Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Everytime I’ve watched Brentford I’ve liked the way they try to play a passing game. It hasn’t always worked because they haven’t got the best players in the league yet they still try to play in a certain way which when works is easy on the eye. 

I’d be interested to see what he could do with better players at his disposal. 

Yeah I get that and i get he has to work wonders with no money but,

We have just seen a manager who too in relative terms have no money and is not fancied by many Fans, because of who he is.....dismantle Brentford at Home 1-3 coming from behind.

Just read his book "Made In Sheffield" and he mentions getting advice from Steve Bruce.....so are we kidding ourselves, we do have an experienced manager.

If you look at the Wolves game or Bristol game, does it get much better than that.

They have scored 53 goals we have scored 61

I will stick with Steve Bruce thanks

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Nabby said:

Yes because the midfield 2 don't ever control a game .If we are under the cosh Jedinek is good generally at providing a cover for the defence but then all he is good for is laying the ball off .Houriane if you need a midfielder near the box to grab a goal he is decent but he doesn't dominate in midfield he is unable to set the tone of a game. Whelan is much the same.

There is also a lack of mobility in the middle , thats what Thor does add at least as he gets around the pitch well

The Wolves game we won as we worked our socks off , pressured them and when we got some chances we took them but that was always going to take it out of the players especially an aging squad like we have .Bruce knew this, after the game he admitted he considered changing what is the concern is he again sided with what he thought was the safe option of keeping it the same and it cost us in the end.

He admitted his experience told him to make 5 or 6 changes.....I think the emphatic win on Saturday influenced him.

He should have gone with his head and he went with his heart.

He said it was his fault....HANDS IN THE AIR.

They have to be left alone now....to do their job.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

We have just seen a manager who too in relative terms have no money and is not fancied by many Fans, because of who he is.....dismantle Brentford at Home 1-3 coming from behind.

Yesterday I saw a team with the 3rd worst away record in the league dismantle Aston Villa 3-1 at home. 

So I’m not sure that’s such a good example of why you don’t fancy Dean Smith. 

I would prefer Warnock next season over Bruce but I reckon he will fancy a another crack at the Premier League. 

5 hours ago, TRO said:

Eastie I am not sure.

I think the Academy kids will be another year older and another step on the road to maturity.....However, in this league I do not see talent alone getting us out of it.

Talent, is a wonderful thing and its essential, not playing it down one iota, but in this league you can get players who muscle it off you.....as fine a team as we are at times, we get too easily stopped from playing and out muscled.

We did a great job on Wolves, but in general they cope with that over 46 games better than we do, so do Cardiff and Fulham, those teams are much more difficult to negate their talent and wrestle them out of the game.

I have been over the moon watching some of our games this year....but we have many players around the 30 mark, for sure experience is great, but a good young player will test your legs over 46 games.

3 games in a week is too much for some of ours and it showed last night, its ok if you can get an early goal and let the ball do the work, but when some team turns up for a physical battle and goes ahead, the legs get weary and the brain turns sloppy.

I see a squad, but I don't see that many players to bring in to combat that scenario.....just my view of course.

TRO you’re on a roll!! A series of excellent posts offering a fair analysis of our currrent squad’s strengths and limitations and the consequences that brings. 

Well said, sir. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

But how many windows will he need to get it right while we stagnate in the Championship?

Well AB i don't know.

but when you are limited with what you can spend I guess availability becomes tricky and you have to make incremental improvement.....that can ( hopefully not) increase the windows.

You can't always get the players you want....but you just take someone slightly better to pursue improvement.

I guess If you are Man City, you can just about do it all in One window.

Wolves are doing their thing, but how long have they been in that division and they hadn't been in free fall like us.

59 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I don't think they will under Bruce. His modus operandi to get promoted is buying or loaning experience.

Well I think Jack Grealish has allayed that fear.....and Keinan Davies.

Jack always had the talent just Like some of the current lads have.....but he has had to do special strength enhancing training to get to resist challenges and hold off opposition players.

young lads can so easily be taken out and these refs don't protect you.....they have to mature and develop in to men.

I think Steve Bruce has every intention of using these lads, when he feels the time is right for them.

Edited by TRO

I don’t think I’ve ever since such over reactions to one game of football in my life.

A below par performance following a very good one is one of the most common occurrences in sport... it’s as simple as that.

All teams lose games they shouldn’t and win games they shouldn’t for Gods sake it’s as common as sliced bread !!!!

Apparently we are only ok to lose if other teams do, else it’s “ unforgivable”......?

As for getting rid of Bruce IF ( massive IF) we don’t go up, well, that means we could Win every game other than a Play Off Final, that’s 21 Wins out of 24.games ( ish) ...and then we’d sack him and start from scratch ??!!!! 

I don’t know what to say.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dn1982 said:

We won’t have a steady ship or a ready squad though. Johnstone Hutton Terry Snodgrass will all go. We will have to sell players to replace others and to navigate FFP. If we could keep the squad together I’d be ok with Bruce staying but if it’s decimated id want a manager that would use our kids. Bruce isn’t that man. 

You have no idea whatsoever whether that would happen... they might all stay.

But I suppose people have got to the stage when they believe what they prefer to believe.

We “ bottled” it

The players “ didn’t want it enough”

The players “ thought all they had to do was turn up”

Bruce “ won’t play youngsters”

Our players “ are lightweight”

Astonishing.

37 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I don’t think I’ve ever since such over reactions to one game of football in my life.

A below par performance following a very good one is one of the most common occurrences in sport... it’s as simple as that.

All teams lose games they shouldn’t and win games they shouldn’t for Gods sake it’s as common as sliced bread !!!!

