Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

26 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

What did Eddie Howe do before Bournemouth?  What kind of question is That ? There is no reason why we can't play a better brand of football, its not asking much . The fact is , Steve Bruce teams don't play that way ,and well you know it . Just because a teams rebuilding, that doesn't negate good football ,or at least some semblance of it

A legitimate one.

you obviously don't read all my posts, I have answered my take on why the brand of football is possibly the way it is......Steve Bruce's gesticulations from the side line during games, suggest the contrary to what you have him down for.....It is not commensurate with playing to plan in terms of the spectacle

do you honestly think Steve Bruce is asking them to play in a way that has you with your head in your hands

Sorry, I should know better asking that question.

I think you are getting confused between what he is responsible for......and what the players are giving him.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, TRO said:

A legitimate one.

you obviously don't read all my posts, I have answered my take on why the brand of football is possibly the way it is......Steve Bruce's gesticulations from the side line during games, suggest the contrary to what you have him down for.....It is not commensurate with playing to plan in terms of the spectacle

do you honestly think Steve Bruce is asking them to play in a way that has you with your head in your hands

I think you are getting confused between what he is responsible for......and what the players are giving him.

But Tro

Bruce doing his nut on the sideline is a bit like - Giving a kid just a spoon to eat his meat and veg, then shouting at him for loading his spoon up with the cuts of meat hanging of the side.

"Eat properly" "where did you learn that"

In other words

Bruce : "keep it tight at the back lads, you all know your defencive duties, track back, defend as a team"

Player : " Oh shit, under pressure here, no immediate viable outlet, Bollox to it, here we go, hoooooooooooof"

Bruce : "F***  what was that? what are you doing? ffs? repeat ad infinitum............"

When will you accept its his design, directly & indirectly, he know not another way. It wont get better. Thats why the likes of GH are concerned that it wont work having the likes of Kodjia, Hogan, Adomah, Grealish, Lansbury and Hourihane at his disposal and playing then in a way that doesnt play to their strengths.

And you want to give it a go over 46 games?

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

But Tro

Bruce doing his nut on the sideline is a bit like - Giving a kid just a spoon to eat his meat and veg, then shouting at him for loading his spoon up with the cuts of meat hanging of the side.

In other words

Bruce : "keep it tight at the back lads, you all know your defencive duties, track back, defend as a team"

Player : " Oh shit, under pressure here, no immediate viable outlet, Bollox to it, here we go, hoooooooooooof"

Bruce : "F***  what was that? what are you doing? ffs? repeat ad infinitum............"

That's a fair response GH

but you don't go from 4 wins in 18 months.......to 2 goals conceded in 9 games and 7 wins in 8......without growing pains.

There has and had to be radical changes.....the acceptable spectacle may have taken a bashing in doing so.

Example...

"The bank/ Airline may increase security and in doing so, effects customer service/ experience.

you are not wrong in what you are witnessing, I am with you......I just happen to think your expectation is a bit premature.

just My opinion.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

But Tro

In other words

When will you accept its his design, directly & indirectly, he know not another way. It wont get better. Thats why the likes of GH are concerned that it wont work having the likes of Kodjia, Hogan, Adomah, Grealish, Lansbury and Hourihane at his disposal and playing then in a way that doesnt play to their strengths.

And you want to give it a go over 46 games?

But we had a manager that gave us a better spectacle, he launched the season with 1 win in 14;)

i just don't think it's as simple as you are suggesting.

56 minutes ago, TRO said:

A legitimate one.

What was Eddie Howe doing before Bournemouth ? And what is the relevance ?

Eddie Howe is someone I can easily see us going for in a year or two...the sort of stage 2 manager/team development Wyness was on about in February.

I don't see Arsenal or a team of that calibre coming in for him anytime soon so he'd be the sort of candidate I'd imagine we'd look at to take us back into the 6th-8th position in the premier league and try to develop us into a consistent team in those spots.

As much as I like SB and expect him to get us promotion next season I just don't see him capable of achieving that and certainly not how the owner will expect to achieve it.

Edited by VillaChris

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

What was Eddie Howe doing before Bournemouth ? And what is the relevance ?

He was manager of Burnley.....I have already answered this.....and then they appointed Sean Dyche who dramatically improved things.

it is a point that suits my argument as you have chosen his time at Bournemouth to suit yours.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I'm sure there was nothing malicious on your part. I myself like Steve Bruce as a bloke, he passes my, "would I have a pint with him", test. However I want to believe he will get us promoted, but a part of me doubts him. I'm not sitting on the fence, more leaning up it waiting to see how things develop. I'm sure though that anyone who is obsessed enough with The Villa to come in here and spout on like we all do, whatever their opinion is, wants only what's the best for the club. 

