World Cupski Group D Qual

chrisp65

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

serbia are such a mess of a national team, on paper they should be quite decent (won the euro U21 and U20 world cup in last 5 years) but they constantly under perform, have horrible fans and a floundering league

Every qualification they always get deducted points for crowd problems...they could win this group by 5 points.....and be deducted 10 points for crowd trouble.

In fairness this is a good point for ROI as Serbia alwaysa bogey team for home nations....

Serbia 6-1 Wales

Serbia 2-0 Scotland

Serbia 2-1 Norn Iron

It's a good point over there. Don't think ROI will win enough games to finish top 2 though...

• Like 1

4:0 Wales, a nice bit of goal difference

still struggling to nail the team photo

CrniUAPXYAA7HGg.jpg

press conference before the game:

journo to Moldova Manager - 'will you be parking the bus tonight and hoping for a draw?'

Moldovan Manager - 'we don't have a bus, maybe we have a car, we'll park that.'

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

Serbia will do nothing in this group.  We got a draw after we played terrible.  Every time we decided to actually play coherently, we thoroughly out-classed them, and that was with them getting massive amounts of help from their neighbouring Hungarian referee including a truly terrible penalty.  Then there's their players' antics.  They are tramps.  Apart from the dive, they had cynical fouls and all the holding and play-acting.    There's nothing redeeming about that side.

On one hand, because of the way we decided to play, we can say we nicked a point.  On the other hand because Serbia are clearly shit, we can say on another day that it's 2 points dropped.

Either way, Wales will look at that and be quite happy that they'll go there and easily do the business.

From our point of view it's damage limitation and we're still at the party.

was definite 2 points dropped and showed O'Neill limitations as a manager. Manager didnt have the balls to go for it at 1-0 especially when Long has had the better of Ivanovic in recent times and Ivanovic was terrified at times from him. They were better technically than us and on a good surface would have tore us to shreds if had a better striker than Mitrovic.

Dont think teams will go and win easily in Belgrade as they also have Matic and Kolarov who are huge for their team plus crucially they will have an atmosphere in next few games as weather meant a low turnout which also played into our hands

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Bale out of the last two qualifiers is a big blow for Wales. So many nearly men, so many hard luck stories. Going to be an interesting few days. I just hope they can do it. Couldn't handle another Bodin penalty type scenario or god forbid another Joe Jordan moment.

Don't worry folks "Serbia will do nothing in this group":lol:

I still wouldn't put it past ROI nicking 2nd but yes big fear whoever does finish 2nd will miss out on play offs which is such a stupid rule.

Will either be this group or Bosnia/Grecce group.

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Don't worry folks "Serbia will do nothing in this group":lol:

I was just reading that yesterday :( The rest of us are a disgrace allowing that lot to be so far ahead.  We must have given them a wake-up call in game 1.  Yes they were missing some big names too, but they really were muck.  Anyone coming out of this group will be fodder for the main tournament.  Although by saying, watch Serbia tear it up now :D

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I still wouldn't put it past ROI nicking 2nd 

I would. They'll plod to victory over Moldova tomorrow but I can't see them beating Wales away. There aren't any goals in the side and without wanting to drag up an old chestnut the manager is shite. 

O'Neill has said he wouldn't be against putting a debutant straight in against Moldova if needs be, and depending on how training goes this week.  I'm hoping with the omission of Jon Walters that it's a hint we might see Hogan from the start.  That could be an ideal debut against the poorest side in the group.  We have goals if he can hit the ground running with the right creativity in midfield.  The problem then becomes; as @villa89 hints at; O'Neill's lack of bravery in the away game.  He is Jekyll & Hyde home and away.

Just now, Zatman said:

I would play maguire ahead of hogan

Yeah he has done very well.  Hopefully both will push each other.  McGrath forbid we go 4-4-2 and use the 2 of them and let their competitive edge try to outscore each other :D 

Â