Apparently we are only ok to lose if other teams do, else it’s “ unforgivable”......?

As for getting rid of Bruce IF ( massive IF) we don’t go up, well, that means we could Win every game other than a Play Off Final, that’s 21 Wins out of 24.games ( ish) ...and then we’d sack him and start from scratch ??!!!! 

I don’t know what to say.

His objective is promotion. If he doesn’t achieve that then he has failed. 

It is understandable fans would want a change. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
Rephrased
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Yes they might but considering the club can’t even offer contracts until they know which league we are in next season it suggest the wage bill will need to be significantly reduced. 

The issue with Bruce is he could have the entire ManCity squad at his disposal, and we'd play nothing like they are doing now. One or five more years won't change that. Bruce is a good enough manager for this level for sure, but we all know his ceiling, and there is no point sticking with him if we want to improve further. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

His remit is promotion in 2 seasons. If he doesn’t achieve then he has failed. Fans are well within their right to want a change. 

I don’t really know what any of that means .

His remit ? Could you post a copy ? Especially the bit that says “ no matter how good or bad a job we assess you having done, you WILL be sacked unless we are promoted “...

”Fans are well within their rights “ .... you don’t have any rights as a fan as such, so I don’t understand that... but you can of course express whatever you like.... I’ve not said you can’t.

But the fact that you can express a view has nothing to do with what I posted,

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yes they might but considering the club can’t even offer contracts until they know which league we are in next season it suggest the wage bill will need to be significantly reduced. 

Yes. Or No.

Youve no idea.

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I don’t really know what any of that means .

His remit ? Could you post a copy ? Especially the bit that says “ no matter how good or bad a job we assess you having done, you WILL be sacked unless we are promoted “...

”Fans are well within their rights “ .... you don’t have any rights as a fan as such, so I don’t understand that... but you can of course express whatever you like.... I’ve not said you can’t.

But the fact that you can express a view has nothing to do with what I posted,

I shouldn’t have quoted you. Apologies. 

44 minutes ago, terrytini said:

But I suppose people have got to the stage when they believe what they prefer to believe.

We “ bottled” it

The players “ didn’t want it enough”

The players “ thought all they had to do was turn up”

Bruce “ won’t play youngsters”

Our players “ are lightweight”

Astonishing.

We are close to FFP now. We will lose even more money next year as the parachute payments drop. It’s an educated guess we will not be able to afford Johnstone Terry and Snodgrass. In wages and transfer fees it’d be close to £20m for those 3. Davis apart name one of our youngsters who has been involved regularly? And Davis was only given a chance as no other options. We can argue about Bruce giving kids chances but the fact about FFP is indisputable. I said hopefully we may be able to keep the squad together but I don’t see how. What’s astonishing is your overreaction 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

He admitted his experience told him to make 5 or 6 changes.....I think the emphatic win on Saturday influenced him.

He should have gone with his head and he went with his heart.

He said it was his fault....HANDS IN THE AIR.

They have to be left alone now....to do their job.

I told one of my Hull City supporting mates about Bruce's comments, and he said he had made exactly the same comments several times when he was there. You would maybe expect such an experienced manager to have learned from a repeated mistake.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

We are close to FFP now. We will lose even more money next year as the parachute payments drop. It’s an educated guess we will not be able to afford Johnstone Terry and Snodgrass. In wages and transfer fees it’d be close to £20m for those 3. Davis apart name one of our youngsters who has been involved regularly? And Davis was only given a chance as no other options. We can argue about Bruce giving kids chances but the fact about FFP is indisputable. I said hopefully we may be able to keep the squad together but I don’t see how. What’s astonishing is your overreaction 

Lol how is it an over reaction to point out that we don’t know what might happen :rolleyes:

Or to simply quote some things people have said.

In a couple of weeks re- read the last 10 pages and tell me my observation is the one most deserving of the word over reaction :P

Not solely blaming Bruce, but as a club we have gambled everything on getting promotion.

If we fail then I genuinely feel all loan players will leave a few players will be sold and we will have to promote our youth to the 1st team not just the squad, not saying it would be a disaster but we would have to go backwards and build slowly.

so players leaving if we don't get promotion (sure some would leave anyway): *Johnstone, Terry, Snodgrass, Onomah, Hutton, Samba, Tuanzebe, Grabban. (*Johnstone wants to play every week but I fear he could do that on loan to a Prem club).

Bunn, Gabby leaving probably regardless. That is 10 players!

I doubt Lansbury would stick around either (not a huge loss, but if we lose the above you'd prob want to keep him).

Someone newly promoted might take a gamble on Chester, Adomah or **Hogan (**based on his reputation prior to us) even Kodjia if he gets fit again.

You'd hope Grealish would stay regardless but who knows, if a big Prem club came calling....
-------------

We would have to actually play McCormack and Tshibola and the players we call kids but aren't really kids anymore (and I believe are ready to play their part). I don't know if our finances would allow us to pay Premiership wages on top of the wages we already have.

Anyway I hope we get through the play offs, but if we don't then FFP may ensure we stay in the Championship a lot longer than anyone thought.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Lol how is it an over reaction to point out that we don’t know what might happen :rolleyes:

Or to simply quote some things people have said.

In a couple of weeks re- read the last 10 pages and tell me my observation is the one most deserving of the word over reaction :P

Why are you bringing up others people thoughts in our conversation? I brought up FFP yet you went off on one about other stuff. A couple of weeks won’t affect anything I stated. We are 7 pts off of most people’s minimum target for Bruce and that won’t be eroded in a couple of weeks. 

Â