Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I just could not disagree more, but respect your view.

In the cold light of day he presided over a team that had just beaten the league leaders comprehensively.......not just the result, out played them at times.

I am as frustrated and baffled as the next Villa Fan.....I have a suspicion, whats wrong but thats all it is and its a general thing not just about last Night or Saturday.

I know it sounds crazy, but I don't think the team is still quite right for Auto Promotion.....just my take.....Nothing to do with the managers selections or set up or substitutions, I don't think we have the right players available in the squad for certain situations like last night......maybe something he will review.

This season was our best chance - I think we will be considerably weaker next season due to ffp .

Just now, Eastie said:

This season was our best chance - I think we will be considerably weaker next season due to ffp .

As do I. We would be lucky to be top 6 next year.

We will be in massive trouble next year i fear. What a complete and utter shambles.

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Snodgrass isn't ours anyway

from the rest , Grealish is the only one a prem team would take ..and even then it would be the likes of a bottom half team so he might just as well stay at Villa and earn more money than he'd get at Cardiff or Huddersfield

Maybe we would need to cash in on someone to try and keep the squad together as best we can - only Grealish and maybe kodjia that would attract any decent cash . 

sometimes in football unless you have the very best players.....

you have to be as hard as nails or as quick as lightning, if you have neither, you might be struggling.

a bit basic I know.

• Like 1

His constant need to keep playing some players out of position infuriates me, play them to thier f*****g strenght. The same with his need to keep play players who doesnt perform - give them extra chances (Onomah, Whelan, Birkir - until he found out that he was semi good at DM). Some players get a lot of chances and some dont...why? Why is Lansbury being kept out for so long, when he has performed equally as good or better as the 3 mentioned before?

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Eastie I am not sure.

I think the Academy kids will be another year older and another step on the road to maturity.....However, in this league I do not see talent alone getting us out of it.

Talent, is a wonderful thing and its essential, not playing it down one iota, but in this league you can get players who muscle it off you.....as fine a team as we are at times, we get too easily stopped from playing and out muscled.

We did a great job on Wolves, but in general they cope with that over 46 games better than we do, so do Cardiff and Fulham, those teams are much more difficult to negate their talent and wrestle them out of the game.

I have been over the moon watching some of our games this year....but we have many players around the 30 mark, for sure experience is great, but a good young player will test your legs over 46 games.

3 games in a week is too much for some of ours and it showed last night, its ok if you can get an early goal and let the ball do the work, but when some team turns up for a physical battle and goes ahead, the legs get weary and the brain turns sloppy.

I see a squad, but I don't see that many players to bring in to combat that scenario.....just my view of course.

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d still be keen on Dean Smith. 

I hear this one a fair bit.....just don't see it myself.

Interesting to know what you see.

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

Eastie I am not sure.

I think the Academy kids will be another year older and another step on the road to maturity.....However, in this league I do not see talent alone getting us out of it.

Talent, is a wonderful thing and its essential, not playing it down one iota, but in this league you can get players who muscle it off you.....as fine a team as we are at times, we get too easily stopped from playing and out muscled.

We did a great job on Wolves, but in general they cope with that over 46 games better than we do, so do Cardiff and Fulham, those teams are much more difficult to negate their talent and wrestle them out of the game.

I have been over the moon watching some of our games this year....but we have many players around the 30 mark, for sure experience is great, but a good young player will test your legs over 46 games.

3 games in a week is too much for some of ours and it showed last night, its ok if you can get an early goal and let the ball do the work, but when some team turns up for a physical battle and goes ahead, the legs get weary and the brain turns sloppy.

I see a squad, but I don't see that many players to bring in to combat that scenario.....just my view of course.

The young lads will come through but I think it would be expecting a lot to do it next season , snoddy ,JT and Grealish have been our stand out players this season and if we don’t go up I’m not sure any of those 3 will be here next season . 

Bruce is big on experience and he likes the older type player - could be a couple of loans maybe but I think we’d struggle to get up next season .

The problem is of course once you get a jewel in the team the premier clubs come sniffing and grab them - we really need to get up this season 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think Steve Bruce has shown improvement, it would be folly to put a halt to that. i still think he has had to come from such a back marker as opposed to pulis who has had a stronger squad to take over.

I feel sure he knows our weakness and will remedy it as opposed to another manager, who has to start all over again.

Bruce has undeniably improved, but that wasn't really all that difficult considering the shambles of last season. However he was/is tasked with the job of promotion, and should he fail, he needs to go. 

Actually I wouldn't keep him irrespective of what happens this season, as I feel he cannot improve us further.

Also I see no problem whatsoever starting over with a new manager. As you've said yourself, Pulis has had it much easier, because of the strong squad he inherited. How is that any different from where we are now? Bruce has imho laid down solid foundations for the next guy to come in and continue the work. Credit to him for that.

3 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Bruce has undeniably improved, but that wasn't really all that difficult considering the shambles of last season. However he was/is tasked with the job of promotion, and should he fail, he needs to go. 

Actually I wouldn't keep him irrespective of what happens this season, as I feel he cannot improve us further.

Also I see no problem whatsoever starting over with a new manager. As you've said yourself, Pulis has had it much easier, because of the strong squad he inherited. How is that any different from where we are now? Bruce has imho laid down solid foundations for the next guy to come in and continue the work. Credit to him for that.

If we started next season with the same squad I’d agree but many of these will be gone as ffp bites our balls.

I would keep him but wouldn’t be overly upset if we went for dean smith either .

Edited by Eastie

Just now, Eastie said:

If we started next season with the same squad I’d agree but many of these will be gone as ffp bites our balls.

Of course, but what I mean is that Bruce has got rid of "the rot", and instilled a winning mentality to the club, that's what I mean by "solid foundations". I don't proclaim to know what type of manager we as club need going forward, I only know what type of manager I'd prefer, and it isn't the Bruce-type.

12 minutes ago, vreitti said:

or **** it up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Of course, but what I mean is that Bruce has got rid of "the rot", and instilled a winning mentality to the club, that's what I mean by "solid foundations". I don't proclaim to know what type of manager we as club need going forward, I only know what type of manager I'd prefer, and it isn't the Bruce-type.

That seems pretty clear of what you don't want.....but very unclear of what you do want.

ps would you have Neil Warnock?

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

That seems pretty clear of what you don't want.....but very unclear of what you do want.

I've said it numerous times before, last time at the beginning of the season when it was looking dire for us, I like Jokanovic, if we are limiting ourselves to only realistic targets. I'd take Dean Smith over Bruce too.

Bruce came in for promotion , promotion's on his CV got him the gig .No way on earth he stays if we don't go up it's  promotion or bust for him.

If he can't get this squad up the chances of him doing next season with less money are slim to none as far as I am concerned.

• Like 3

Â