is a nice change from usual Zelda games. This one is hard, especially in combat situations. You can't just run in and spam your sword and kill everyone. It's really quite tactical.
Games like Windwaker were superb, but you were rarely at risk of dying. 

• Like 1

It's a brilliant game.  As you are finding out, the exploration side of things is second to none, and the amount of stuff to do is ridiculous.  However, it's just a shame that the main quest is a bit limited.  Without wishing to spoil anything, I reckon it would be easy to finish the end game bit and not bother with any of the rest of the game like the four beasts in an hour or so.  I liked all the temples, but the lack of proper dungeons is what made the game less than perfect.  There is so much to do, I upgraded just about all of the armour, got a million recipes and weapons, all of the memories and so on, but the end game left me feeling that I needn't really have bothered.  As much fun as just exploring was, it seemed to make it less than worthwhile.

The cooking and potion side of it is passing me by. I found a couple of recipes but was surprised that it doesn't appear to save them anywhere. So once you've eaten a dish it's gone, unless you can remember it (Although I guess maybe there's a recipe book somewhere eventually. Haven't found anything yet though)

So **** that. Unless I specifically need something (like a cooling meal when I first got to the desert) I'm not bothering. I'll make a few meals for health boosts but I can't be arsed finding recipes and that.

And yes, to be honest I'm already finding the shrines a bit tedious, so really the only other dungeony type thing are the divine beasts. I've done two of those and they are ok.

Edited by Stevo985

• 2 weeks later...

This game is just incredible. I can't stop playing it. 

I'm 55 hours in and I don't think I'm anywhere near finishing it. More than half the map is still to be uncovered for a start.

It's just utterly brilliant.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This game is just incredible. I can't stop playing it. 

I'm 55 hours in and I don't think I'm anywhere near finishing it. More than half the map is still to be uncovered for a start.

It's just utterly brilliant.

I think I clocked up around 200 hours mate.

And I still thought there were bits and pieces I missed out on.

As you say it's utterly brilliant.

One thing I hadn't noticed is the legit weather systems. 

This morning I was playing and got to the top of a peak near the middle of the map. I noticed out towards the centre of the map a thunderstorm. You could see it moving in my direction, and it lined up perfectly with the little weather forecast in the bottom right.

Little touches.

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/05/2018 at 12:09, Stevo985 said:

One thing I hadn't noticed is the legit weather systems. 

This morning I was playing and got to the top of a peak near the middle of the map. I noticed out towards the centre of the map a thunderstorm. You could see it moving in my direction, and it lined up perfectly with the little weather forecast in the bottom right.

Little touches.

Totally agree, makes for a very beautiful game. I've been working through the master quest and I'm in love all over again. I lost last summer to this game and it looks like I'm going to lose this summer as well! At least you can take into the garden with you i guess

• 2 weeks later...

Had a bit of a break from this but got back on it over the weekend.

It's so **** good.

70 hours in now. I've done 3 Divine Beasts but there's so much of the map I haven't properly explored. I'm kind of doing a clockwise circuit of it. Slowly making my way from sector to sector and trying to explore each one, but I know I'm missing loads. Especially the mountainous areas as it's much harder to figure out where you've been and haven't been (compared to say the desert where I'm fairly sure I've explored most if not all of it)

Can see myself doing the last Divine Beast and then doing another circuit, anti clockwise, to re-explore everywhere.

• Like 2

It’s still my favourite game of all time I think. The only ones that come close are RDR and FFIX. Amazing game.

I hope they double down and get another one out quicker than the usual 4-5 years. They must realise the appetite for Zelda is a lot more than they think now after BotW.

• 2 months later...

Been playing Twilight Princess HD a load along with Shenmue the last few days. Been playing with the Wii U Pro Controller instead of the tablet and it’s amazing. Playing with a normal controller instead of the motion controls I battled through with during the original wii version is night and day, it’s transformed the game for me personally. Can’t describe how much better it is to play now.  

I know it gets a lot of hate in some circles but TP is up there for me with the best Zelda games. 

21 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Been playing Twilight Princess HD a load along with Shenmue the last few days. Been playing with the Wii U Pro Controller instead of the tablet and it’s amazing. Playing with a normal controller instead of the motion controls I battled through with during the original wii version is night and day, it’s transformed the game for me personally. Can’t describe how much better it is to play now.  

I know it gets a lot of hate in some circles but TP is up there for me with the best Zelda games. 

I"m the same. I loved Twilight Princess. For me it felt like Ocarina of Time, but bigger and better. I know that loses points for originality (or lack of) but it was still a brilliant game.

It would make my top 5 Zelda games I reckon.

1) Ocarina of Time

2) Link to the Past

3) Twilight Princess

4) Wind Waker

5) Breath of the Wild

Just haven't managed to get fully in to BOTW just yet, but I'm sure it'll climb up the list when I do based on all the positive comments I keep reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Still going.

i go little spells without playing it due to my inability to play two games at once. But I’m still plugging away. 

I think I’ve just got to the volcano bit which I’m assuming will be he last divine beast. I’ll probably do that, finish opening up all of the other sectors (only a couple left) and then see whether I can be bothered to re explore the map or go straight to try and finish the game. 

• 2 months later...

I know I'm still miles behind on this... couple of questions though for those of you who have finished this.

I assume if I beat the game I can carry on and complete everything else after? 
I only have one more divine beast to do and one more sector to unlock (the Goron bit) so I'm tempted to go and try and finish it. But I'd also quite like to go round completing any shrines I've missed (although I'd have to look up where they are) and completing any quests that are still open.

I also feel like I don't have much in the way of armour. Are there any big "sets" that people had that I've missed out on. I've got stuff like a set that helps you climb quicker, the gerudo sets, the set that is rubber so protects you from lightning, the glow in the dark set.

But the strongest bit of armour I had is rated 13 (it's like a knight's armour thing). Is that high? I know I can upgrade stuff using the fairies which I've done a fair bit and will go back and do again before I tackle the castle, but I'm just wondering if there's anything obvious that i've missed?

(Oh and I assume there's some sort of armour or clothing I need for the volcano as I can't go up there yet, so I'll find that soon enough)

Â