Ditto

except I don't doubt him.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I'm sure there was nothing malicious on your part. I myself like Steve Bruce as a bloke, he passes my, "would I have a pint with him", test. However I want to believe he will get us promoted, but a part of me doubts him. I'm not sitting on the fence, more leaning up it waiting to see how things develop. I'm sure though that anyone who is obsessed enough with The Villa to come in here and spout on like we all do, whatever their opinion is, wants only what's the best for the club. 

Well said Dave , a gent if ever I heard one .

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

But we had a manager that gave us a better spectacle, he launched the season with 1 win in 14;)

i just don't think it's as simple as you are suggesting.

Now now Tro, you know thats a weak contra.

RDM was as clueless as TS was

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

He was manager of Burnley.....I have already answered this.....and then they appointed Sean Dyche who dramatically improved things.

it is a point that suits my argument as you have chosen his time at Bournemouth to suit yours.

My point is ,how he likes his teams to play ,and from what I've witnessed,it's a style that I find very attractive , simple as .

4 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Now now Tro, you know thats a weak contra.

RDM was as clueless as TS was

So who is this nailed on man, GH?

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

My point is ,how he likes his teams to play ,and from what I've witnessed,it's a style that I find very attractive , simple as .

So, by deduction, you liked his time at Burnley too.

finishing 8th & 13th respectively.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I like the football his teams play , which part of that don't you understand ?

I don't understand the bit that tells me that you have little consideration for anything else.......the football you like to see does not always bring results. RDM illustrated that.

but hey!

each to their own.

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

The best 'brand' of football is winning football. The recent run of wins we had is fact, to say it's unsustainable is opinion. 

Im sure if Hull had finished 9th and their best ever season in the prem (like wigan under Bruce) then they would prefer that to any manager they've ever had. It's a results based business and so long as we win I don't give a shit. Every fan will tell you the same (look at arsenal fans now, I'm sure they would be delighted to grind out a series of shit 1-0 wins). 

Now, end of fact and back to your opinions of how Bruce won't succeed to keep this vicious cycle circling.

Doesn't sound like you don't give a shit .

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

So who is this nailed on man, GH?

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/16298-the-run-in/?do=findComment&comment=2200091

I was asked this before in another thread.

I didnt want to list anyone because of fhe simple fact that all of us on here are no hopers when it comes to making such a decision. And some dumbf*** would do their best at ridiculing my list.

What I will say is there are not many current PL managers who would come here. Those ex-PL-ers are ex for a reason.

We dont possess the cuth to unearth a Poch, Puel or the Hull guy. so where does that leave us?

1) A Pulis, Alladyce, Warnock, Basset, Bruce-type (British but shit) 

or

2) We give the likes of a Stam, Wagner, Calhavo, Fulham guy a go

or

3) Monk, Dean, Grayson, Clough come into the equation.

Who would come is another question.

Now if all of the above slammed there resumes on Wyness's table, I really hope he'd put 1) straight in the bin and interview anyone willing from 2) & 3)

Edited by Grasshopper

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I don't understand the bit that tells me that you have little consideration for anything else.......the football you like to see does not always bring results. RDM illustrated that.

but hey!

each to their own.

Finally .

11 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/16298-the-run-in/?do=findComment&comment=2200091

I was asked this before in another thread.

I didnt want to list anyone because of fhe simple fact that all of us on here are no hopers when it comes to making such a decision. And some dumbf*** would do their best at ridiculing my list.

What I will say is there are not many current PL managers who would come here. Those ex-PL-ers are ex for a reason.

We dont possess the cuth to unearth a Poch, Puel or the Hull guy. so where does that leave us?

1) A Pulis, Alladyce, Warnock, Basset, Bruce-type (British but shit) 

or

2) We give the likes of a Stam, Wagner, Calhavo, Fulham guy a go

or

3) Monk, Dean, Grayson, Clough come into the equation.

Who would come is another question.

Now if all of the above slammed there resumes on Wyness's table, I really hope he'd put 1) straight in the bin and interview anyone willing from 2) & 3)

I have to say GH......there is a definite pattern to all those nominations 2& 3;)

Dean? Did you mean Dean Smith?

Edited by TRO

Â