Top Gear

Jez

They need to sort the range and recharge time on those things or they'll never be feasible. The FIA are starting an electric racing series soon so I'd imagine the racing industry will make some pretty quick progress in many areas.

They'd need to make a u-turn on battery powered electric cars then.

It's not even actually an electric car tbf, it's a hybrid.

EDIT - Saying that, it's a nice looking thing. got a hint of the XJ220 about it.

Well the new series started and it was... alright. Not the worst episode they've done, not the best. Interesting that the Atom was allowed to stay on the board, I'm not convinced that thing, with that nose, would go over a speed bump too crisply.

It's becoming even more increasingly clear that the Star in the Reasonably Priced Car segment needs to kick the bucket.

Also that Jags in depth look was a 2 minute 'Ooooo shiny' fest ;) that was desperate to ignore the fact it's battery powered.

Well the new series started and it was... alright. Not the worst episode they've done, not the best. Interesting that the Atom was allowed to stay on the board, I'm not convinced that thing, with that nose, would go over a speed bump too crisply.

The only rule for power laps is the car has to be road legal.

The only rule for power laps is the car has to be road legal.

Not the case - they ditched the Caparo T1 for not being able to go over a speed bump despite total street legality, with Clarkson specifically saying that they'd never allow a car that couldn't go over a 'sleeping policeman' on the board.

But the other Atom is on the board. The only difference is the engine.

Not true. The V8 has a F1 style front nose wing, and from the episode it looked pretty damn low to me. The normal Atom just has it's pointy front end.

You're right that the front end is different. I don't think the ultimate height off the ground is much different if at all though. Both front ends are just above the bottom end of the alloy wheel.

ariel-atom.gif

car_photo_308800_7.jpg

I was going entirely on what the episode showed, hadn't looked at any pictures, so you could well be right on reflection. In the shots on the show it looked bloody low, which is what raised the comment.