Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just now, sidcow said:

If I suddenly see Taylor or Whelan in the team for no valid reason it will absolutely confirm you don't have a scooby. 

Hutton's more dangerous at LB than RB. Certainly tonight.

Hutton really is an enigma.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Who praises them? They were in the game for a good period of the first half and the beginning of the second half. When we scored our third they were deflated.

But, the match could have taken a different turn if say Jedi hadn't stopped their tap in chance. They weren't complete gash. We were just so, so much better.

It wasn’t Jedi who stopped it and that was their only effort in 90 mIns on target , I thought 5-0 flattered Bristol city and we were far better than them in all areas .

credit tonight to Bruce and his staff and the whole villa side who played superbly 

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Surely it's ok to think an opponent was poor even though we thrashed them. It's not taking anything away from Villa. We were superb. I just don't think Bristol City were very good. (I missed the first 20 minutes though where I understand they were on top).

Maybe that influenced my opinion.....but even the rest of the match despite us being on top I thought they were game and there were instances we were all getting excited to ensure we maintained momentum.

I accept your opinion.....I think they we re just beaten by a better team on the night.

Whether they were at their best or not.....quite frankly I don't give a damn as they wouldn't give a damn if the boot was on the other foot.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They were in the game at 2-0 and should have made it 2-1. Once we scored the 3rd it was game over. 

but some posts do not allude to that.

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

It should be said that Bristol City were poor today. They offered barely anything. They were there for the taking early on.

and it should be said I respectfully disagree.....They were no more for the taking than any other side we play.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

and it should be said I respectfully disagree.....They were no more for the taking than any other side we play.

No problem. You're entitled to your opinion.

If that implies they played as well as Sheff Utd, I disagree with you.

If I hadn't seen the table and you told me at the end of the game that Sheff Utd. were playoff contenders, I'd happily believe you.

If we say the same but replace it with Bristol, I'd never believe it. I'm amazed this lot are anywhere near top 6.

They even found time to push a big defender up front. A tactic derided here when Bruce does it with Samba, but for Bristol it's all part of their good play - the tactics branch.

They created less than Sheff Utd. Didn't get to grips with Grealish as well (at all, all night actually). Didn't trouble Johnstone as much. Didn't close down nearly as well. Left far more space in the middle of the pitch for Grealish to roam through (take the 50yard Grealish run to Snoddy for the goal - Mr Basham of Sheff Utd would've stopped that).

But if you think that means they were no more for the taking than Sheff Utd., so be it.

I think what we saw today was how devastating we can be if you come to Villa park and not on your game. We have the players to punish you.

I thiink they were quite naive for trying to give  us a game rather than sit deep and play on the break. But that's probably the managers way.

Played right in to our hands.

49 minutes ago, Heretic said:

You told me my future. If you don't have a crystal ball, I don't know how else you predict the future of posters. Tarot?

This all started because some posters felt that accurately appraising Bristol was a slight on Villa. If Bristol were bad, then Villa were bad too.

I think that's a fool's logic.

I didn't claim Villa were poor. They were very good.

How could they fluke 5-0? Surely it was obvious that Villa had to play well.

But there's a few very sensitive posters around here that live for conflict and they get their fill here by starting some if none comes their way.

They analyse comments that can be interpreted two ways and always pick the one that offers the most conflict.

Fortunately I don't share their troubled psychology.

Maybe your comments have been misconstrued, in which case apologies will be found.

No, lets get this right and in Perspective

We had a fantastic night of football tonight, where for once we had the performance and the Result against a team that are 3rd recently beating  Man U and acquitted themselves very well at Home to leading team Wolves.

Inadvertently or otherwise you attempted to dilute/negate our performance, but citing your opinion that Bristol City were poor.....you are of course entitled to that.

I have been on here so many times to hear performances of ours that have been pulled apart, despite the result being to everyones favour.....and in many cases justified I might add.

So when I see a game like tonight where so many players excelled for most of the game and so many individual performance rise above what we normally see forgive me for being so defensive.

For me, I thought Bristol fought well and had it within themselves to have secured the win, had the same fortune, bestowed them like Sheff Wed & Utd.....I say it again, you are entiled or anyone else to the opinion that Bristol were poor.....I guess their manager and fans will agree with you, because getting tanked masks over all the tenacity they showed, particularly early on.

