Top Gear

Jez

• 4 weeks later...

Wonder what colour the next stig will be when they kill him off then.

They're going to have to beat launching him off an aircraft carrier to kill him though.

Surely even though they've lost the injunction they can still sue Collins for breach of contract? I really can't see anyway he can get away with breaching the confidentiality clauses in his contract. It's one thing them not being able to get an injunction, another entirely to get away with breach of contract.

They will probably just sack him and move on to a new Stig. The book will sell like gangbusters and everybody will be as disappointed as they were when they found out who shot Mr Burns. They could chase him through the civil courts I guess, but I dont think they will bother.

They could chase him through the civil courts I guess, but I dont think they will bother.

Depends how well the book sells I guess.

If it's a top seller than they'll go after the profits. I'd be disappointed if they don't.

Yup agree. the only way foreign "Versions" of shows work is if they take a concept and make it their own.

The US version of the office, for example. It's good (in my opinion) because it uses the UK concept but doesn't try to make the characters exactly like the UK equivalent.

• 1 month later...

The video might not be available outside the US, but CBS News' 60 Minutes is doing a feature on Top Gear tonight (the full segment should be available online shortly thereafter)

Steve Kroft is taken for a hair-raising, 130 mph joy ride by "The Stig" on Sunday's "60 Minutes." A Darth-Vader-like anonymous race car driver who doesn't speak, the Stig is just one of the peculiar features that have helped make the BBC2's car show, "Top Gear," one of the most popular television programs on the planet, with a weekly audience the BBC estimates at 350 million viewers in 170 countries.

Kroft's report on "Top Gear" will be broadcast this Sunday, Oct. 24, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

What's the mass appeal of a quirky car show that attracts a-list guest stars like Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz, and features a hodgepodge of extravagant races, travelogues, stunts and car reviews? Kroft asks co-hosts Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May, as well as the program's executive producer, Andy Wilman.

"It's a journey into the male mind which, I believe is a really potentially very funny place. Because, let's face it, nothing happens there," says Wilman.

Witty humor, running physical gags, outrageous speed, destructive vehicle stunts and car reviews are the show's hallmarks. It's now entering its fifth decade and is available in the U.S. on BBC America, where it enjoys a cult following. Kroft's story includes some of the show's best moments: driving a Bugatti 259 MPH; driving a truck through brick walls; drinking and driving on the way to the North Pole; cooking up elaborate ways to destroy Toyota pick-ups; and a road trip through Alabama in cars sporting fighting words like "NASCAR SUCKS."

The program courts controversy regularly with their often dangerous stunts and the humor that is often taken as anything but funny by some offended group.

There was the time Clarkson drove a truck for a "Top Gear" segment and upset people with a wry reference to a serial killer who happened to be a truck driver. "It's a hard job," deadpans Clarkson. "Change gear, change gear, check your mirrors. Murder a prostitute, change gear…" Says Clarkson, "It's a weekly occurrence that somebody will complain…but if you start to pay attention to everybody's concerns, you end up with something bland and boring."

Each week, Clarkson, a huge, bombastic character, joins May, a professorial type, and Hammond, an energetic and earnest foil, in a clash of personalities and inside humor that is for many the secret sauce in the show. But Clarkson clearly leads the pack in this race. "The chemistry that exists between Richard, James and I has rather taken over…We really, genuinely loathe each other," Clarkson tells Kroft.

As for "The Stig," who never speaks or reveals his identity, "A happy accident," says Wilman. "We couldn't find a racing driver capable of an intelligent comment…And then, I think Jeremy, said, 'Why does this driver need to talk at all?'" Indeed, The Stig does not speak when Kroft tries to engage him, remaining in his mute, anonymous character behind the dark visor that's become his trademark.

Stig's mystery has become such a critical part of "Top Gear" that when he revealed his identity some weeks ago as Ben Collins, he was shown the door. The former Formula Three driver outed himself so he could publish a book; the search is on for his replacement.

Watched a couple of the '60 Mins Extra' vids. I wish they'd stop making out that the Alabama thing was real.

Anywho, seems that they're doing another Christmas special this year and this time, they've driven across the 'Holy Land' to Bethlehem. Should be fun/offensive/dangerous.

The full segment... obviously nothing really new for Top Gear watchers, but for something that's only shown on BBC America (and gets audiences of well under a million, typically) to get a feature on a show that's been in the top 10 shows on US TV for 35 or 40 years (and moreso, on an NFL doubleheader weekend*) is kind of an honor (and it's not because of the US (without a doubt, shit) version, as that's running on History, which is (indirectly) a joint venture of CBS' traditional rivals ABC & NBC). Still as a rough summary of what Top Gear is, it's not wide of the mark (issues with the Southern US trip aside and the timing of the Stig controversy being after they had shot the footage)

Sidenote: the other two segments (on the 99ers and on Jane Goodall) were pretty good, too (the Goodall one could have used more Lara Logan)

* for pretty much half the NFL weeks, CBS gets to show two games to most of the country, the latter one of which nearly always runs past 7pm, forcing 60 Minutes to start 15-45 minutes late. Because of this (if you watch the game to the end, you'd be joining another show in progress if you changed channels) and the promotion during the games the doubleheader weekend editions consistently get a few million extra viewers.

Yup agree. the only way foreign "Versions" of shows work is if they take a concept and make it their own.

The US version of the office, for example. It's good (in my opinion) because it uses the UK concept but doesn't try to make the characters exactly like the UK equivalent.

:nod: One of my favourite shows.