Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

You certainly argue your case well tro and that is a very good post if I may say . 

Eastie....The guys maybe right and I maybe wrong, but lets not throw the baby out with the bath water, it wasn't so long ago, i was saying to myself about Snodgrass...wish we had him......Terry was just a dream.

These guys have just arrived.

It doesn't matter who the manager is, where he has come from, what era he has arrived from and who his mates are.....If he doesn't win games he will be scrutinised like a forensic scientist goes through his corpses.

Steve Bruce is no exception.....but i would ask everyone on here check out their ability to win games and you might be surprised what you find.

Every other mans grass is not always greener.

I think our situation in the championship cannot go unchecked and i am with the guys on that.....but I don't think we can come to that conclusion just yet.

I thought "Villa Bromsgrove" made an excellent observation in one of his recent posts and I do consider these things when I defend Bruce.....The very things he mentioned irritates me when I watch the team, but equally wonder if all that is down to Bruce personally.

many things have come out after the Liverpool/Arsenal debacle by Wenger.....its all very uncertain where the blame lies in these situations ( its a cop out to say manager every time) in my view......we can all speculate and call it fact.....is that helpful?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

Eastie....The guys maybe right and I maybe wrong, but lets not throw the baby out with the bath water, it wasn't so long ago, i was saying to myself about Snodgrass...wish we had him......Terry was just a dream.

These guys have just arrived.

It doesn't matter who the manager is, where he has come from, what era he has arrived from and who his mates are.....If he doesn't win games he will be scrutinised like a forensic scientist goes through his corpses.

Steve Bruce is no exception.....but i would ask everyone on here check out their ability to win games and you might be surprised what you find.

Every other mans grass is not always greener.

I think our situation in the championship cannot go unchecked and i am with the guys on that.....but I don't think we can come to that conclusion just yet.

I thought "Villa Bromsgrove" made an excellent observation in one of his recent posts and I do consider these things when I defend Bruce.....The very things he mentioned irritates me when I watch the team, but equally wonder if all that is down to Bruce personally.

many things have come out after the Liverpool/Arsenal debacle by Wenger.....its all very uncertain where the blame lies in these situations ( its a cop out to say manager every time) in my view......we can all speculate and call it fact.....is that helpful?

I think by the end of this month we may have our answer one way or another .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I say this respectfully

Even if someone hates the sight of the man......do you honestly think those 2 games at home( and all the logistics involved) have gone missing from his notice.

no, nor me.

Look, whether he is this or whether he is that.....or whether he lasts through September......give him a bit of credit for not being completely stupid.

I am not arguing with anyone about Steve Bruce, everyone on here knows my position and I pretty much know theirs( I think) but some of the stuff written against him is dubious Imo.

Can I give him credit for a completely stupid team selection? I think Bruce is a good experienced manager but he is struggling under the pressure of the job. There's no other reason to keep swapping and changing. He never even had the balls to commit to 3 at the back. You either go for it or not. We ended up playing 541. You either pick the right players to try to go 352 or 343 we never. Bruce needs to grow a pair or he's done for. Don't speak about shutting people up after 1 good result talk about winning the league and us being one of the best teams in this league. You've got the pressure already. Embrace it and give us fans the confidence you can do the job. Starting with attacking Brenford for 90 min. 

• Like 4

Despite what we might think from the comfort of our couches, beds, and toilet seats in front of the laptop, being the manager of Aston Villa is by far not an easy job. If you want an easy job in management, become manager of the Harlem Globetrotters, where its scripted that you win every game and everything comes out peachy.

I cannot begrudge Steve Bruce having a holiday away. If he returns mentally reset, it could be like having a new manager. A new manager that knows exactly what he needs to do, and what he should never do again. His away tactics need a serious overhaul. We will not get promotion by going defensive. No more trying to unlock Villa's potential by jamming sausages into keyholes, actually play players in the positions they are comfortable with.

We " should" have a good September. If not, there cannot be any lingering doubts that he should go.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

However, my worry is that, will we do more harm than good and judging by the size of this task is it too soon for all these players that have been arriving at a rapid rate since he took over.....they all have to blend.

You're not seriously still persisting with this argument? How long does it take to have them "blend"? Should we wait until Christmas? Then sign a few more in January, that'll need at least until the end of the season in order to "blend". 