We scored the goals and typically knocked them back, so confidence seeps away.

After watching our team struggle for performances I am not going to indulge myself in looking to tarnish a 5-0 win by claiming a bit of negative mitigation for the opposition......If they were poor fine, I don't think they was, I think we were just that much better on the night and beat a good team.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Inadvertently or otherwise you attempted to dilute/negate our performance, but citing your opinion that Bristol City were poor.....you are of course entitled to that.

No. You perceived something absent because you equated Bristol being poor with Villa being poor. I don't know why you would.

You picked the interpretation that offered the opportunity for conflict. That's an issue with you, not me.

Villa were very good. Who flukes their way to a 5-0 win? Whatever's put in front of you, you have to create the chances to beat it.

But they weren't as hard to beat as Sheff Utd, as one example. Not even close.

• Like 1

Credit where it’s due today.

If we can get some consistency with performances like this, we will be in with a shout of automatic promotion.

25 minutes ago, Heretic said:

No problem. You're entitled to your opinion.

If that implies they played as well as Sheff Utd, I disagree with you.

If I hadn't seen the table and you told me at the end of the game that Sheff Utd. were playoff contenders, I'd happily believe you.

If we say the same but replace it with Bristol, I'd never believe it. I'm amazed this lot are anywhere near top 6.

They even found time to push a big defender up front. A tactic derided here when Bruce does it with Samba, but for Bristol it's all part of their good play - the tactics branch.

They created less than Sheff Utd. Didn't get to grips with Grealish as well (at all, all night actually). Didn't trouble Johnstone as much. Didn't close down nearly as well. Left far more space in the middle of the pitch for Grealish to roam through (take the 50yard Grealish run to Snoddy for the goal - Mr Basham of Sheff Utd would've stopped that).

But if you think that means they were no more for the taking than Sheff Utd., so be it.

Listen, Its just good to disagree, we might both learn something.

• I don't like the word unplayable, but Jack was close to it tonight......wouldn't criticise them for that.....Even Bakers tackle reminiscent of the British Lions, failed to stop him.
  • I thought they were as good as Sheff Utd overall Sheff U's front 2 worked our back 2 much better than Bristol granted, hence forced our mistakes.
  • I am not amazed they are near top 6, they are a very good side.....we was just better on the night.
  • They played Flint in an effort to get an early goal to get there way back in to the game, just like Leeds use Janssen at corners and we sometimes use Samba ....Necessity is the mother of Invention, needs must.....but yes you are right, we applaud other teams who adopt tactics like that and find criticism for ourselves.....exactly my point.......we are good at self destruction.
  • The neggies you mention for them.....I would prefer to think our lads forced them on them.....so bully for us.
Edited by TRO

20 minutes ago, Heretic said:

No. You perceived something absent because you equated Bristol being poor with Villa being poor. I don't know why you would.

You picked the interpretation that offered the opportunity for conflict. That's an issue with you, not me.

Villa were very good. Who flukes their way to a 5-0 win? Whatever's put in front of you, you have to create the chances to beat it.

But they weren't as hard to beat as Sheff Utd, as one example. Not even close.

No, I didn't......what I perceived was that Villa was good.....but not that good,because Bristol was poor.

But why on a night of ecstacy in terms of delightful football for us......would you refer to Bristol being poor, what was your motive for that.

I mean who cares?.....unless its an attempt to discredit the win.

I never thought you were saying Villa was poor, but by deduction you were tarnishing or diluting our fantastic win with IMO irrelevances and demeaning our great result.

unless you was trying to make a point, that you no longer wish to make.?

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Listen, Its just good to disagree, we might both learn something.

• I don't like the word unplayable, but Jack was close to it tonight.
  • I thought they were as good as Sheff Utd overall Sheff U's front 2 worked our back 2 much better than Bristol granted, hence forced our mistakes.
  • I am not amazed they are near top 6, they are a very good side.....we was just better on the night.
  • They played Flint in an effort to get an early goal to get there way back in to the game, just like Leeds use Janssen at corners and we sometimes use Samba ....Necessity is the mother of Invention, needs must.....but yes you are right, we applaud other teams who adopt tactics like that and find criticism for ourselves.....exactly my point.......we are good at self destruction.
  • The neggies you mention for them.....I would prefer to think our lads forced them on them.....so bully for us.

You're as entitled to your opinion as I am. You watched the game as I did.

I thought Jack was excellent. But IMO, they gave him far too much freedom in the middle. Sheff Utd had clearly identified his dangerousness.

I don't think Bristol had heard of him before. They let him play and he ran rings around them. Great for us and Jack. Jack's showing the player that's always been there and hopefully will be there more consistently.

Bristol made a tactical error in not getting to him quickly enough. He's the best player in the team with the ball at his feet.

Allowing a guy to run from his own half (I think he started there) to the edge of your penalty area (the pass for Snoddy's goal) without any of your team near him isn't good play or Jack's brilliance. All you need is someone with the legs to get near him and put him off. That's not even football - it's athletics.

It's just awful. It's the first thing the Bristol manager will bring up in the team meeting when they show the video - how can he waltz through untouched?

He didn't even have to ride tackles. Just run.

I acknowledge it's just one phase of play, quite true. But they stood off him too much, and got punished.

Surely scouts seeing this match will scratch off the 'let Grealish roam unfettered' as a tactic.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

No, I didn't......what I perceived was that Villa was good.....but not that good,because Bristol was poor.

But why on a night of ecstacy in terms of delightful football for us......would you refer to Bristol being poor, what was your motive for that.

I mean who cares?.....unless its an attempt to discredit the win.

I never thought you were saying Villa was poor, but by deduction you were tarnishing or diluting our fantastic win with IMO irrelevances and demeaning our great result.

Come on TRO. You can still comment on how you felt the opponent played without it being an attempt to discredit your own teams performance. 

5-0 is a superb result. Everybody is happy ;)

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I mean who cares?

Who cares?

You. It's why you've quoted it.

It was an assessment of Bristol's performance over 90 minutes, that's all. I imagine it's an assessment that their manager will share.

When you assess the performance of Villa, it isn't irrelevant to assess the opposition.

When assessing Celtic's 7-1 defeat, is it irrelevant to point out it was to PSG, not Greenock Morton?

The real issue is why you take forum posts so personally? It's almost as if your entire night has been ruined. I didn't intend for that to happen, I assure you. I don't take posts as personal slights or let other fan opinions dilute or amplify my enjoyment or despair at Villa.

I can't tarnish anything. I don't have the power. I'm sure the club, the players, and manager couldn't care less what I think and nothing I've said has tarnished anything for them. They doin't know I exist.

I read views, offer mine as long as I'm allowed and choose to, and debate a little because we all have something in common despite often never meeting - Aston Villa.

After a short while, I realise that the other person won't change (as I often don't, but sometimes do) so I move on unoffended.

Nothing significant in my life turns on the forum.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Heretic said:

You're as entitled to your opinion as I am. You watched the game as I did.

I thought Jack was excellent. But IMO, they gave him far too much freedom in the middle. Sheff Utd had clearly identified his dangerousness.

I don't think Bristol had heard of him before. They let him play and he ran rings around them. Great for us and Jack. Jack's showing the player that's always been there and hopefully will be there more consistently.

Bristol made a tactical error in not getting to him quickly enough. He's the best player in the team with the ball at his feet.

Allowing a guy to run from his own half (I think he started there) to the edge of your penalty area (the pass for Snoddy's goal) without any of your team near him isn't good play or Jack's brilliance. All you need is someone with the legs to get near him and put him off. That's not even football - it's athletics.

It's just awful. It's the first thing the Bristol manager will bring up in the team meeting when they show the video - how can he waltz through untouched?

He didn't even have to ride tackles. Just run.

I acknowledge it's just one phase of play, quite true. But they stood off him too much, and got punished.

Surely scouts seeing this match will scratch off the 'let Grealish roam unfettered' as a tactic.

Like i say opinions vary.....yes I take your point about standing off.....one of my hobby horse things.

At a time in the season when i Have heard all the **** aimed at us from the media etc.

I am going to look at all the positives and wallow in them......and personally I think every Villa fan deserves that tonight.

Incidentally, nothing personal.....I enjoy your posts.

:)

Â