Ever wonder why players signed by Steve Bruce seem to take forever to blend?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TRO said:

.....give him a bit of credit for not being completely stupid.

So you think it was a brilliant move changing a formation that had just won two games on the trot and produced 8 goals? 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, vreitti said:

You're not seriously still persisting with this argument? How long does it take to have them "blend"? Should we wait until Christmas? Then sign a few more in January, that'll need at least until the end of the season in order to "blend". 

I imagine this comment is the crux of TROs point. You know full well that many players from many different teams take all different amounts of time to settle, to bed in.

Yet here you're singling out Bruce for it.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, vreitti said:

So you think it was a brilliant move changing a formation that had just won two games on the trot and produced 8 goals? 

....but I am not going to answer these questions because i already have weeks ago.....If you think you sign loads of players and they all hit the ground running fine.....stick with it.

15 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

I imagine this comment is the crux of TROs point. You know full well that many players from many different teams take all different amounts of time to settle, to bed in.

Yet here you're singling out Bruce for it.

precisely,

especially how many we have signed.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, AJ said:

I am pretty confident that players will blend in quicker if they were played in positions and formations that they are comfortable and familiar with.

I guess thats true......I guess they will also blend in quicker, when you have a few of your better players back from injury too.

so, all in all.....there is quite a few factors to get right.....takes time, don't it.

1 hour ago, vreitti said:

I am surprised you have written that.....send that to a random selection of football managers and let me know what they say.:)

38 minutes ago, AJ said:

I am pretty confident that players will blend in quicker if they were played in positions and formations that they are comfortable and familiar with.

On the other hand, I am pretty confident that players who feel "comfortable" and "familiar" will more often than not get thoroughly thrashed in games. Sounds a bit like Lescott and Richards.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

On the other hand, I am pretty confident that players who feel "comfortable" and "familiar" will more often than not get thoroughly thrashed in games. Sounds a bit like Lescott and Richards.

Not quite what I was getting at. I was referring to actual footballers, with talent. :)

51 minutes ago, TRO said:

I guess thats true......I guess they will also blend in quicker, when you have a few of your better players back from injury too.

so, all in all.....there is quite a few factors to get right.....takes time, don't it.

Yes, the answer to how long players take to blend in is the same answer to the question, "How long is a piece of string?" The manager, through familiarisation with his players and the use of tactics can determine how long that takes.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vreitti said:

Bizarelly, he was on TalkSport either the day before or on the day of the game.

The presenters asked him randomly about whether he had considered playing three at the back.

I kid you not, it was almost like he had a Eureka! moment...

lo and behold... we started with three at the back. :blink:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TRO said:

....but I am not going to answer these questions because i already have weeks ago.....If you think you sign loads of players and they all hit the ground running fine.....stick with it.

When did I say that? 

I just think it's a little ironic that the only players seemingly "blended" in Bruce's team is the ones he didn't sign.

I do actually seriously question the managers ability, even if you don't. 

8 hours ago, TRO said:

I am surprised you have written that.....send that to a random selection of football managers and let me know what they say.:)

They would probably say something like "yes, they will blend more quickly if you play them in a position they are familiar with playing in, in a team that is settled so that they know who their teammates are and how they play, if they have a set style of play to adapt to and clear instructions from the manager in a formation which plays to their strengths. You know what would be stupid would be to change the team and formation every game and play those players in positions they are not familiar with with different team mates each time, that would put you on a hiding to nothing and will never work, only an idiot would do that." 

Seriously - I cannot believe that people are still spouting stuff like give him time and players need to blend. :angry: :huh:. Players need time, yes they do, some longer than others, but ours seem to need at least a season en-masse. That is down to the manager NOT providing stability. Oh my word. What is going to magically change over the next 5 games? seriously - can anyone see Bruce suddenly seeing the light and changing 20+ years of management style to suddenly click with this team. I was hoping we had turned a corner with the two good results, but then he went 3 at the back and ended up playing Chester at RB, showing that he had learned nothing. 

It makes me want to pull my hair out when I hear people saying we need stability, so we should stick with Bruce. He is not providing stability - he is changing the team and formation every sodding game (when did we last play two-three games unchanged?). That is not stability and is one of the reasons we are as shit as we are.

It us an utter disgrace that after 40+ games and nearly a year (or three months I cant remember which) of being here he does not have a first team of players, or a set formation. 

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 4

Â